No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Marciano resume comparison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston vs Marciano resume comparison

former-heavyweight-champion-rocky-marciano-left-visits-with-sonny-liston-at-his-aurora-downs-training-camp-west-of-chicago-sept-24-1962-where-liston-is-training-for-the-title-fight-with-current-champ-floyd-patterson-ap-photo-2MX1TM8.jpg

Just curious why everyone tends to pick Liston over Marciano. I wrote this from a desktop so there aren't any artifacts.

If we look at resumes, Liston's biggest claims to fame are knocking out Floyd Patterson (I man he was much heavier and bigger than, and with a style with 0 chance against Liston's style). And of course Liston quitting vs Clay. From a boxing skill perspective, Liston is top tier. Boxing has a lot of intangibles though.

Now I am not gonna be so ignorant to not say that Liston certainly had potential and his outside the ring lifestyle is one of the reasons he didn't go as far as he could.

My question is why is Marciano knocked for beating Walcott 2x, Charles 2x and Moore. When these guys were all better than/equivalent of Patterson at the time Rocky fought them. And Rocky beat them without a size advantage. All were at or around the same weight - and he was giving up height and reach vs all of them. He also did this in a very short span of time with next to no amateur career. He beat them in devastating fashion. Ruined them.

Yes Louis was past his best. Every boxing fan knows this. However, he was on a 9 fight win streak and Marciano is the only guy to have knocked him cold, outside of the ring. Louis was 212 lbs on fight night, Marciano was something like 184 (going by memory). If Louis almost beat him we might have a case, but the fight wasn't close. It was like all of rocks fights, him trying to get close and his opponent trying to stay away.

Ali never spoke of Liston the way he spoke of Marciano. He only used the "shook my kin folk back in Africa" comment with 2 fighters, Shavers and Rocky. In regards to their power. He said this about a man who called him clay to his face repeatedly, talked bad about him openly - and even went on to say he was good friends with Marciano, even though he only knew him for 1 year.

In this article here it states Liston ran from Rocky once he figured out who he was in the flesh.

https://www.espn.com/sports/boxing/n...ory?id=3529752

At Marciano's funeral Liston said something about Marciano being the greatest hw to ever live. Ali said something pretty close to that. Nobody else got this treatment.

when I watch Marciano, I know he is a great fighter. His timing, his leverage, his clever baiting and his relentless crouching style he invented all by himself. He is a nightmare. His only struggle is getting close to you with that 68 reach. Once inside it's his world. He swarms you.

People also go on about Marciano's weight. What other heavyweight was running up to 15 miles in boots with sand weights in them, in hill country. Of course he is light, he trained like a spartan. He was running on christmas day. Are we all so dim to throw hard work out the window? in that photo Marciano is likely around 250 lbs. (I read he was 255 in retirement), 205 in between fights, and 225 before he started boxing. There is only so much time in a day and Marciano used all of it. up at 5 bed by 9:30.
    Last edited by them_apples; 05-05-2024, 09:28 PM.

You look at Listons career and you really only see him knocking out Patterson and quitting against Ali?

Not the fact that he literally cleared out the heavyweight division before that?

Manchen?
    Williams?
    Foley?
    Williams?

Liston had very underrated boxing skills. I actually stumbled on this video about a month ago. It's pretty recent with some upscaled highlights. Remember Liston was likely 40 when he fought Ali.

billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
      You look at Listons career and you really only see him knocking out Patterson and quitting against Ali?

Not the fact that he literally cleared out the heavyweight division before that?

Manchen?
      Williams?
      Foley?
      Williams?

Liston had very underrated boxing skills. I actually stumbled on this video about a month ago. It's pretty recent with some upscaled highlights. Remember Liston was likely 40 when he fought Ali.

I understand he beat those men. These aren't memorable wins though. Folley was a good fighter, I should have put him on the list. Machen and Williams don't need to be mentioned. also by the same stick of judgement, Liston dwarfed Machen. I haven't watched the fight in a while but I recall Liston struggled to get rid of Machen (did he ko him?)

Liston may have been 40 when he fought Ali. We don't know this though. However, Liston may have been 40 but Marciano was also only 185 lbs in his prime. And had almost 0 ammy career. He essentially just turned pro after a few fights. Let's not act like the odds weren't stacked against him.

Liston also was fresh off a destructive win over Patterson when he fought Ali? why is he suddenly nothing when he fights Ali?

So Liston can't stop Machen, a man smaller or at least weaker than Marciano. And he's fresh off 2 back to back first round KO's of Patterson. He fights Ali and loses. I'll admit he did better than people give him credit for, but the idea that he is way past his best doesn't make much sense.
      Last edited by them_apples; 05-05-2024, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

I understand he beat those men. These aren't memorable wins though. Folley was a good fighter, I should have put him on the list. Machen and Williams don't need to be mentioned. also by the same stick of judgement, Liston dwarfed Machen. I haven't watched the fight in a while but I recall Liston struggled to get rid of Machen (did he ko him?)
        Manchen was on his bike the whole fight, he was just there to survive.

Manchen was ranked #2 by Ring and Folley was ranked #3 by Ring when Liston fought them. They should be considered memorable wins.

Roy Harris was ranked #7 and Cleveland Williams were ranked #7 also at the time Liston fought them.

