Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Because I don't think Lennox Lewis was really anybody special. He was not on the level of Bowe/Holyfield. A fight with Lewis is as good as fighting Ruddock, Tucker, Bruno, Morrison, etc at the time.

People can blame Bowe if they want, but why in 1993-1995 did Lennox never fight Holyfield either?
    Holyfield lost twice during that period, and even announced his retirement after the Moorer loss. Obviously Lewis losing in that period didn't help either.

Comment

I thought Bowe and Rock Newman was just waiting for the right time to fight Lennox Lewis, they were'nt ready in '93, and their plans just didnt went the way they wanted, Ray Mercer was penciled to faced Bowe but got upset by boogeyman Ferguson, and Holyfield was not expect to turn the tables over Bowe and regain the title.

Lewis himself was robbed of a premature stoppage by the ref in the 2nd roiund TKO loss against Oliver McCall in London in Sept.'94, Bowe vs Lewis was always possible until Bowe ran into Golota.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
        I thought Bowe and Rock Newman was just waiting for the right time to fight Lennox Lewis, they were'nt ready in '93
        Bowe was 31-0, Lewis 21-0. Both came from extensive amateur backgrounds and both had fought roughly the same level of opposition as pro's. They were the number one and two rated heavyweights with Bowe coming off an impressive win over Holyfield and Lewis an impressive ko of Ruddock. There was no better time and Bowe low balled Lewis than dumped the WBC title so he couldn't be forced to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Bowe was 31-0, Lewis 21-0. Both came from extensive amateur backgrounds and both had fought roughly the same level of opposition as pro's. They were the number one and two rated heavyweights with Bowe coming off an impressive win over Holyfield and Lewis an impressive ko of Ruddock. There was no better time and Bowe low balled Lewis than dumped the WBC title so he couldn't be forced to fight him.
          The way you put it now 20yrs later it is easy to say it looked the biggest fight yet you are ignoring that Lewis was unknown outside London & Canada

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
            The way you put it now 20yrs later it is easy to say it looked the biggest fight yet you are ignoring that Lewis was unknown outside London & Canada

With all due respect Sonny, why are you speaking for the rest of the world? The United Stated was/is the epicenter of boxing. I live here, I know what the buzz was. And after the Ruddock demolition (a fight many thought he wasn't ready for) the was a huge cry for Bowe-Lewis to be made. Both were fighting for HBO, both were finalists in the same weight class in the 1988 Olympics and both were ranked 1 and 2 professionally. Lewis had also been on the covers of both KO and The Ring ****zines...both American publications. Lewis even did some commentary for the Bowe-Holyfield fight. So please my friend, stop wth the excuses. The public knew about and wanted this fight. Bowe tried low balling him and than dumped the WBC belt to avoid him. What part of my post is factually incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

With all due respect Sonny, why are you speaking for the rest of the world? The United Stated was/is the epicenter of boxing. I live here, I know what the buzz was. And after the Ruddock demolition (a fight many thought he wasn't ready for) the was a huge cry for Bowe-Lewis to be made. Both were fighting for HBO, both were finalists in the same weight class in the 1988 Olympics and both were ranked 1 and 2 professionally. Lewis had also been on the covers of both KO and The Ring ****zines...both American publications. Lewis even did some commentary for the Bowe-Holyfield fight. So please my friend, stop wth the excuses. The public knew about and wanted this fight. Bowe tried low balling him and than dumped the WBC belt to avoid him. What part of my post is factually incorrect?
              i am from the UK not the USA and Lewis is English yet you are speaking for us Brits... The Lewis camp dragged their feet not wanting to risk a fight against Rid**** Bowe who looked awesome in winning the title from Holyfield.. TV pundit Barry McGuigan & IBHOF commentator Reg Gutteridge both felt Lewis stood little chance against Bowe and voiced that opinion on the TV.. Lewis took a belt out of the bin and struggled defending it against washed-up opposition while Bowe was introduced as THEE Heavyweight Champion of the World in his fights against Ferguson, Dokes & Holyfield.. Lewis had no recognition so had to fight on a Don King bonanza bill which included Julio Cesar Chavez & Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClelland.. Rid**** Bowe was the man who beat the man...is Bowe telling lies in your opinion in this video?

Comment

Not THE video

Comment

Did Eddie Futch ever comment on why this fight didnt happen?

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    What I'm saying is he fought Vitali when he didn't have to. That's a fact.
                    Vitali was his wbc mandatory and had even taken the wbc to court to force them to enforce their own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by IronMike* View Post
                      Did Eddie Futch ever comment on why this fight didnt happen?
                      This is what Eddie Futch said:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/a...f&pqatl=google

Comment

Working...
                      X