No announcement yet.

Your Top Ten Light Heavies?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

"I’ll tell you what I mean by real gameness. I fought Wiggins the first time just when I was getting started. For weeks I had been practicing the trick of slipping inside a right hand blow, and hooking my left to the body. It is not an easy thing to do, and I was green. In the first round I tried the punch, and the blow landed in foul territory. Not a word of complaint came from Chuck. Again in the second I tried it. Once more it landed low. This time the referee warned me. “For several rounds I did not use the blow, but in the seventh I decided to try again. My aim and my timing were bad. The referee promptly stepped between us, and promised to disqualify me if it happened again. The blows were entirely unintentional on my part, of course they were low blows, Wiggins took them in silence without ever a thought of winning on a foul.
    “Once again before the fight ended I tried, and once again my judgment was bad. The referee was at the point of giving Wiggins the award when Chuck himself interrupted, ‘Keep em up Gene’, he snapped, ‘ Those punches really are low’.
    “That is a game man, couldn’t beat me at boxing, at least he was too much a fighter to seek a win on a foul.” - Gene Tunney
    Wiggins was considered the best street fighter of his era among his fellow pros.
    The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
      Wiggins was considered the best street fighter of his era among his fellow pros.
      Right!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post

Right!!!!!
        Skull fractures aplenty. Did he care???

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          1. Foster - Undisputed x2 +10 defenses +Lineal
          2. Spinks - Undisputed x2 +3 defenses +HW champion with 3 defenses +LHW Lineal + HW Lineal
          3. Moore - Undisputed +8 defenses +Lineal
          4. Rosenbloom - Undisputed +7 defenses +Lineal
          5. Jones - Undisputed +7 defenses +HW champion 0 defenses
          6. Loughran - Undisputed +5 defenses +Lineal
          7. Lesnevich - Undisputed +4 defenses +Lineal
          8. Lewis - Undisputed +3 defenses +Lineal
          9. Torres - Undisputed +3 defenses +Lineal
          10. Berlenbach - Undisputed +3 defenses +Lineal
          Which Lewis. Do you mean John Henry Lewis?? A forgotten man...completely

Comment

Working...
          X