No announcement yet.

How Great is Sam Langford?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
    Johnson did sign to fight Langford at the National Sporting Club in Covent Garden this was in early1908 when he was just another leading contender and not yet Champion.He was made to wait in the lobby while Peggy Bettinson the club's manager and promoter concluded the deal with Sam Fitzpatrick ,Johnson's then manager,once they had agreed terms Johnson was presented with the contract to sign.Johnson and Fitzpatrick were on the floor financially and in no position to dictate terms,he signed for the *****rdly sum of £3000 his travel and training expenses to come out of that,the NSC was notorious for its parsimony.

Johnson then had to accept £3000 as his purse to fight Burns who demanded and got $30.000.After Johnson beat Burns he decided as champion he wanted $30,000 to defend against Langford ,the NSC told him to go **** himself,and Johnson, rightly or wrongly considered himself free from any obligation to honour his existing contract with them.

Its interesting that Jim Jeffries was offered the job of refereeing the Burns v Johnson fight,but his price of $5000 was too high.

Jeffries made this public statement after Johnson's victory.
    "Tommy Burns has his price $30,000.
    Burns had sold his pride,the pride of the Caucasian race.

The Canadian never will be forgiven for allowing the title of the best physical man in the world to be wrested from its keeper,by a member of the African race.
    I refused time and again to meet Johnson,while I was holding the title,even though I knew I could beat him.
    I would never allow a Negro a chance to fight for the world's championship and I advise all other champions to follow the same course."
    So Jeffries was happy to officiate as the referee ,providing his price was met, [nearly as much as Johnson got for actually fighting,] but condemned Burns for defending against Johnson when his price was met!
    Rather hypocritical I think.

As you have observed this contract breaking was hardly a unique situation.
    Tommy Farr was supposed to have fought Schmeling but when a title shot at Louis was dangled in front of him he jumped at it.
    Ray Robinson was notorious for holding up promoters at the last minute demanding mor e money in his dressing room and refusing to get into the ring unless it was forthcoming,with a housefull of punters ,promoters usually succumbed to his black mail,[no pun intended.]

Braddock reneged on a contract to defend his title against Schmeling who would probably have beaten him and become the first man to regain the heavyweight crown. Instead Braddock's manager negotiated a much more lucrative deal with Mike Jacobs in which Braddock would receive10% of the proceeds of Jacobs heavyweight title fights for the next 10 years.Schmeling was sidelined and Louis got the title shot.Jacobs was over a barrel, Braddock had the title and to get it and consolidate his promotional empire Jacobs had to pay through the nose for the chance.
    Glad you got the Jacobs-Braddock deal correct.

Everyone always clains he got 10% of Louis's purses (not true). People like to make Louis (some, all black fighters) victims even when they were not.

I did read once that Braddock's 10% deal was only for Louis's defenses. But not sure.

A 1908 British Sporting Club had a female manager and promoter?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
      Johnson did sign to fight Langford at the National Sporting Club in Covent Garden this was in early1908 when he was just another leading contender and not yet Champion.He was made to wait in the lobby while Peggy Bettinson the club's manager and promoter concluded the deal with Sam Fitzpatrick ,Johnson's then manager,once they had agreed terms Johnson was presented with the contract to sign.Johnson and Fitzpatrick were on the floor financially and in no position to dictate terms,he signed for the *****rdly sum of £3000 his travel and training expenses to come out of that,the NSC was notorious for its parsimony.

Johnson then had to accept £3000 as his purse to fight Burns who demanded and got $30.000.After Johnson beat Burns he decided as champion he wanted $30,000 to defend against Langford ,the NSC told him to go **** himself,and Johnson, rightly or wrongly considered himself free from any obligation to honour his existing contract with them.

Its interesting that Jim Jeffries was offered the job of refereeing the Burns v Johnson fight,but his price of $5000 was too high.

Jeffries made this public statement after Johnson's victory.
      "Tommy Burns has his price $30,000.
      Burns had sold his pride,the pride of the Caucasian race.

The Canadian never will be forgiven for allowing the title of the best physical man in the world to be wrested from its keeper,by a member of the African race.
      I refused time and again to meet Johnson,while I was holding the title,even though I knew I could beat him.
      I would never allow a Negro a chance to fight for the world's championship and I advise all other champions to follow the same course."
      So Jeffries was happy to officiate as the referee ,providing his price was met, [nearly as much as Johnson got for actually fighting,] but condemned Burns for defending against Johnson when his price was met!
      Rather hypocritical I think.

As you have observed this contract breaking was hardly a unique situation.
      Tommy Farr was supposed to have fought Schmeling but when a title shot at Louis was dangled in front of him he jumped at it.
      Ray Robinson was notorious for holding up promoters at the last minute demanding mor e money in his dressing room and refusing to get into the ring unless it was forthcoming,with a housefull of punters ,promoters usually succumbed to his black mail,[no pun intended.]

Braddock reneged on a contract to defend his title against Schmeling who would probably have beaten him and become the first man to regain the heavyweight crown. Instead Braddock's manager negotiated a much more lucrative deal with Mike Jacobs in which Braddock would receive10% of the proceeds of Jacobs heavyweight title fights for the next 10 years.Schmeling was sidelined and Louis got the title shot.Jacobs was over a barrel, Braddock had the title and to get it and consolidate his promotional empire Jacobs had to pay through the nose for the chance.
      P.S. I think one also has to include the Jewish end of the situation with both Uncle Mike and Joe Gould ( Braddock's manager) not too excited about a German gaining control of the HW title regardless of Schmeling's personal beliefs.

Also an across the board American fear that once Schmeling beats Braddock, that Geobbels would hold the title hostage as a propaganda tool.

Just like the White HW Champion nonsense talk during Johnson's title hold, there was already talk in the States of creating an American HW Champion just in case Schmeling took the title back to the Nazi.
      Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

P.S. I think one also has to include the Jewish end of the situation with both Uncle Mike and Joe Gould ( Braddock's manager) not too excited about a German gaining control of the HW title regardless of Schmeling's personal beliefs.

Also an across the board American fear that once Schmeling beats Braddock, that Geobbels would hold the title hostage as a propaganda tool.

Just like the White HW Champion nonsense talk during Johnson's title hold, there was already talk in the States of creating an American HW Champion just in case Schmeling took the title back to the Nazi.
        Yes, these are of course valid points that you make.

Comment

- - Funny story of after Max disposed of a highly ranked German Contender in Germany during his pretitle showdown with Louis, Schmeling's mgr tiny Joe Jacobs jumped in the ring for celebrations.

When the German crowd were guided by an anthem into a Nazi salute, Joe with his ever present lit cigar unlike Bert Sugar's unlit cigars, promptly aped their salute with the saluting cigar extending beyond hand. Pic was prominent German media the next AM that sent Hitler near over the wall, but somehow, somewhere, someone assuaged him with diplomatic immunity overtures to save Joe from the gallows.

I believe this is Joe on the right mangling the Nazi salute with cigar sticking out between thumb and forefingers-

mhbstr0.jpg?ssl=1.jpg

Comment

Glad you got the Jacobs-Braddock deal correct.

Everyone always clains he got 10% of Louis's purses (not true). People like to make Louis (some, all black fighters) victims even when they were not.

I did read once that Braddock's 10% deal was only for Louis's defenses. But not sure.

A 1908 British Sporting Club had a female manager and promoter?
            No it was a nick name.

Comment

Working...
            X