No announcement yet.

Let’s get this straight about the Ali-Marciano comp fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

As I have already said here and elsewhere many times: I have the utmost respect for Marciano! I mean, here we have a small guy, who became heavyweight champ, largely thanks to heart, durability, incredible stamina and punching power. Surely 4 of the most important ingredients in a great fighter's makeup. Difficult not to admire a man like that.

But somehow this apparently isn't enough for some people. We have to invent silly stuff like: "once inside nobody has a chance against a dude w 67 inch reach (thats got heavyweight power)", "punching down suddenly gets very uncomfortable", "size means nothing". "this guy is almost unbeatable"

And it gets better: "He is selling the slow clumsy look as a deception technique. He does it to bait his opponents into opening up. I didn't make this up. Ray arcel said this" (LOL)

And my personal favourite: "a cunning mastery of punching technique"... seldom have I laughed this hard!
    Thats actually sad that you find it funny rather than insightful. I am curious why it baffles you so much. The deception of his style is not even something he made up, its an age old long lost boxing skill. I could list others who did the same thing.

Its embarrassing that your response was to find it funny rather than to disagree. You should watch the tapes with a close eye and come to a conclusion. Its totally absurd that you canâà€Â ™t understand what I am saying. It⠀™ s almost like you respond without even thinking.

If Marciano, Walcott, Charles and Moore are all the same size, which they are - why does Marcianos obliteration of these great fighters - being the only one to ever do this - not resonate with you Marcianos greatness.

on one end he’s apparently too small to beat a big bag of milk. But he’s miraculously too big for guys like Moore?

when Marciano got inside, he would beat the hell out of everyone even good inside fighters. Its because of his short arms. He has more leverage up close than someone who is smothered with long arms. Why does something SO logical make you laugh??? It almost makes me laugh that you are laughing.
    Last edited by them_apples; 03-26-2024, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Thats actually sad that you find it funny rather than insightful. I am curious why it baffles you so much. The deception of his style is not even something he made up, its an age old long lost boxing skill. I could list others who did the same thing.

Its embarrassing that your response was to find it funny rather than to disagree. You should watch the tapes with a close eye and come to a conclusion. Its totally absurd that you can¢ t understand what I am saying. It¢ s almost like you respond without even thinking.

If Marciano, Walcott, Charles and Moore are all the same size, which they are - why does Marcianos obliteration of these great fighters - being the only one to ever do this - not resonate with you Marcianos greatness.

on one end heâs apparently too small to beat a big bag of milk. But heâs miraculously too big for guys like Moore?

when Marciano got inside, he would beat the hell out of everyone even good inside fighters. Its because of his short arms. He has more leverage up close than someone who is smothered with long arms. Why does something SO logical make you laugh??? It almost makes me laugh that you are laughing.
      Describing Marciano as having a "cunning mastery of punching technique" and claiming his clumsines was an intentional ploy to make his opponents open up... how is that not funny? Have you got no sense of humor?

Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Its embarrassing that your response was to find it funny rather than to disagree. You should watch the tapes with a close eye and come to a conclusion. Its totally absurd that you can¢ t understand what I am saying. It¢ s almost like you respond without even thinking.

on one end heâs apparently too small to beat a big bag of milk. But heâs miraculously too big for guys like Moore?

"The only one to do so?"
        Charles was ko'd by Marshall and Walcott.
        Walcott was ko'd by Simon,and Louis.

Walcott was 38 years old,Charles was a ring worn 33 with nearly a 100 fights on his clock,Moore was 41.Marciano wasn't ,"too big for any of them" he was too young and fresh,he worn them down with incessant pressure.

Could he have done so against younger versions of them, we don't know?

Comment

In my book Marciano probably beats: parentheses mean maybe loses if they were younger.

Sullivan
          Corbett
          Fitz
          Hart
          Burns
          Willard
          Sharkey
          Braddock
          Schmeling
          Carnera
          Baeiour
          (Walcott)
          (Charles)
          Patterson
          Johannsen
          Norton
          Terrell
          Ellis
          Leon Spinks
          Michael Spinks
          Tate
          Weaver
          Dokes
          Coetzee
          Witherspoon
          Pinklon Thomas
          Greg Paige
          Tubbs
          Berbick
          Bonecrusher Smith
          Tony Tucker
          Damiani
          Buster Douglas
          Moorer
          Bentt
          McCall
          Seldon
          Bruno
          Akinwande
          Herbie Hyde
          Byrd
          Vladmir Klitschko
          John Ruiz
          Rahman
          Roy Jones
          Corrie Sanders
          Brewster
          Valuev
          Liakhovich
          Maskaev
          Briggs
          Chagaev
          Ibrigamov
          Peter
          Haye
          Povetkin
          Stiverne
          Charles Martin
          Lucas Browne
          Tony Joshua
          Joey Parker
          Charr
          Andy Ruiz
          Trevor Bryan
          Dubois

them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

BS out of the then 24 champs there had been , Marciano only scraped in at no10 if Fleischer was around now ,with the addition of
            Bowe
            Holyfield
            Lewis
            Tyson
            Fury
            Usyk
            Wlad
            Vitali
            Holmes

Marciano would not be ranked!
            - - U still picking at the snail fecal matter U ingest is more like it.

