Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    Scott let me ask you how you see the fight playing out? I know you are a huge Lennox fan, but do you honestly believe he would have beaten Bowe in 1993? Bowe, despite your claim that he would become a fat slob and never recover, was still able to have a classic trilogy with Evander Holyfield and score a knockout over Evander, something Lewis dreamed of but could never come close to doing...
    At the time I thought Lewis had a great shot at beating Bowe. Some seem to forget how stunning LL's KO over Ruddock was at the time. You didn't hear how Tyson supposedly had ruined him until after the fact. And I was excited about seeing how it would play out. While the first two fights were excellent, I thought the 3rd Bowe-Holy fight was total crap, with both fighters looking terrible. That and the first Moorer fight were easily Evander's worst performances (he claimed he was ill or injured for both) until the first Lewis fight.

And honestly I don't consider myself a huge Lewis fan. I just thought he was highly underrated compared to the top American's of that time. Lennox didn't get his due until he finally KO'd Tyson, which how these things usually go. I'm much more of a fan of the Klitschko's and was rooting for Vitali to pull off the upset when I was there live.

Comment

• What is the name of the girl in your avatar? Jesus

edit: that was for joseph, his post is gone tho

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        At the time I thought Lewis had a great shot at beating Bowe. Some seem to forget how stunning LL's KO over Ruddock was at the time. You didn't hear how Tyson supposedly had ruined him until after the fact. And I was excited about seeing how it would play out. While the first two fights were excellent, I thought the 3rd Bowe-Holy fight was total crap, with both fighters looking terrible. That and the first Moorer fight were easily Evander's worst performances (he claimed he was ill or injured for both) until the first Lewis fight.

And honestly I don't consider myself a huge Lewis fan. I just thought he was highly underrated compared to the top American's of that time. Lennox didn't get his due until he finally KO'd Tyson, which how these things usually go. I'm much more of a fan of the Klitschko's and was rooting for Vitali to pull off the upset when I was there live.

Excellent post and refreshing to read the truth rather than revised accounts of what went down in 1993. I also thought Lewis had a great shot at beating Bowe. And to be honest, I think Rock Newman did too. Another fact is that after Bowe/Lewis fight fell through, Lewis went on to fight his mandatory Tony Tucker who was a better opponent than the version of Michael Dokes and Jesse Ferguson Bowe chose to fight. Bowe wasn't exactly fighting the terrors of the division outside of Holyfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
          What is the name of the girl in your avatar? Jesus

edit: that was for joseph, his post is gone tho
          Carlos, her name is Jenn Guevara campos (Jennifer). I love looking at her
          Last edited by joseph5620; 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Bowe was ridiculed by boxing insiders as well as casual fans. I remember very well the atmosphere surrounding those circumstances and nobody was applauding Bowe for making a stand, but denouncing him for being a coward. And Im sorry, but a 90/10 purse split (in 1993) isn't pricing yourself out, its being low balled and avoided.
            I remember that as well. I can remember Merchant openly criticizing Bowe.

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              Excellent post and refreshing to read the truth rather than revised accounts of what went down in 1993. I also thought Lewis had a great shot at beating Bowe. And to be honest, I think Rock Newman did too. Another fact is that after Bowe/Lewis fight fell through, Lewis went on to fight his mandatory Tony Tucker who was a better opponent than the version of Michael Dokes and Jesse Ferguson Bowe chose to fight. Bowe wasn't exactly fighting the terrors of the division outside of Holyfield.
              You keep stating that things are "FACT" but what evidence do you have to prove them as "FACT" absolutely nothing!

Tony Tucker was a recovering junkie who held a version of the Heavyweight title for something like 72 days and was a shot fighter by the time he fought Lewis... here is Eddie Futch view of that fight.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/boston/a...f&pqatl=google

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post

Lewis priced himself out of a fight in 93 and turned down a second chance of fighting Bowe in 95 for a 50/50 purse split..

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ewman-dan-duva

Comment

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Dokes was a former Champion on a 10 fight win streak and Ferguson had just beaten the official No1 contender Ray Mercer... both Dokes and Ferguson was far better than Frans Botha who Lewis chose to fight rather than No1 contender John Ruiz with Botha's last 3 fights being 1-1-1

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    In 1993 I would have picked Bowe, but that is beside the point. After Bowe beat Holy and Lewis beat Ruddock the had an agreement to fight. At that time (1993) Bowe offered a 90/10 purse split. After it was rejected he dumped his WBC title to avoid the fight being forced. At that time casual fans as well as hardcore fans and boxing insiders were outraged at Bowes blatant "ducking" of Lewis.Im sure there were some that felt like you, but just like this poll reflects, the vast majority were outraged that Rid**** would avoid a fight with the number 1 heavyweight and the guy who had beaten him in the 88' Olympic finals. Pick up any boxing ****zine in the months immediately following these events and you can no longer have any doubt.
                    JAB... your poll on this subject is flawed as we do not know the age of those who voted and unto we do a poll cannot be done because anyone under the age of 35yrs old could not have been following boxing at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Lewis priced himself out of a fight in 93 and turned down a second chance of fighting Bowe in 95 for a 50/50 purse split..

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ewman-dan-duva
                      Right after Bowe beat Holy and Lewis beat Ruddock, in 1993, Lewis was offered a 10% of 32 million. That is an insulting offer to avoid a fight that was already agreed upon. What happened down the road is irrelevant to this moment in time and questioning Lewis decision to fight his mandatory (a drug addict) while Bowe ducked his another drug addict is hypocritical.

Does anyone know what percentage of the purse Bowe received to fight Evander? I would bet my house he wasn't low balled at 10%.

Comment

Working...
                      X