No announcement yet.

Why we never saw Tyson-Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
    Why not a prime Foreman ? he was 27 then.
    You know what he did many years later when he was really not prime.
    You can say he had an off night , maybe , not that it is true.
    This was George Foreman for you.
    Frazier went down against Bonavena twice also , do you imagine Tyson going down from a punch like Bonavena had ?
    It was more Frazier's chin than Foreman's punching power , not that I underestimate the latter. Foreman is remembered as big especially due to his huge weight , especially during his comeback when he was very fat , and could barely rise from his chair , which is why he did not sit on his stool during breaks in his comeback. Being so fat and weak afoot don't make one a huge puncher. I know he was a big puncher during his prime (first reign) indeed , but Tyson could take punches Frazier could not , and the same can be said about the punches he could give.
    Tyson was significantly heavier than Frazier and the difference was not caused by extra fat. It does matter , that's what weight classes are for.
    It wasn't a prime Foreman. Lyle Foreman was Foreman at the lowest point in his career...that is relatively well known...

And weak on foot? Have you ever seen Foreman training? He used to pull a freaking jeap behind him for roadwork...Haven't you seen footage of him doing that?

Oh yeah, George was real fat too...

http://livinglifeaboveaverage.files....010/01/gf5.jpg

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/im..._Autograph.jpg

Real fat....

And the thing about boxing is, ANYONE can put you down, and ANYONE can knock you right the **** out with one punch, Bonavena was known as a exceptionally tough and deceptively powerful fighter, it is completely believable that Frazier had underestimated him and got caught, big time...Didn't Douglas KTFO Tyson?

Comment

There are many claims about Tyson, so it's hard to really say if there is weight to this particular one. But it wouldn't surprise me that much if there was some truth to it.

One thing though is that, bad style match-up or not, Foreman didn't earn a shot at Tyson, at least not the pre-prison version.

Let's be honest, Foreman didn't even earn his shot at Moorer. He lost to Morrison and then had over a year of inactivity. He was picked because he was a big name opponent who they thought would make Moorer look good.

None of this proves that the story is true or false, of course, but I do think there has been a bit of historical revisionism due to Foreman's popularity and late-career title win. If Moorer had dominated him I think these reports would be less likely to be believed.

Comment

If your style is to come forward there is no reason to fight George Foreman unless the reward is huge. Beating that version of Big George wasnt worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by XionComrade View Post
          It wasn't a prime Foreman. Lyle Foreman was Foreman at the lowest point in his career...that is relatively well known...

And weak on foot? Have you ever seen Foreman training? He used to pull a freaking jeap behind him for roadwork...Haven't you seen footage of him doing that?

Oh yeah, George was real fat too...

http://livinglifeaboveaverage.files....010/01/gf5.jpg

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/im..._Autograph.jpg

Real fat....

And the thing about boxing is, ANYONE can put you down, and ANYONE can knock you right the **** out with one punch, Bonavena was known as a exceptionally tough and deceptively powerful fighter, it is completely believable that Frazier had underestimated him and got caught, big time...Didn't Douglas KTFO Tyson?
          Yeah, I get a kick out of that "Tyson wasn't stopped until he was 38" BS :hahahaha9: Yeah he was 38 when he fought Douglas and 58 when he fought Holyfield :rofl9:

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post

One thing though is that, bad style match-up or not, Foreman didn't earn a shot at Tyson, at least not the pre-prison version.
            And Henry Tillman did?

If I recall correctly, Foreman fought on the undercard when Tyson fought Tillman. I'm sure Foreman would have been more than happy to face Tyson that night... even Foreman 2.0 was more qualified than Henry Tillman.

And believe it or not, some champions throughout history have actually wanted to get back in the ring with a tough fighter immediately after losing the title. Tyson apparently told Don King to get him a bum who couldn't last more than a round if Tyson were in handcuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by AKATheMack View Post
              If your style is to come forward there is no reason to fight George Foreman unless the reward is huge. Beating that version of Big George wasnt worth the risk.
              Excellent point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                Excellent point.
                X2.

Truth to the tale or not (and I suspect there is) put me me firmly in the camp that believes pre Ali George beats Mike but for the life of me can't see any pre Holyfield 2 version of Mike getting beat by Old Georgio.

Comment

tyson wouldve gotten the frazier treatment.

Comment

Tyson would have destroyed a post exile George Forman.
                    Prime George Foreman would have destroyed Mike Tyson.

In the same way:
                    Tyson did destroy a post exile Holmes.
                    Prime Larry Holmes would have destroyed Mike Tyson.

Comment

Working...
                    X