No announcement yet.

Who Is Boxings WORST Role Model?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    Ok... Sorry for the misunderstanding, & I appreciate that you recognise him as a good fighter, but how do you justify the source of his alleged misdemeanors?
    FAO Billionaire....... I accept that Joe fought the demons throughout his retirement, but there is no way he KO'd a recognised female celebrity, let alone attempted to murder her, & I note that you haven't quoted this as a FACT...

Comment

• Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
      FAO Billionaire....... I accept that Joe fought the demons throughout his retirement, but there is no way he KO'd a recognised female celebrity, let alone attempted to murder her, & I note that you haven't quoted this as a FACT...
      Of cource in your people's biased perceptions about Louis you still can't even imagine him doing it. Yet you Sticky Mickey are quick to lose respect for Ali. The proof is there, it's still up to you lads to disprove it.

Comment

• da tijuana mullet aka margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
          Of cource in your people's biased perceptions about Louis you still can't even imagine him doing it. Yet you Sticky Mickey are quick to lose respect for Ali. The proof is there, it's still up to you lads to disprove it.
          SOME respect Slimey, only some.. From a boxing point of view, Louis didn't avoid anyone & your tedious efforts to discredit him as an attempted murderer are now skating on very thin ice.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

And how many so called role models have had messed up personal live at one time or another? Name me five, I'll name you ten who people look up to and their lives have been screwed up at one point or another. Louis' good deeds far outweight his few indiscretions and mistakes in life. You tryiong to say they don't only shows you to be a bitter hater. In fact, I'll go as far as to say you can't name 20 other fighters, and recite their past, who were as well known and as widely respected as Louis. Almost anybody you can find, I can can find a defect of character that accordiding to you would make them bad role models. Wanna bet?
            the difference is joe louis huggers always want to talk about how great of a person he was......fans of other fighters pretty much talk about their boxing careers....

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            jab already confirmed its from joe louis book go back a few pages....btw im not calling him a murderer im saying this is not someone whose personal life needs to be idolized.....quick to talk about his fake public image but not about things like this....

Comment

• Originally posted by billionaire View Post
              the difference is joe louis huggers always want to talk about how great of a person he was......fans of other fighters pretty much talk about their boxing careers....

jab already confirmed its from joe louis book go back a few pages....btw im not calling him a murderer im saying this is not someone whose personal life needs to be idolized.....quick to talk about his fake public image but not about things like this....
              Oh please! It's not from Louis's book, it's from an edited biography from a pair of baseball buffs out'a Harlem.. It was 1978 & Louis was in hospital suffering from senile demensia.. Oh & Jab confirmed it did he? I can read, & I recall him accepting that people make mistakes & Louis used drugs after retirement, but the proposterous allegations of assult & battery are thus far still open to discussion.. I do believe Jab also wrote, 'Why didn't anyone call the police? Why was she able to scream while KO'd & being throttled? Why were no complaints made? They were just HIS questions...
              Well MINE are: Where are the photo's stating her injuries? Because I'm 100% sure, that had there been any, it would'a been in every rag in town, not to mention the Encyclopedia Britannica.. And if she was a public figure, entertaining soldiers & so on, then how come nobody noticed? When it concerns one of the most famous people in the sporting world, you'd think so, wouldn't you?
              Please don't think that I was referring to you, with ref to 'attempted murderer'.. That was in response to one of Slimes typical unfounded & slanderous accusations.. I've told him a 'Billion' times not to exaggerate! But he's a fool & doesn't understand.. He thinks it's BIG & CLEVER lol.. Now, he'll say, I've gone behind his back, but we're on the Internet for **** sake! Makes me crack up! It exemplifies acute Baffoonary!
              Anyway.. I made a mistake, by suggesting Louis as the PERFECT role model, but when I think of some of em, he wern't so bad.. BOO HOO! a bit of gear in retirement!

Well.... If THAT'S ALL YOU GOT!!!! ????

Comment

• [QUOTE]
                Originally posted by billionaire View Post
                Come on man, Louis' career is constantly talked about. I could probably dig up 500 threads dedicated to talking about his career. The reason it's talked about how great a person he is, is because its very rare a fighter is respected for the person he was outside the ring as much as he was in it. And that says alot considering the caliber of fighter he was.

Joe's few indiscretions and demons are pretty much common knowledge. Point is though, what he did for his race, his country and for boxing far outweigh the mistakes he made. Everybody makes mistakes. How many people give as much back to society as he did though? That is why he's so respected and should be looked up to as a role model. Are there better role models? Im sure. But I know the are far more people that are looked up to that aren't even half the person Louis was.

Comment

• A phrase a always remember is that there is good in the worst of us and bad in the best of us.
                  I think if you look at any people who would be counted as hero's to many you will find they have the same foibles as others. Womanising has been levelled at Martin Luther King Jnr, Gandhi, JFK, FDR etc. Heavy drinking/alcoholism has been levelled at Churchill amongst many others
                  all of the above are inspirational figures to many

Comment

• Just another reason to respect the man. This was copied from another site.

The following excerpt is taken from the book The Fighters.
                    It's told by Johnny Ralph, a prominent South African heavyweight of the war era.

