Let’s get this straight about the Ali-Marciano comp fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Excellent.

- - Just another news site with sculpted news for low brows littering the world.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - U still picking at the snail fecal matter U ingest is more like it.

Rocky still ranked 7th in the updated IBRO ratings that are vastly superior to a single oldman soon to be 6' under that Nat, bless him, represented.
      Thanks for speculating about my death,yours should never happen because in truth you should never have been born!

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

The quotes certainly make your point but I don't like hearing those Louis quotes.

They make him sound ungracious. Too bad he said those things. I hope they were said shortly after the fight, that's common and understandable, but not later in life.

What happened to replies like "Honey, I forget to duck."
        One man's honest opinion as he saw it. Who is better qualified to give his opinion?
        They were said in his autobiography published in1978.
        Roland Lastarza said something like,"if he keeps taking so many punches he could end up punchy".

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Thanks for speculating about my death,yours should never happen because in truth you should never have been born!
          - - No biggie that I have to explain the English language to Englishmen as I did on ye aulde long defunct Beeb forum, ie:

Rocky still ranked 7th in the updated IBRO ratings that are vastly superior to a single oldman soon to be 6' under that Nat, bless him, represented.

"Single oldman soon to be 6' under" refers to !NAT!, not some smarmy Frenchy wannabee always on the losing side of every battle he undertook...duh...

Yeah, DUH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - No biggie that I have to explain the English language to Englishmen as I did on ye aulde long defunct Beeb forum, ie:

"Single oldman soon to be 6' under" refers to !NAT!, not some smarmy Frenchy wannabee always on the losing side of every battle he undertook...duh...

Yeah, DUH!!!
            I repeat.

You should never have been born!
            Now go and bore some one else.

Comment

I'm sorry Mate this is just ridiculous.
              "and his deliberate clumsiness/slowness is not only a very crafty way to get your opponent to make mistakes -"

" I'm not kidding myself,I'm no fancy dan,I know what I look like in there."

"I couldn't avoid Louis' jabs,I just had to take them".Rocky Marciano.

." He was strong sure,but he fought like a street brawler." Louis on Marciano
              Yeah! I was right,he was a street brawler,he couldn't touch me when it came to boxing"Louis

"Everything was fine until the seventh round.My age gave me away; all of a sudden my legs gave out.They had to lift me off the stool for the eighth round" Joe Louis.
              Or we can just Watch the fight? Wouldn't that be easier? He dominated Louis. Watch how little Louis hits rocky and how hard rocky hits Louis. I don’t remember Louis ever getting punched out of the ring unconscious. Yeah he’s certainly past his best - but was on a 9 fight win streak and is still Joe Louis. Beating Louis sure is expected - but finishing him the way he did, some credit needs to be given. He retired Louis

doesn’t matter if you find it rediculous I can assure you this was a strategy a lot of boxers used to use.
              Last edited by them_apples; 03-28-2024, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Or we can just Watch the fight? Wouldn't that be easier? He dominated Louis. Watch how little Louis hits rocky and how hard rocky hits Louis. I donâÂÂt remember Louis ever getting punched out of the ring unconscious. Yeah heâÂÂs certainly past his best - but was on a 9 fight win streak and is still Joe Louis. Beating Louis sure is expected - but finishing him the way he did, some credit needs to be given. He retired Louis

doesnât matter if you find it rediculous I can assure you this was a strategy a lot of boxers used to use.
                I first watched it in the middle sixties when I bought a compilation of Marciano's fights .
                Dominated?
                Here are the scorecards. 4-2, 5-2, 4-3. Marciano finished with two cut and bruised eyes .

Photos of him the morning after the fight beg the question,if Louis could do that with only one effective hand and punch ,his left jab,what would he have been able to do with both hands ,his flashing combos and his meat axe right cross from years earlier?
                If Marciano after a 17 year career and 68 fights had been inactive for a year and a half because of WW2 , then later retired for nearly 2 and a half years ,then later been called upon, at the age of 37, to fight a heavy hitting ranked contender,[ which he didn't do on his come back,being steered away from punchers,]you might have seen him sprawled on the canvas after his legs gave out and he was reduced to a sitting target,just as Louis was.
                Last edited by Ivich; 03-28-2024, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I first watched it in the middle sixties when I bought a compilation of Marciano's fights .
                  Dominated?
                  Here are the scorecards. 4-2, 5-2, 4-3. Marciano finished with two cut and bruised eyes .

Photos of him the morning after the fight beg the question,if Louis could do that with only one effective hand and punch ,his left jab,what would he have been able to do with both hands ,his flashing combos and his meat axe right cross from years earlier?
                  If Marciano after a 17 year career and 68 fights had been inactive for a year and a half because of WW2 , then later retired for nearly 2 and a half years ,then later been called upon, at the age of 37, to fight a heavy hitting ranked contender,[ which he didn't do on his come back,being steered away from punchers,]you might have seen him sprawled on the canvas after his legs gave out and he was reduced to a sitting target,just as Louis was.
                  I just want add something to your remark about Louis' 2 1/2 years of inactivity.

If you include his exhibition fights in 1944 and 1945 that number is correct.

But if you count actual competitive fights, the kind where you have to get physically ready for, (not use to get you ready with [exhibitions]), and the kind of fight that you have to measure up to mentally as well, Louis actually goes from March 1942 (Simon) to June 1946 (Conn). A whopping 51 months (or four years and three months) between competitive fights. That is an insanely long time not to fight and try to come back from.

Only Jeffries had a longer lay-off and he didn't do so well.

P.S. While Boxrec claims the 1944 Johnny Davis fight as a title bout, anyone who knows prize fighting, knows it wasn't.
                  Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I just want add something to your remark about Louis' 2 1/2 years of inactivity.

If you include his exhibition fights in 1944 and 1945 that number is correct.

But if you count actual competitive fights, the kind where you have to get physically ready for, (not use to get you ready with [exhibitions]), and the kind of fight that you have to measure up to mentally as well, Louis actually goes from March 1942 (Simon) to June 1946 (Conn). A whopping 51 months (or four years and three months) between competitive fights. That is an insanely long time not to fight and try to come back from.

Only Jeffries had a longer lay-off and he didn't do so well.

P.S. While Boxrec claims the 1944 Johnny Davis fight as a title bout, anyone who knows prize fighting, knows it wasn't.
                    Yes thanks for your correction, you are of course right!
                    Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Dominated?

This doesnâÃÂà ‚‚€ÂÂà ‚™t matter though. I have studied this fight and all of Marcianos fights, they are all one sided survival missions that we can watch with our own eyes. If the fights were 20 rounds nobody beats rock.

the scorecards were bull**** if they had the fight close.

you wanna talk about Marcianos cut eye, well talk about Louis being knocked into a coma as well.

walcott wasnt close, charles wasnt close and moore wasnt close. People just don’t actually watch marciano. The only reason Marciano isn’t stopping these guys early is because hes so stocky and short limbed he has to find a way inside. Once hes inside they are helpless vs his style. He has way too much leverage in close and is so strong. The entire fight is Rocky just trying to get close to them. He cares little for anything they throw, and nothing fazes him, he also evades punches extremely well for a guy whos walking forward for 100 percent of his career

not saying Louis doesn't cut Marciano up or even drop him, I am just saying at the end of the day Marciano I believe will get him.

this is a very tough fight though, between 2 of the very best.
                      Last edited by them_apples; 03-29-2024, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X