No announcement yet.

Why we never saw Tyson-Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why we never saw Tyson-Foreman

Foreman said he came back to reclaim the title he lost to Muhammad Ali back in October of 1974. After beating Zouski, Foreman fought on a schedule that had him in the ring just about every other month. He would constantly tell anyone with a microphone after each fight that, he came back because he knew he could beat Mike Tyson and wanted to fight him for the title.
    After Tyson's loss to Douglas, King wanted to have Tyson fight in a high profile fight. He figured a spectacular knockout win over a name opponent would get Tyson back on track to being the man in the heavyweight picture again. King thought he found the perfect opponent in Foreman who was all over television after beating Cooney. Foreman never passed up an opportunity to take a shot at Tyson and throw out challenges to him while doing the talk show circuit.
    Goodman stated that Tyson said Foreman was much better than people thought, and was a dangerous fight for any of the top heavyweights. Goodman proceeded to explain how Tyson was calling Foreman a big con man, and explained that the grandpop act was just a front. He said Tyson saw Foreman as trying to set up the boxing world into thinking he was a pushover, knowing that he really wasn't. Tyson said Foreman was a wolf in sheep's clothing. Goodman continued to say that after seeing Tyson's response to King trying to push him into a fight with Foreman, he had no doubt that Tyson had fear of Foreman. He also said that from that point on, he felt that if Foreman and Tyson ever fought, Foreman would knock Tyson out!
    He said that King had found out from Steve Lott that Tyson and Cus D'Amato used to watch the Frazier-Foreman fight over and over." He continued saying that Tyson loved that fight because he was awed by Foreman's power and Frazier's toughness and how he kept getting up after every knockdown. He also said that Lott told King that Cus sat alongside Tyson saying, "It's suicide against Foreman if you're short and fight a swarming attacking style like Marciano or Frazier," never figuring that Foreman could be a possible Tyson opponent down the road.
    http://www.ea$tsideboxing.com/boxing-news/lotierzo1609.php
    change $ to s
    What do people here make of this stuff?

i dont see a time where they realisticaly couldve met.foreman didnt even derserve his shot at moorer let alone a big payday against mike.he got outboxed by tommy morrison

Comment

Originally posted by Agentsmith View Post
      http://www.ea$tsideboxing.com/boxing-news/lotierzo1609.php
      change $ to s
      What do people here make of this stuff?
      all that is true... Foreman called for a shot at Tyson on many occasions but Tyson knew that his style was made for Foreman, Don King offered Tyson $$$$ to fight Foreman in 95 but Tyson turned it down saying to King,"you f****** fight him coz i aint".. i dont think that Tyson was afraid of Foreman i think he was aware of the dangers.. its similar to Larry Holmes calling out Lennox Lewis in 1993 Lewis knew that Holmes style of fighting was all wrong for his style of fighting so he was not interested in the fight in the same way as Tyson v Foreman

Comment

Tyson would have destroyed a post exile George Forman.

Prime George Foreman would have destroyed Mike Tyson.

Comment

Tyson was coming off a shocking KO loss to Douglas in early 1990, so for him to fight Foreman within that year span wouldn't be possible, and Big George didn't even fought someone who would test him enough on his way to a title shot with Holyfield.

Comment

Foreman was all wrong for Tyson and Tyson's people knew it. They would not let Tyson get anywhere Foreman for that reason. Especially after Rooney was gone and Tyson's technique slipped.

Comment

Originally posted by cooper5 View Post
              Foreman was all wrong for Tyson and Tyson's people knew it. They would not let Tyson get anywhere Foreman for that reason. Especially after Rooney was gone and Tyson's technique slipped.
              The interesting thing is that Bill Cayton wanted Mike to go on a world tour which included fighting Bruno in England and Foreman in America. The plans of course were scrapped when Tyson left him for King.

I guess it was a confidence thing, he knew he wasnt training as hard as he supposed to also he knew his style(like Fraziers) was taylor made for Foreman. It would of been a great fight though, shame it didnt happen.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                all that is true... Foreman called for a shot at Tyson on many occasions but Tyson knew that his style was made for Foreman, Don King offered Tyson $$$$ to fight Foreman in 95 but Tyson turned it down saying to King,"you f****** fight him coz i aint".. i dont think that Tyson was afraid of Foreman i think he was aware of the dangers.. its similar to Larry Holmes calling out Lennox Lewis in 1993 Lewis knew that Holmes style of fighting was all wrong for his style of fighting so he was not interested in the fight in the same way as Tyson v Foreman
                Good point
                I think a lot of it had to do with Tyson and his lack of training, he simply wasnt training as hard as he used to when he was with Rooney. I cant see how a Foreman fight could of been much harder than a Ruddock fight, but Foreman did have the mental edge

Comment

The Qawi fight proved that Foreman would have been destroyed by Tyson.
                  Tyson was significantly taller than Qawi and could reach Foreman easier.
                  He also hit much harder than the former 175lber and was younger and quicker.
                  I also think that in the worst case for Tyson against a prime Foreman , he could have done better than Frazier did. Tyson had a better chin and hit harder than Frazier as well.
                  A prime Tyson would have stopped a prime Foreman .
                  Tyson was not stopped early until he was 38 years old.
                  And he faced big punchers.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfrank View Post
                    A prime Tyson would have stopped a prime Foreman .
                    I usually enjoy reading your posts and different views Frank but this ?, it's just silly. Tyson wouldn't of gone the distance with Foreman.

Comment

Working...
                    X