This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    BOXING NEWS 24 MENU FAN FORUM TICKETS RESULTS SCHEDULE Corrie Sanders Doesn’t Know Why Wladimir Klitschko Never Sought A Rematch By Boxing News - 06/17/2010 - Comments By Jim Dower: Former WBO heavyweight champion Corrie Sanders (42-4, 31 KO’s) wishes that Wladimir Klitschko had sought to avenge his 2nd round knockout loss to him, and Sanders, now 44, doesn’t understand why Klitschko never tried to avenge his knockout loss to him. In an article at Sportbox.ru, Sanders says “Yes, it would be nice to fight him [Wladimir] again. I do not know why he never wanted a rematch.” Sanders latter on went up against Wladimir’s big brother Vitali Klitschko, who after a shaky start in which he was staggered and almost dropped, came back to batter Sanders to a pulp and stop him in the 8th round in April 2004. Sanders points out that Vitali’s size was too much, saying “But he [Vitali] is so big that it was difficult to beat him.” Sanders thinks that Wladimir is vulnerable still, and doesn’t know if Wladimir would be still standing if he gets hit solid. However, Sanders thinks that Wladimir’s opponents have to be “bold and assertive” for them to beat him. He says that’s how Wladimir can make mistakes. Sanders “In our battle, Wladimir underestimated me, but afterwards he made adjustments.” Sanders, a 6’4” southpaw, with lightning fast hands and huge power, was a very dangerous heavyweight in the 90s and the early 2000s. He never was able to make it past a certain level until late in his career when he shocked Wladimir by stopping him in the 2nd round. At the time, Sanders was 37-years-old, and Wladimir may have been thinking he was an older fighter and thus no longer dangerous. You could see in the way that Wladimir fought him by going out and trying to slug with Sanders, that he didn’t really understand how much of a threat Sanders was until it was far too late. Wladimir ended up getting nailed with a number of big left hands from Sanders and knocked down twice near the end of the 1st round. In the 2nd, Sanders put Klitschko away after knocking him down for a third time. It seemed like Sanders really had Klitschko’s number and even if there had been a rematch, many people believe Sanders would have easily knocked Wladimir out again. But to his credit, Wladimir soon after got a new trainer, Emanuel Steward, and after one more loss to Lamon Brewster, Wladimir has been unbeaten for the past six years, winning his last 12 fights. For his part, Sanders was beaten in his next fight after the Wladimir win, losing to Vitali Klitschko by knockout. Sanders then beat three 2nd tier fighters before getting stopped in the 1st round two years ago by fellow South African Osborne Machimana. At 44, it’s hard to imagine Sanders being able to get into good enough shape to fight Wladimir.

Source: Corrie Sanders Doesn’t Know Why Wladimir Klitschko Never Sought A Rematch - Boxing News 24 (https://www.************.com/2010/06...match/)​
    Well it says here, Sanders wouldn't have been able to get in good enough shape, so by then Wlad had a built in excuse. Before that, sounds like Wlad knew Corrie had his number. With Stewart training him, maybe he jabs, lands a few combos a round and holds to a boring decision win and that's a big maybe. Sanders even says here Wlad's opponents have to be bold and assertive to beat him. Isn't that what his last 2 opponents Fury and Joshua did to beat him?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

Well it says here, Sanders wouldn't have been able to get in good enough shape, so by then Wlad had a built in excuse. Before that, sounds like Wlad knew Corrie had his number. With Stewart training him, maybe he jabs, lands a few combos a round and holds to a boring decision win and that's a big maybe. Sanders even says here Wlad's opponents have to be bold and assertive to beat him. Isn't that what his last 2 opponents Fury and Joshua did to beat him?
      That was in 2010 when Sanders was 44 and out of boxing. He openly wondered why Wlad didn't try to rematch during the time he was still active. I agree with Sanders that Wlad underestimated him. Had they rematched I think Wlad would have adjusted and stopped Sanders mid rounds. But the Klits never seemed to want the fights (or should I say rematches ) where they were out of their comfort zone. I was a huge Wlad fan before his losses and subsequent (boring) styles change. But he was a great champion in spite of my opinion and fought the best of his era. And while I think it's a weak era, you can't fault any champion that goes out and fights the best of their time.
      Anthony342 Anthony342 likes this.

Comment

That was in 2010 when Sanders was 44 and out of boxing. He openly wondered why Wlad didn't try to rematch during the time he was still active. I agree with Sanders that Wlad underestimated him. Had they rematched I think Wlad would have adjusted and stopped Sanders mid rounds. But the Klits never seemed to want the fights (or should I say rematches ) where they were out of their comfort zone. I was a huge Wlad fan before his losses and subsequent (boring) styles change. But he was a great champion in spite of my opinion and fought the best of his era. And while I think it's a weak era, you can't fault any champion that goes out and fights the best of their time.
        Wlad named Sanders as the hardest puncher he faced.

Comment

Smart enough to know Wlad didn't try to rematch Sanders.
          - - Smart enough to know Sanders infinitely smarter than U refused to fight his WBO mandatory, instead signing a contract WBC champ Roy Jones sent him for a fight. Roy ultimately gave up his WBC to return to LH where he whooped Tarver, but of course U in U BarneyBigBoys then and now wouldn't understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Smart enough to know Sanders infinitely smarter than U refused to fight his WBO mandatory, instead signing a contract WBC champ Roy Jones sent him for a fight. Roy ultimately gave up his WBC to return to LH where he whooped Tarver, but of course U in U BarneyBigBoys then and now wouldn't understand that.
            What does any of this have to do with Wlad not trying to get a rematch? Are you faulting Sanders for taking on Vits instead of Brewster? Bigger money, better opponent.

Comment

What does any of this have to do with Wlad not trying to get a rematch? Are you faulting Sanders for taking on Vits instead of Brewster? Bigger money, better opponent.
              - - What part of Wlad was kicked out of the WBO loop does U fruitloop not understand?

Tu es burro, si!!!

Comment

- - What part of Wlad was kicked out of the WBO loop does U fruitloop not understand?

Tu es burro, si!!!
                What part of Wlad never sought a rematch with or without the WBO do you not understand? Now you're saying because Wlad lost his WBO title he was out of they're loop and no longer allowed to fight for their title? Lol, do explain!!

Comment

- - Easiest fight Wlad ever had until he was drugged, your Mickey Finn specialty.
                  Does any poster here put ANY credibility into the opinion of this idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post

Yea I do. But you and me are usually at odds anyway. LOL

With Queenie, you have to learn to read between the lines. When he wants he can be quite lucid but mostly he has learned over the years that speaking logically to some posters is like spitting into a hurricane, it's just a waste of time, so he plays the troll.

Like all of us he has his stubborn points and won't let them go when maybe he should, but mostly he is just being a dick out of frustration.

It keeps posts coming. So just lean back and enjoy the show.

People on this forum place too much concern on proving they're right when the whole purpose is to share opinions and have fun. We are not going to change the world; being right is merely an ego thing. This whole thing just isn't that important.

Queenie can be fun is you don't have a stick up your butt about the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by just the facts View Post

He's a drunken fool.......but fun to kick around!

Comment

Working...
                      X