Also, not sure he "Dwarfed" Manchen. He was an inch talller and ten pounds heavier.

EDIT - Hell, the L at the end of Listons career (Leotis Martin) was ranked #4 when Liston fought him. Liston lost, but Martin still had to retire after the fight with a detatched retina. And Sonny was probably mid 40's at that point
        Last edited by _Rexy_; 05-05-2024, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Manchen was on his bike the whole fight, he was just there to survive.

Manchen was ranked #2 by Ring and Folley was ranked #3 by Ring when Liston fought them. They should be considered memorable wins.

Roy Harris was ranked #7 and Cleveland Williams were ranked #7 also at the time Liston fought them.

Also, not sure he "Dwarfed" Manchen. He was an inch talller and ten pounds heavier.

EDIT - Hell, the L at the end of Listons career (Leotis Martin) was ranked #4 when Liston fought him. Liston lost, but Martin still had to retire after the fight with a detatched retina. And Sonny was probably mid 40's at that point
          I edited my post

https://boxrec.com/wiki/index.php/So...._Eddie_Machen

Machen is not a big heavy at all. 196 with a 75 reach is small. 196 is also heavy for machen, who came in even lighter at times. All things considered, just watch the fight.
          Last edited by them_apples; 05-05-2024, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I edited my post
            Saw that now. Thanks for the heads up or would have missed it. I edited mine as well.

From what I read, Listons shoulder separated in the Ali fight, which is why the corner called it off, and he spit his mouthguard out in disgust/protest.

Why doesn't it make sense that he was past his best though? Historical consensus is basically that he was always 5 years older than people thought at that time.

Also, Patterson basically tried to stand with Liston. Awful game plan.
            Last edited by _Rexy_; 05-05-2024, 09:09 PM.
            them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Saw that now. Thanks for the heads up or would have missed it. I edited mine as well.

From what I read, Listons shoulder separated in the Ali fight, which is why the corner called it off, and he spit his mouthguard out in disgust/protest.

Why doesn't it make sense that he was past his best though? Historical consensus is basically that he was always 5 years older than people thought at that time.

Also, Patterson basically tried to stand with Liston. Awful game plan.
              Listons wins over Patterson are his most memorable wins. Immediately after he fights Ali.

Patterson can only fight one way, his style was made to lose vs Liston. When you are light and fast you gotta stick and move.

I know about the shoulder. and the drug issues. My question is why does Marciano get written off when on paper he proved a lot more.
              Last edited by them_apples; 05-05-2024, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Listons wins over Patterson are his most memorable wins. Immediately after he fights Ali.

Patterson can only fight one way, his style was made to lose vs Liston. When you are light and fast you gotta stick and move.

I know about the shoulder. and the drug issues. My question is why does Marciano get written off when on paper he proved a lot more.
                I'm not writing off Rock at all. I just think prime for prime, Sonny wins.

Not sure there were any "drug issues" to be honest. I always felt he was killed with a hot shot. Too many stories of Sonny's pre fight medical exams lasting hours due to his fear of needles. No way was he shooting up

One thing to consider though, is if he's 38-39 by the time of the first Ali fight, He hadn't fought past the first round in 3 years.

Comment

I'm not writing off Rock at all. I just think prime for prime, Sonny wins.

Not sure there were any "drug issues" to be honest. I always felt he was killed with a hot shot. Too many stories of Sonny's pre fight medical exams lasting hours due to his fear of needles. No way was he shooting up

One thing to consider though, is if he's 38-39 by the time of the first Ali fight, He hadn't fought past the first round in 3 years.
                  For me I find most people commenting on Marciano don't understand who he actually was. He was ice cold. dedicated to fighting. He's not just gonna get slugged out or intimidated. It's not all about weight and size. Louis was the same weight as Liston the night they fought. Marciano is the only fighter I have watched where it actually looks like the punches aren't effecting him. It seems as though he barely notices them. Even when he touches down, from these perfectly timed shots, the way he get's up and how he performs afterwards is just something legendary.

Marcianos only real flaw was finding you. And Liston would not be hard to find. For Liston to win he has to overpower Marciano and stop him. I just can't see it.
                  Last edited by them_apples; 05-05-2024, 09:21 PM.
                  _Rexy_ _Rexy_ likes this.

Comment

For me I find most people commenting on Marciano don't understand who he actually was. He was ice cold. dedicated to fighting. He's not just gonna get slugged out or intimidated. It's not all about weight and size. Louis was the same weight as Liston the night they fought. Marciano is the only fighter I have watched where it actually looks like the punches aren't effecting him. It seems as though he barely notices them. Even when he touches down, from these perfectly timed shots, the way he get's up and how he performs afterwards is just something legendary.

Marcianos only real flaw was finding you. And Liston would not be hard to find. For Liston to win he has to overpower Marciano and stop him. I just can't see it.
                    That’s a fair point. And Rocky was fine with eventually finding his range, would throw where he felt you were going to be. I’ve always felt both guys were underrated in their abilities…in fairness I feel that about a lot of the old champs.

I don’t see Rock getting on his bike, I think it would be a great fight. Probably one of those fights that could happen 10 times and both guys win 5 times

Comment

Working...
                    X