No announcement yet.

Nice Sporting Humanitarian Speech From Jim Jeffries

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Sporting Humanitarian Speech From Jim Jeffries

Jeffries commenting on the up and coming Johnson v Ketchel fight and his own plans to fight Johnson.
    June 14th 1909 Pittsburgh, before 20,000 people.
    " I see Mr Johnson is talking a lot.I want to meet that black fellow more than I ever wanted to fight any living man.

I have always been afraid of my own strength in a ring for fear I would kill a man,but I will have no such fear when I get into the ring with this fellow. I will then hit a man with all the force that is in me
    I want to see how far I can knock him.

It looks now as if it is up to me to whip this fellow.

Do I hope Young Ketchel beats this Black?

I hope for far more than that .

I hope that when Ketchel meets Johnson ,he kills him.
    I repeat,I hope he kills him."

Things didn't turn out quite the way old Jeff expected.
    joseph5620 joseph5620 likes this.

No mention of eating children, or graphic descriptions of bodily harm, e.g. noses driven into skulls, Etc. Merely a threat of death. "I want to kill him" is too common an American phrase, so he only gets an 7 of 10 possible points on the boorish scale.

I hear Corbett was considerably more obnoxious to JJ.

BTW Where the hell was Jeffries speaking in front of 20K people in 1909? Was it at an earlier fight?

Was it one of those moments where, post fight, the winner addresses the crowd? That was a common event (that Tyson Fury is resurrecting).
    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 06-18-2023, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      No mention of eating children, or graphic descriptions of bodily harm, e.g. noses driven into skulls, Etc. Merely a threat of death. "I want to kill him" is too common an American phrase, so he only gets an 7 of 10 possible points on the boorish scale.

I hear Corbett was considerably more obnoxious to JJ.

BTW Where the hell was Jeffries speaking in front of 20K people in 1909? Was it at an earlier fight?

Was it one of those moments where, post fight, the winner addresses the crowd? That was a common event (that Tyson Fury is resurrecting).
      They covered that in the Jack Johnson documentary "Unforgivable Blackness". Corbett was awful.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 06-18-2023, 09:19 PM.
      mrbig1 mrbig1 Ivich Ivich like this.

Comment

Meanwhile in the 21st century we have fighters who claim they won’t be beaten by “white boys”, or fighters who use racial slurs towards Asians, gay slurs, and threaten to harm other fighters through their gang connections and sending people to their house. We still have fighters claiming they will kill their opponents. Floyd, Mike Tyson, Tank, Teo…such humanitarians—who **** and beat women. Lol.

Things didn’t turn out how Jeffries expected because he was likely hyping a potential fight and speaking figuratively rather than literally. Could be he just hated Johnson as many fighters of all races did.
        Last edited by GhostofDempsey; 06-18-2023, 09:42 PM.
        mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Meanwhile in the 21st century we have fighters who claim they won’t be beaten by “white boys”, or fighters who use racial slurs towards Asians, gay slurs, and threaten to harm other fighters through their gang connections and sending people to their house. We still have fighters claiming they will kill their opponents. Floyd, Mike Tyson, Tank, Teo…such humanitarians—who **** and beat women. Lol.

Things didn’t turn out how Jeffries expected because he was likely hyping a potential fight and speaking figuratively rather than literally. Could be he just hated Johnson as many fighters of all races did.
          This thread is about Jeffries. But since you brought your anti-black agenda in here to high jack it I'll point out the ones you left out. Kovalev: Racist comments, alcoholic, assaults on women. Paul Spadafora too. Josh Taylor. Carlos Monzon. Jake Lamotta. I can go on and on with boxers bad behavior. But they didn't fit the criteria for your agenda here and there was no reason for Tank, Teo, Tyson, or Mayweather to be discussed in this thread.

Jeffries is the topic here and he was a racist and a POS apparently. So was Jim Corbett. So are you.
          Last edited by joseph5620; 06-19-2023, 05:51 AM.
          travestyny travestyny likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post

This thread is about Jeffries. But since you brought your anti black agenda in here to high jack it I'll point out the ones you left out, Kovalev. Racist comments, alcoholic, assaults on women. Paul Spadafora too. Josh Taylor. Carlos Monzon. Jake Lamotta. I can go on and on with boxers bad behavior. But they didn't fit the criteria for your agenda here and there was no reason for Tank, Teo, Tyson, or Mayweather to be discussed in this thread.

Jeffries is the topic here and he was a racist and a POS apparently. So was Jim Corbett. So are you.
            Don't ever disrespect the legends by comparing them to Ghost, now comparing them to Zaroku is another matter.
            joseph5620 joseph5620 likes this.

Comment

I would see it as just talk except he made a point of repeating I hope he kills him,
              Yes he hated Johnson and called him every racial epiphet he could,
              Johnson for his part was pretty restrained when referring to Jeffries.
              "Many fighters of all races hated Johnson?",I'll give you Jeffries and Corbett two racist bigots,and Langford and Johnson disliked each other,got any more?
              We even have posters calling other posters "****** lovers"

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

I would see it as just talk except he made a point of repeating I hope he kills him,
                Yes he hated Johnson and called him every racial epiphet he could,
                Johnson for his part was pretty restrained when referring to Jeffries.
                "Many fighters of all races hated Johnson?",I'll give you Jeffries and Corbett two racist bigots,and Langford and Johnson disliked each other,got any more?
                We even have posters calling other posters "****** lovers"
                Yes, Wills, Cotton, Blackburn, all disliked Johnson.

That is correct, I refer to a particular poster as a ****** lover who defends them at all costs in the lounge. Stay in your lane if you don’t know the full context.

Here we are over a hundred years later and we have fighters like Wilder who said they want to kill someone in the ring. We have fighters who still make racist comments towards opponents and other races in general. We still have their racist fans who defend them. The more things change the more they stay the same.
                Dr. Z Dr. Z likes this.

Comment

Yes, Wills, Cotton, Blackburn, all disliked Johnson.

That is correct, I refer to a particular poster as a ****** lover who defends them at all costs in the lounge. Stay in your lane if you don’t know the full context.

Here we are over a hundred years later and we have fighters like Wilder who said they want to kill someone in the ring. We have fighters who still make racist comments towards opponents and other races in general. We still have their racist fans who defend them. The more things change the more they stay the same.
                  You're one of them. In here defending Jeffries. Unlike Jeffries and the guy in your avatar, Wilder didn't draw the color line.

Comment

The norm of the times, that inexplicable and overt racism. You can still find it today, but for most, its repulsive. It's one thing to support your own community; but quite another to arbitrarily hate. I don't present an indictment of Jeffries, but of all people and cultures who miss out on the value of learning from beyond their own community and extending resepect beyond it.

Comment

Working...
                    X