Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did people think Rocky Marciano would beat Floyd Patterson easily ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did people think Rocky Marciano would beat Floyd Patterson easily ?

Would Rocky would’ve beat Floyd Patterson easily like people thought he would?

Good post this. I think if Rocky would have carried on a young Floyd would have been too fast and too explosive for Rocky. It would have been a huge shock at the time but could defo see it. A past his best, not quite so motivated champion vs a young and super fast challenger. Of course if you throw Patterson in with the Rocky that beat Walcott, I’d favour Rocky but not without some trouble.

Comment

I tend to regard Mr. Patterson, whom I knew and remember fondly, as a chronically underappriciated champion. Immense power for his size, probably the 3rd fastest HWCOTW after Ali and Tunney, youngest to win the title for decades, and the first to regain it, Floyd Patterson was as big a part of 1950's culture as Elvis or the 57' Chevy.

But I think that Marciano had the pressure and the power to get the Knockout puch across, and that Patterson had the punch resistance to seal the deal in Rocky's favor. That said, Marciano would not have an easy time in there, and might have to come through the cuts that Floyd would inflict.
      However, if this were not a prime vs. Prime hypothetical and occurred in late 1956 in the Patterson - Moore time frame, Marciano was experiencing some severe back problems by then (the reason for his retirement), and Floyd's chances would be increased.
      The idea that Patterson would have had no chance at all is largely idolatry.
      Last edited by Willow The Wisp; 03-21-2024, 01:11 PM.
      billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

The problem with Patterson facing even a faded Marciano comes down to a puncher's chance.

With Patterson's chin that becomes a magnified 'chance.'

Patterson's chances of stopping Marciano are slim. The chances of Marciano finding that one big punch over 15 rounds are better.

I would take a shot betting on Marciano, but this is prize fighting and it isn't a sure thing either way.

Speaking against Rocky: ever notice that Rocky didn't start talking about a possible comeback until after he saw Johansson expose Patterson's chin as suspect.

My conjecture: Marciano knew he was at the end and probably saw a young, rapid firing Patterson as too much for him and smartly walked away. Respect to him for that.

That is until he saw that Floyd had a major flaw and that Ingo wasn't very skilled.

My two cents.
        Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 03-21-2024, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I’d pick Marciano by knockout each and every time. I don’t think Patterson can avoid Marciano for 15 rounds.

Patterson is a small Framed heavy, he doesn’t have heavyweight punch resistance. He also doesn’t have a slick defense like Charles / Moore who can ride punches and he doesn’t move around like Joe Walcott. No, he comes forward in the peek a boo much like Tyson.

so when you take in the hardest hitter, and put him in with a weaker jawed fighter that will come to fight, his destiny is written in the stars because Rockys only task is getting close enough to hit you. This fight would be over fast. Patterson might catch Rocky w. Lucky one and shake him up or even drop him at the very best , but the fights gonna end fast as soon as Marciano connects. There is 0 chance Patterson knocks out Marciano and there is a huge chance Marciano will knockout Patterson.
          mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Henry cooper said in his autobiography that Patterson had faster hands than Ali. They were lighting and he could punch too.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
              Iâd pick Marciano by knockout each and every time. I donât think Patterson can avoid Marciano for 15 rounds.

Patterson is a small Framed heavy, he doesnât have heavyweight punch resistance. He also doesnât have a slick defense like Charles / Moore who can ride punches and he doesnât move around like Joe Walcott. No, he comes forward in the peek a boo much like Tyson.

so when you take in the hardest hitter, and put him in with a weaker jawed fighter that will come to fight, his destiny is written in the stars because Rockys only task is getting close enough to hit you. This fight would be over fast. Patterson might catch Rocky w. Lucky one and shake him up or even drop him at the very best , but the fights gonna end fast as soon as Marciano connects. There is 0 chance Patterson knocks out Marciano and there is a huge chance Marciano will knockout Patterson.
              I was going to commit but you took the words right out of my mouth. Patterson can't handle big body shots. Liston almost broke him in half with a right hand to the ribs.
              them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Marciano and Patterson are not built the same. Weighing the same on fight night sure, but this isn’t everything.

rocky_marciano_and_floyd_patterson_colorized_by_william19763_dcadx3g-375w-2x.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCI

Comment

Originally posted by WillieWild114 View Post
                  Would Rocky would’ve beat Floyd Patterson easily like people thought he would?
                  - - Rocky seldom did things easily, but ultimately, if Bingo Ingo can hit the jackpot, Rock can do it better.
                  Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

It almost can't be stated without sounding disrespectful but Patterson's durability(both to the head as well as the body) was about as low as it can get for a HW champion. Yet his offense was pretty extraordinary. You could say he was the ultimate glass cannon.

If you want to beat Marciano with that kind of weakness you better be able to box him without even getting touched yourself, and Patterson obviously wouldn't be able to do that.
                    Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X