TBE = arrogance!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBE = arrogance!

Mayweather is showing an arrogance similar to Jack Johnson

He is sneering at the people who are doing the paying.

He makes remarks like: legalized bank robbery; my bank account; FU don't watch; I'm smarter than you; I don't care what people think . . . I m getting richer.

What he is missing is what JJ missed, that people often act hostile towards you based on what 'they think'.

Not saying that the system will go after him the way they did JJ, but if/when he tumbles he going to find very little support out there.
    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 06-10-2021, 09:41 PM.
    GhostofDempsey likes this.

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
    Mayweather is showing an arrogance similar to Jack Johnson

He is sneering at the people who are doing the paying.

He makes remarks like: legalized bank robbery; my bank account; FU don't watch; I'm smarter than you; I don't care what people think . . . I m getting richer.

What he is missing is what JJ missed, that people often act hostile towards you based on what 'they think'.

Not saying that the system will go after him the way they did JJ, but if/when he tumbles he going to find very little support out there.
    The hell with him. Let him reap what he sows.
    GhostofDempsey likes this.

Comment

Floyd has always been an arrogant punk. I think a big part of it is his inferiority complex that he tries to overcompensate for, that insecurity that he wears around his neck and wrists with gaudy bling and a fleet of luxury cars. Always having to prove himself, whether it is among boxing circles or a hotel parking lot making threats towards random strangers. He is absolutely miserable, despite all of his wealth and success. A narcissist who cannot be happy for anyone else and sees anyone else’s success as a direct threat to his fragile ego.

I can’t point to one healthy relationship he had with anyone close to him outside of his crackhead uncle. I’m still convinced he may have played some role in Josie’s death. Maybe a hot shot sold to her that proved to be the lethal dose. She was suing him for $20 million, and in his eyes the reason he went to prison. Never once accepting responsibility or blame for his actions. Now his daughter is the apple that didn’t fall far from the tree. Facing some serious prison time herself. He still surrounds himself with gold-digging whores and yes-men he can pay off. Thinks he can buy his way out of his misery as the shine on his legacy dulls and tarnishes with each passing year.

I can at least excuse Johnson’s arrogance, given the circumstances of being a black champion in the early 1900’s. Not that it excuses some of his more abhorrent behaviors or traits, but most fighters come up the hard way, particularly during the first half of the 20th century. There was no welfare or charity to be found, you literally fought for your next meal.

Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

What would a boxer be without a bit (or a healthy dose) of arrogance? Oh, the horror!

Comment

Alexis Arguello

Comment

Or...the greatest.

Who was also the most arrogant.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
              Or...the greatest.

Who was also the most arrogant.
              I'm not suppose to talk to you . . . you really think Ali arrogant? I think he was a kind and courageous man. I always say, don't listen to what a man says, look at the whole man; embrace your gut feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I'm not suppose to talk to you . . . you really think Ali arrogant? I think he was a kind and courageous man. I always say, don't listen to what a man says, look at the whole man; embrace your gut feeling.
                Of course he was arrogant, as were many if not most high level boxers. If you think he wasn't, then you obviously don' t know the meaning of the word and in such case it was a mistake for you to make this thread.

Ali is credited with teaching people the virtue of arrogance. Think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post

Of course he was arrogant, as were many if not most high level boxers. If you think he wasn't, then you obviously don' t know the meaning of the word and in such case it was a mistake for you to make this thread.

Ali is credited with teaching people the virtue of arrogance. Think about that.
                  Ali's was a performance of arrogance; it is Mayweather's nature. ''an exaggerated sense of self importance presented in an overbearing manner."

Again, try to learn to read pass the quotes and try to view the whole man.

Comment

- -Actually Ali was a tad daft with a maturity challenged Peter Pan persona that NOI sharks took advantage of. Not sure if Ali ever really grew up in his public sphere appearances.

Myself and former contender John Scully may have disagreed on his rank in the historical record, but both recognized the indelible magic of being in the physical presence of his persona. When he pulled out his rubber gorilla for the Thrilla in Manilla to punch up for the public to see what he was gonna do to Joe, it was a kiddie 3 Stooges moment for them to laugh at. He had no perception of the greater hurt of that symbolism in the black community as played out with Joe who had to hire bodyguards to make sure his kids got to school safely.

Comment

Working...
                    X