"It was also through Joe Kalick that I met and eventually sparred with Joe Louis, then still heavyweight champion of the world. I was matched to fight an American soldier by the name of Ike Robinson to entertain wounded soldiers in a Naples hospital.

Louis had arrived in the city just before, and Kalick asked him to referee the bout. It was a helluva fight with both of us covered in blood and practising some pretty dirty tricks on each other.
                    Louis just watched us through sleepy eyes and neither of us even got a warning. At the end, Louis lifted my hand, declared me the winner on points, and said a few kind words.
                    That was that, I thought.

But a few days later Kalick came to me and said: "Kid, how would you like to spar with Louis?" Would I just! To me it was a dream come true. It was arranged that an American heavyweight named Van Parks and I would each spar two rounds against Louis in an exhibition for all the troops in the area.

At the stadium I was ushered into a big room where the champion was being received by the big brass. I heard a loud American voice telling the world what boxing was really all about, and for a horrible moment I thought it was Joe Louis shouting.
                    Then I realised it was George Nicholson, his chief sparring partner, surrounded by a lot of people and doing some real boasting.
                    A little further away, relaxing in a corner and studying his fingernails with a bored expression was the great champion himself.
                    I went over and introduced myself.

"Ah, you're the white boy who fought the other night!" Joe said. "Good fight boy, where you from?"
                    I told him and we chatted for a few minutes. I must admit I was being quite overawed in his presence. He was so big and yet so quiet and soft-spoken that I could hardly believe this was really the great Brown Bomber.

Then we left for the dressing room and Van Parks was selected to go the first two rounds. Parks made a fool of himself that night. He was so scared of Louis that he jumped back every time the champion made a move, and once Louis actually held him with one hand, turned him around and whacked him on the backside with the open glove!

Sitting next to the ring waiting my turn, I realised that I had no hope whatsoever of really doing anything against Louis. 'Johnny, tonight you're going to get hammered' I mumbled to myself, but at the same time I was quite determined not to show any fear, as Parks did.
                    I didn't like the way the huge crowd of soldiers had laughed at the poor guy. At last Parks was rescued by the bell and then it was my turn.

Joe came out of his corner jabbing with his left and obviously intent on feeling me out. After all, he had everything to lose and nothing to gain. I soon discovered that I was much faster on my feet than the champion, and by dancing around him I was able to put on a fair show.
                    At the end of the first round I was really feeling good, and the shouts of the crowd were like music, but right at the start of the second round our heads accidently collided and Louis stepped back, lifted his glove to his cheekbone, and wiped it.
                    I could see him glaring at the glove for signs of blood but thank heavens there was no damage.

Then he moved in on me and I realised that he was going to teach me a lesson. He must have thought I butted him deliberately. I'll never forget the intentness of his eyes as he shuffled towards me.
                    The next moment, like lightning, I was hit on the jaw. Don't ask me how many punches. I was told there were four but for all I know it could have been one or ten.
                    Suddenly everything went black and I came to, still on my feet, with Joe's right arm holding me upright.

"You all right boy?" I heard him whisper, and then I realised that this wonderful gentleman had actually held me up to prevent me from falling and being ridiculed in front of my freinds.
                    That action of Joe Louis' I can never forget, even if I live to be a hundred."

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                      Joe came out of his corner jabbing with his left and obviously intent on feeling me out. After all, he had everything to lose and nothing to gain. I soon discovered that I was much faster on my feet than the champion, and by dancing around him I was able to put on a fair show.
                      At the end of the first round I was really feeling good, and the shouts of the crowd were like music, but right at the start of the second round our heads accidently collided and Louis stepped back, lifted his glove to his cheekbone, and wiped it.
                      I could see him glaring at the glove for signs of blood but thank heavens there was no damage.

Then he moved in on me and I realised that he was going to teach me a lesson. He must have thought I butted him deliberately. I'll never forget the intentness of his eyes as he shuffled towards me.
                      The next moment, like lightning, I was hit on the jaw. Don't ask me how many punches. I was told there were four but for all I know it could have been one or ten.
                      Suddenly everything went black and I came to, still on my feet, with Joe's right arm holding me upright.

"You all right boy?" I heard him whisper, and then I realised that this wonderful gentleman had actually held me up to prevent me from falling and being ridiculed in front of my freinds.
                      That action of Joe Louis' I can never forget, even if I live to be a hundred."
                      I read something very similar about Dempsey back in the early '90s in Ring Magazine.

This highly touted amatuer fought an exibition against Dempsey (a four rounder I think) sometime in the early 1920s and went the distance. Later in life people would tell him that they thought he could have taken Dempsey if they had fought with the title on the line. This is what he would tell them.

During the first round the amatuer boxed Demspey and did a fairly decent job. Coming out for the second he was feeling his oats and decided go for it. He nailed Dempsey with his "Sunday" punch and Jack just looked at him. All of a sudden "bang" and everything went black. Instead of feeling himself falling he felt two arms holding him upright and Dempsey's voice came into his ear saying: "Kid, these people came here to see a nice exibition. We don't want to spoil things for them by doing something silly now do we?"

Poet
                      Last edited by StarshipTrooper; 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X