No announcement yet.

Holmes v Weaver 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmes v Weaver 1

Watched this yesterday,I'd forgotten what a good fight it was!

Larry Holmes vs Mike Weaver l - Highlights (Heavyweight CLASSIC) - YouTube
    Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Weaver was a better fighter than given credit for, just poorly managed.
    joseph5620 joseph5620 likes this.

Comment

- - Weaver was a nobody then.

But then US Olympian Medalist John Tate beat up Coetzee in South Africa for the WBA title that tubby Lar who failed to make the Olympic team ducked. And then Weaver KOs Tate in his homecoming, so Ring says, hey, the guy tubby Lar beat just KOed the guy tubby Lar ducked, so let's award him the ring belt...priceless...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Weaver was a nobody then.

But then US Olympian Medalist John Tate beat up Coetzee in South Africa for the WBA title that tubby Lar who failed to make the Olympic team ducked. And then Weaver KOs Tate in his homecoming, so Ring says, hey, the guy tubby Lar beat just KOed the guy tubby Lar ducked, so let's award him the ring belt...priceless...
        What was Ring ****zine susposed to do?

There should have been immediate rematch between Weaver and Holmes. But boxing seldom did/does the right thing.

Boxrec identifies all of Holmes title fights as either WBC or IBF (with the M. Frazier fight oddly being 'not identified' as a title fight; it was Holmes' transition period between the WBC and IBF.) There is no notation that makes Holmes either, the lineal, or undisputed champion.

Even for Ali, there is no notation other than the WBC title.

I think Ring's decision was correct, they couldn't force the fight. Correct, but impotent.

Comment

Yaaa, buddy.
          We all know that Larry Holmes wrapped up the Ali era entirely and went on to completely dominate 1978 - 1985, giving every top contender a beating save for some of those who hid behind a phony WBA "title" for a little while. Of those, Weaver may have been the best. Weaver was one of those (like Pipino) who sported a spotty record both early and late in their career but shown brightly in between. The abilities that Hercules Weaver put forth in his shot at Holmes would stand him in good use afterwards in huge wins over LeDoux, Tate, Coetzee, Tillis, Ward, Dokes II*, Williams, Cooper; making him a half decent candidate for 2nd best of the era.
          Holmes had his hands full in that fight because Weaver was quite a fighter; but that shot dead on the battlefield highlight KO was priceless.​

Comment

I watched this fight last Monday. Weaver seriously wobbled Holmes just one round before that classic Holmes uppercut. I think Weaver's style would always give Holmes trouble. Not counting that pointless rematch when they were both old.
            Last edited by joseph5620; 06-25-2023, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X