Rocky still ranked 7th in the updated IBRO ratings that are vastly superior to a single oldman soon to be 6' under that Nat, bless him, represented.

Comment

It appears Apples has a point on baby size.

"An Oklahoma woman gave birth to a 14-pound, 3-ounce baby girl on Dec. 16. Hospital workers say the newborn is already wearing diapers and clothing designed for 9-month-olds. Do giant babies like this one turn into giant adults?

Yes. There’s no way to predict exactly how big this enormous infant will become, but studies have shown a linear correlation between birth weight and adult size (as measured by the body mass index). We also know that the length of a baby is associated with its eventual height and weight. In other words, heavy babies tend to grow up fat and long babies tend to grow up tall."

For more detail:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...nt-adults.html
              them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
                It appears Apples has a point on baby size.

"An Oklahoma woman gave birth to a 14-pound, 3-ounce baby girl on Dec. 16. Hospital workers say the newborn is already wearing diapers and clothing designed for 9-month-olds. Do giant babies like this one turn into giant adults?

Yes. There’s no way to predict exactly how big this enormous infant will become, but studies have shown a linear correlation between birth weight and adult size (as measured by the body mass index). We also know that the length of a baby is associated with its eventual height and weight. In other words, heavy babies tend to grow up fat and long babies tend to grow up tall."

For more detail:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...nt-adults.html
                Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

Describing Marciano as having a "cunning mastery of punching technique" and claiming his clumsines was an intentional ploy to make his opponents open up... how is that not funny? Have you got no sense of humor?

Yeah, and I stand by it. Marciano had a cunning mastery of punching technique.

he has completely shut off his pulling muscles. He does not pull his punches whatsoever. Meaning he follows through with the most conviction imaginable. You can watch it yourself.

and his deliberate clumsiness/slowness is not only a very crafty way to get your opponent to make mistakes - but he’s not even the first guy to do it. Everyone had their own styles but baiting through your movements is one of the oldest lost skills that we don’t see anymore.

once again, it was Ray Arcel that mentioned it. The fighters that make punches miss the most are ones who bait with their movement. James Toney would always appear non chalant and stand right in front of his opponent’s to make them throw and miss.

Marciano does his own version of it.

as Ali said: “he had his own style, you can’t teach it”.

even if you disagree with me thats fine, but if you genuinely find something informative like this funny thats actually sad and embarassing.

Comment

Yeah, and I stand by it. Marciano had a cunning mastery of punching technique.

he has completely shut off his pulling muscles. He does not pull his punches whatsoever. Meaning he follows through with the most conviction imaginable. You can watch it yourself.

and his deliberate clumsiness/slowness is not only a very crafty way to get your opponent to make mistakes - but hes not even the first guy to do it. Everyone had their own styles but baiting through your movements is one of the oldest lost skills that we dont see anymore.

once again, it was Ray Arcel that mentioned it. The fighters that make punches miss the most are ones who bait with their movement. James Toney would always appear non chalant and stand right in front of his opponents to make them throw and miss.

Marciano does his own version of it.

as Ali said: he had his own style, you cant teach it.

even if you disagree with me thats fine, but if you genuinely find something informative like this funny thats actually sad and embarassing.
                    I'm sorry Mate this is just ridiculous.
                    "and his deliberate clumsiness/slowness is not only a very crafty way to get your opponent to make mistakes -"

" I'm not kidding myself,I'm no fancy dan,I know what I look like in there."

"I couldn't avoid Louis' jabs,I just had to take them".Rocky Marciano.

." He was strong sure,but he fought like a street brawler." Louis on Marciano
                    Yeah! I was right,he was a street brawler,he couldn't touch me when it came to boxing"Louis

"Everything was fine until the seventh round.My age gave me away; all of a sudden my legs gave out.They had to lift me off the stool for the eighth round" Joe Louis.
                    Bundana Bundana likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

I'm sorry Mate this is just ridiculous.
                      "and his deliberate clumsiness/slowness is not only a very crafty way to get your opponent to make mistakes -"

" I'm not kidding myself,I'm no fancy dan,I know what I look like in there."

"I couldn't avoid Louis' jabs,I just had to take them".Rocky Marciano.

." He was strong sure,but he fought like a street brawler." Louis on Marciano
                      Yeah! I was right,he was a street brawler,he couldn't touch me when it came to boxing"Louis

"Everything was fine until the seventh round.My age gave me away; all of a sudden my legs gave out.They had to lift me off the stool for the eighth round" Joe Louis.
                      The quotes certainly make your point but I don't like hearing those Louis quotes.

They make him sound ungracious. Too bad he said those things. I hope they were said shortly after the fight, that's common and understandable, but not later in life.

What happened to replies like "Honey, I forget to duck."

Comment

Working...
                      X