No announcement yet.

How Great is Sam Langford?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McGrain View Post
    For me, he's the greatest fighter that ever lived.

He out-boxed and out-generalled one of the greatest boxer-generals in history, taking a points victory from Gans at the mdoern light-welter limit as a mere teenager.

From here, he made it all the way to HW, scoring a one-punch KO over one of the greatest HW's that ever boxed in the form of Harry Wills. Past prime, near blind, he has a two round knockout over Tiger Flowers who is in contention for a top 10 spot at MW. In between he outboxed or outfought some of the greatest fighters of the era, including Barbados Joe Walcott, Sam McVey, Jeff Clark, Kid Norfolk, Joe Jeanette and Jack O'Brien.

No former lightweight can be spoken of as a candidate for top 20 honours at HW, no other fighter can lay claim to the pure quality of names in so many divisions.

All he has for company are Greb and Robinson and arguably Armstrong.
    - - Not a bad summation.

Don't make me beat up your dog though. Keep him leashed at all times.

Comment

Best p4p fighter ever followed by Greb, Robinson, Armstrong and Charles. In my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by McGrain View Post
        For me, he's the greatest fighter that ever lived.

He out-boxed and out-generalled one of the greatest boxer-generals in history, taking a points victory from Gans at the mdoern light-welter limit as a mere teenager.

From here, he made it all the way to HW, scoring a one-punch KO over one of the greatest HW's that ever boxed in the form of Harry Wills. Past prime, near blind, he has a two round knockout over Tiger Flowers who is in contention for a top 10 spot at MW. In between he outboxed or outfought some of the greatest fighters of the era, including Barbados Joe Walcott, Sam McVey, Jeff Clark, Kid Norfolk, Joe Jeanette and Jack O'Brien.

No former lightweight can be spoken of as a candidate for top 20 honours at HW, no other fighter can lay claim to the pure quality of names in so many divisions.

All he has for company are Greb and Robinson and arguably Armstrong.
        Top ten P4P and probably top 5 with;
        Greb
        Robinson
        Armstrong
        Charles

Comment

He’s in my top ten of all-time greats.

Comment

Langford's career is amazing. From a teenage light weight maturing to a full grown heavyweight he accomplished a great deal. It is a shame he never got a title shot. Lord knows he tried and even had signed contracts to get one, along with various offers.
            JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post
              Langford's career is amazing. From a teenage light weight maturing to a full grown heavyweight he accomplished a great deal. It is a shame he never got a title shot. Lord knows he tried and even had signed contracts to get one, along with various offers.
              If only Ketchel hadn't been murdered. That was Sam's best shot I believe at getting a title.

Comment

imo Langford could have been Light heavy champ anytime from 1911 to 1916.
                Last edited by Ivich; 10-28-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

If only Ketchel hadn't been murdered. That was Sam's best shot I believe at getting a title.
                  - - If Ketchel hadn't been taking liberties with the girl hired to cook for him at the ranch he was training at, he wouldn't have been shot and killed by her ranchhand BF.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - If Ketchel hadn't been taking liberties with the girl hired to cook for him at the ranch he was training at, he wouldn't have been shot and killed by her ranchhand BF.
                    She wasnt objecting too strenously by all accounts.
                    Ketchel was on the slide by then ,having had a dose and developing a strong predilection for the opium pipe,a couple of his opponents were given financial incentives not to be too ambitious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
                      imo Langford could have been Light heavy champ anytime from 1911 to 1916.
                      He could have been heavyweight champion from 1909-1915 too. He had a singed contact to fight the champion but the champion shamelessly pulled out! Langford dominated the same competition, men who received title shots before and after this, plus fought the man who knocked the champion him silly in an exhibition match. Hmm...

Comment

Working...
                      X