Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers, hardest puncher of all times?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

A P4P question then? That opens some avenues. Sandy Saddler, Jimmy Wilde, George KO Chaney, Charles LeDoux, Archie Moore, Bob Fitzsimmons, Florentino Fernandez, Ruben Olivares, Thomas Hearns, Alexis Arguello, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Zarate, Bob Foster, Khaosai Galaxy, Stanley Ketchel and Al Hostak are good candidates for starting that kind of discussion.
    I asked Julian Jackson some years ago at the Hall where all that power comes from. He said to me "I don't know, it just comes".
    Cool answer. What about Aaron Pryor?
    Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Top 3.....

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Snicker...Andy loves em!

Haymon and TUE TBE laid the groundwork for the To Be Announced Opponent career where some poor sap is given short notice to fight the titlest. Pretty much the whole latter half of Deyonce career where he is steadily outboxed by TBA before landing his sucker shot..
        "landing his sucker shot..". Sage words.

Comment

We can all voice opinions from our armchairs, how about listening to those who REALLY KNOW?
          A quote from Larry Holmes who fought both Shavers and Mike Tyson when Tyson was at his destructive best....'Getting hit by Mike Tyson is like getting run over by a sports car, getting hit by Ernie Shavers is like getting hit by a truck'.....'NUFF SAID!

James Tillis also endorsed Larry Holmes view of Earnie Shavers.

Last edited by OLD JUD; 05-28-2023, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
            Could Shavers's fists slam into and move a heavy bag like Foreman's? I still believe Foreman's punches were more powerful but less accurate and easier to see coming. Ernie's punches got to their target much faster and were harder to see coming. I am pretty sure Shavers is among the hardest punchers ever though.
            Not sure if this will help, but...

nathan sturley max baer billeau2 billeau2 like this.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post

Thank you for the rare footage. I don't think in this case Ernie was showing off his power. he appeared to be boxing the bag. It is an irony for sure! Ernie had a bunch of people who felt he was the one... Sylvestor Stallone was alleged to have asked Shavers for "just a taste:" and very reluctantly " a taste" of the Acorn's power was given, which landed Stallone in the hospital.

I know there is footage of Foreman (another possability?) hitting the bag with power. You see the bag move very little here it is!

https://youtu.be/ApQlzehYyfo

Notice how the guy holding is jarred... That is power going into and through the bag. In the first moments of the video also look at where Big George is hitting the bag! the higher one goes the less mass they are dealing with.
              Last edited by billeau2; 05-28-2023, 04:24 PM.
              GelfSara GelfSara likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post

Light on his feet, fast hands.
                GelfSara GelfSara likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by OLD JUD View Post
                  We can all voice opinions from our armchairs, how about listening to those who REALLY KNOW?
                  A quote from Larry Holmes who fought both Shavers and Mike Tyson when Tyson was at his destructive best....'Getting hit by Mike Tyson is like getting run over by a sports car, getting hit by Ernie Shavers is like getting hit by a truck'.....'NUFF SAID!

James Tillis also endorsed Larry Holmes view of Earnie Shavers.

- - Tyson sports model flattened Lar into a crucifix on the canvas for 5 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by User Name HERE View Post

Light on his feet, fast hands.
                    Light on his feet, not in the loafers.
                    User Name HERE User Name HERE likes this.

Comment

wrong Norton vs. Earn Ken took multiple shots in the first, just standing there in the corner.
                      Larry, the 2nd toughest person, fought in the 1st round. Earn catches him with a right; they even say it was the same shot that caught Ali. Earn was hurt but not in danger, then he caught him two times after one was clean, then the next grazed. Larry shocks it off easy. Earn keeps hitting him with weak shots, hoping to land his best punch on his right. The weak shots don't seem to do much damage.

2nd round: not long after it starts, Earn catches him with his cross clearly clean, yes, hard. Larry wasn't in trouble at all,then he gets caught again. Clean wasn't very hurtful. These are only examples; I can name many more from multiple matches.

Comment

Working...
                      X