Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JImJeffries Article Nobody Taught Me The Crouch!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JImJeffries Article Nobody Taught Me The Crouch!

Great extensive article by Jim Jeffries in which he discusses his fights up until the 1st Championship fight with Fitz.In the article he reveals the truth about many stories and myths that sprung up about him including the one that Tommy Ryan taught him the crouch.Jeffries said this was not true that he taught it to himself after being badly hurt by a punch to the liver in a sparring session. Maybe Marcheghiano will read this and stop promoting both his fairy tales and himself?

James J. Jeffries: Inside Those Ropes | The Saturday Evening Post, July-August 1935 (4-Part Series) (scvhistory.com)

Thank you for taking the time to post all that. I am going to roll a fat one and give it a read this after.

Great job, but next time think about leaving off the last sentence, it sours the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      Thank you for taking the time to post all that. I am going to roll a fat one and give it a read this after.

Great job, but next time think about leaving off the last sentence, it sours the effort.
      I will do the same.

Comment

If a poster promotes himself as an expert and in insulting fashion tells you he knows where a fighter learned his stance.[wrong[ and that you are ignorant , he must expect his self aggrandizing to come back to bite him in his pompous ass!
        AND IT HAS BIG TIME!

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
          Great extensive article by Jim Jeffries in which he discusses his fights up until the 1st Championship fight with Fitz.In the article he reveals the truth about many stories and myths that sprung up about him including the one that Tommy Ryan taught him the crouch.Jeffries said this was not true that he taught it to himself after being badly hurt by a punch to the liver in a sparring session. Maybe Marcheghiano will read this and stop promoting both his fairy tales and himself?

James J. Jeffries: Inside Those Ropes | The Saturday Evening Post, July-August 1935 (4-Part Series) (scvhistory.com)
          - - Fantastic article with plenty out of ring shenanigans being pulled on fighters.

Two things stand out aside from Jeff's natural size and strength is I've long suspected him of overtraining and feel like that was common practice for him.

And a single glass of water the only intake after a hard day of training? He'd be comatose if not dead inside a few days.

Any chance the 2nd installment is forthcoming?

/

Comment

Great article - greate article! Again, thanks for posting.

I got two questions.

1. On page seven Jeffries makes the following remark about Corbett's training camp:

"At Corbett's camp Delaney was in a tough spot, because Corbett had two chief trainers - him and Charley White. William A. Brady, Corbett's manager, was there too, and the whole camp was at sixes and sevens. But Delaney knew his stuff."

Does anyone know what that phrase means? I have never heard it before. I wonder if it was current (circa 1935) or if it went back to Jeffries fighting days in the '00 years?

2. What ended up being Max Baer's dog's name? Who won the $1000? LOL

Comment

Great article - greate article! Again, thanks for posting.

I got two questions.

1. On page seven Jeffries makes the following remark about Corbett's training camp:

"At Corbett's camp Delaney was in a tough spot, because Corbett had two chief trainers - him and Charley White. William A. Brady, Corbett's manager, was there too, and the whole camp was at sixes and sevens. But Delaney knew his stuff."

Does anyone know what that phrase means? I have never heard it before. I wonder if it was current (circa 1935) or if it went back to Jeffries fighting days in the '00 years?

2. What ended up being Max Baer's dog's name? Who won the $1000? LOL
              Sixes and sevens here in the UK means disorganised, all over the place.similar to another UK expression" Casey's Court".
              Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Losing 100 pounds and a five-year layoff is too much to overcome. I don't think Jeffries could have beaten Johnson in his prime. still one of our early champions and has to be respected for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbig1 View Post
                  Losing 100 pounds and a five-year layoff is too much to overcome. I don't think Jeffries could have beaten Johnson in his prime. still one of our early champions and has to be respected for that.
                  He didnt actually lose that amount ,and he was down to weight a year before the fight.
                  Certainly he should be respected, he was a giant of pugilism!
                  Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Sixes and sevens here in the UK means disorganised, all over the place.similar to another UK expression" Casey's Court".
                    OK cool thanks for that - it fits right in with what Jeffries was saying.
                    Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X