Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers, hardest puncher of all times?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one is immune to exaggerating.

Comment

An definitional analysis of punch efficacy vs. Foot-Pounds of generated force is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.
      Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        I'd say Foreman, but Shavers is up there. Along with Julian Jackson, Sonny Liston and Mike Tyson.

​​​​​Foreman was slower, worse technique and has shorter reach. No way he hit harder. Foreman believed Shavers hit the hardest

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post

You really don't understand what you're looking at, I see.

What Shavers did there, and what most of us do, is set the bag swinging, and practice movement and popping shots. The point is to simulate a moving opponent and practice moving your feet (and sometimes head; Canelo does that a lot) while throwing punches.

Heavy bag for power is a whole different story.

https://youtu.be/1HYX8d0JTSo?si=Gf5MKLjuEqVgFbBI

Look at how Bud hits at about 1:00. Think about how it's different from what he's doing at the beginning, and think about the purpose of each drill.

I could go into the physics behind the difference between a penetrating punch and a pushing punch, but at this point I'm not convinced you would understand it if you can't even tell the difference between the purposes for heavy bag drills.
          There was a lot of bag work on that video. What did you do, watch one portion? While you try to explain something maybe I should explain physics to you. When you stop the momentum of a bag or reverse it, that equates to power, as long as you do not guide it.

Comment

At heavy I think there’s no doubt. Ali said he hit hardest without hesitation and he was in with Liston, foreman, Frazier, Lyle. Brutal punchers.

pound for pound I’m going Julian Jackson. Never seen knockouts like his. People instantly asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

There was a lot of bag work on that video. What did you do, watch one portion? While you try to explain something maybe I should explain physics to you. When you stop the momentum of a bag or reverse it, that equates to power, as long as you do not guide it.
              Yeah, you missed the point. There's a difference between penetrating punches and pushing. If you don't understand that, there's not really much more to be said to you. This stuff is really really basic. We can talk more when you understand the difference between pushing and punching. Pretty much any decent boxing (or striking) coach will tell you that if the bag starts swinging a bunch when you're doing power work, that's an indication of bad technique. Your poor discussion of Newton's third law doesn't really enter into this.

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post
                At heavy I think there’s no doubt. Ali said he hit hardest without hesitation and he was in with Liston, foreman, Frazier, Lyle. Brutal punchers.

pound for pound I’m going Julian Jackson. Never seen knockouts like his. People instantly asleep.
                - - Big George the one who wrecked Ali permanently. Did the same with Field…

Comment

Originally posted by cfang View Post

Julians power is overrated. He has one or two kos, the rest are tkos

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Big George the one who wrecked Ali permanently. Did the same with Field…
                    Nah that would be Frazier and Shavers. George beat up Alis arms and hips, bruising and swelling - nothing more

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
                      A couple of observations. 1. Ruiz didn't come close to knocking OUT Luis Ortiz. Indeed, a razor thin fight. 2. Julian Jackson didn't have heavyweight power, as he wasn't a heavyweight. 3. Woman are indeed attracted to power. Of course, we all knew that.
                      My stock answer generally makes mention of the usual suspects like Fulton, Dempsey, Godfrey, Baer, Louis, Murray, Marciano, Satterfield, Liston, Williams, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Tyson, etc.

However, someone mentioned that the pick should go to a very modern heavyweight who routinely blows away the bigger heavyweights of the current century; and that distinction belongs to Deontay Wilder exclusively.
                      43-2-1 with 42 knockouts, 8 years at the top of the profession, 10 title fight wins, Olympic medalist, 2nd best of his generation and a draw and 4 knockdowns scored againt the 1st best.
                      Among the most modern-day heavyweights, Wilder stands completely alone as the biggest hitter.

Like all fighters, Wilder receives plenty of undue criticism from fans who wouldn't have what it takes to step into a ring against someone they didn't know who's there to feed their family; but my perception of them all is that they commonly operate with considerably less boxing knowledge than they perceive themselves as having, which is an easy thing to spot.
                      - - TBA WBC propped up Deyonce with Haymon the guru who knew U would fall for the schtick...

Comment

Working...
                      X