No announcement yet.

A Prime Joe Louis vs Rocky Marcaino

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slimey Limey View Post
    How the hell did Archie come close to knocking Rocky out? Because he had a flash knockdown in which Rocky was clearly off balance? And then found himself to be a punching bag for several rounds before being stopped.

If so Louis was "almost knocked out" a load of times because even bums like Tony Galento have managed to hurt or knock him down.
    Marciano had a deceptively good defense. Jersey Joe thought he was going to be easy to hit and hurt. Louis had excellent defense skills, great balance, jab and power. Lot's of people --maybe not you -- say that Louis couldn't stop Marciano. Louis had the power to hurt anyone, including Marciano. I mentioned Archie because I thought that punch was more than a flash knockdown. It hurt Marciano. Now we both know that hurting a fighter and stopping him are two completely different things, especially fighters such as Marciano.

In their fight Louis won a few rounds, 12 years earlier he would have won more than a few rounds.

Marciano has a better chin, more stamina and he can actually finish fighters off when they're hurt unlike the BUMS that have been able to hurt Louis.
    Marciano was an excellent finisher. If he would have hurt a prime Louis he would have the ability to finish him. But Louis, like Marciano, was resiliant.

I would give Louis the edge because of his skill, speed and Marciano's wide punches. I would give Marciano the edge in his chin, power and willingness to go to hell and back for the win.

Louis was the better BOXER but that doesn't mean he would dominate Marciano, just that if they fought 5 times I think that Louis would win 3. Furthermore I think that Louis would adapt better after the first couple fights; stay away from Marciano's power and win rounds.

Comment

Everybody look at the avatar. Stare at it.
      Regarding the avatar. That was the best f**king one-punch knockout I've ever seen. That sort of power that late in a fight is unbelievable.

Comment

Marciano has a better chin, more stamina and he can actually finish fighters off when they're hurt unlike the BUMS that have been able to hurt Louis.

Everybody look at the avatar. Stare at it.
        Louis had better Agility, was a better puncher and a better defence. These sorts of lists dont determine fights between ATG. I can stare all that picture, all i see is a top 2 ATG heavy way past his prime being beaten by an overated but still great Marciano.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          10 fights i'd fancy Louis to win 7 Marciano to win 3.
          Louis is the better fighter but he did have some *****s that Marciano could exploit for sure.
          The Louis Marciano fight they did have should have no bearing on this discussion it was the Ali v Holmes of their generation.
          Oh really? Louis was on a long winning streak and had only lost to the younger CHarles who would was going to be a bad styles matchup for Louis at any age.

The last thing to go away is power, and Joe was never able to hurt a pre prime Rocky Marciano. Figuring that Louis was considered to be the greatest puncher of all time he wasn't even able to shake him up.

Now you lads are saying a prime Louis would easily KO him??? Laughable and dishonest.

Look at the avatar.

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
          Louis had better Agility, was a better puncher and a better defence. These sorts of lists dont determine fights between ATG. I can stare all that picture, all i see is a top 2 ATG heavy way past his prime being beaten by an overated but still great Marciano.
          Better agility? Louis is known for slowly plotting in one forward direction. Agile my beautiful arse.

Better puncher I don't think so. Marciano did not know what rest meant. He punched a guy non stop unlike Louis who needs his space for that 1 big punch. Marciano would not give him space.

Better defense? Then why did Two Ton beached whale Galento knock him down? Left hand low. Even a fookin amateur knows better than that.

Comment

Oh really? Louis was on a long winning streak and had only lost to the younger CHarles who would was going to be a bad styles matchup for Louis at any age.

The last thing to go away is power, and Joe was never able to hurt a pre prime Rocky Marciano. Figuring that Louis was considered to be the greatest puncher of all time he wasn't even able to shake him up.

Now you lads are saying a prime Louis would easily KO him??? Laughable and dishonest.

Look at the avatar.

Better agility? Louis is known for slowly plotting in one forward direction. Agile my beautiful arse.

Better puncher I don't think so. Marciano did not know what rest meant. He punched a guy non stop unlike Louis who needs his space for that 1 big punch. Marciano would not give him space.

Better defense? Then why did Two Ton beached whale Galento knock him down? Left hand low. Even a fookin amateur knows better than that.
            I'm a big Marciano fan oh really. The punch is the last thing to go the reflexes are one of the first, Louis was finished when he fought Marciano you can't count that fight in all fairness. I know you don't like Louis but have you ever seen him fight? Louis didn't rely on one big punch he relied on combinations. I never said that Louis would easily KO him, like I said in 10 fights I would fancy Marciano to win 3 I would certainly listen to an argument it could be 4 but it seems that you have decided that Louis couldn't ever beat Louis? Can't agree with that and like I say I'm a big Marciano fan.

Comment

Incidently the *****s word that was edited out was chin.ks, not meant to be the offensive slang for chinese! Amazing that was edited when you see some of the words that get through.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                I'm a big Marciano fan oh really. The punch is the last thing to go the reflexes are one of the first, Louis was finished when he fought Marciano you can't count that fight in all fairness. I know you don't like Louis but have you ever seen him fight? Louis didn't rely on one big punch he relied on combinations. I never said that Louis would easily KO him, like I said in 10 fights I would fancy Marciano to win 3 I would certainly listen to an argument it could be 4 but it seems that you have decided that Louis couldn't ever beat Louis? Can't agree with that and like I say I'm a big Marciano fan.
                He was finished because Marciano was the man that finished him. I can count that fight mate. Louis had a long winning streak and only lost to another ATG who was a bad styles matchup for him(Charles may have beaten a prime Louis as well.)

A prime Louis would last a little longer. Maybe he'd win 1 or even 2. Marciano is a terrible styles matchup for him.
                You need an Ali or a Foreman to beat him. Granite chinned, one great mover and jab, the other can slug with anyone in history just like Rocky.

Louis lacks the chin and size to KO Rocky. He also wouldn't last for a UD. Marciano would catch up to him every time.

Comment

lol at that rocky cocksucka.....he retired at 32 with his busted up face he wouldve never made it to a title fight at 37.....truth is no one knows who would win in their prime but i give the edge to louis because he had better technique........

Comment

Originally posted by billionaire View Post
                    lol at that rocky cocksucka.....he retired at 32 with his busted up face he wouldve never made it to a title fight at 37.....truth is no one knows who would win in their prime but i give the edge to louis because he had better technique........
                    He "beeez" retiyad a' 32 "cuz" "hiz" back "beeez" too injuhd. Nahbeezsayin?

Comment

Marciano was probably the least agile of the ATG heavies, i never said Louis was a very agile heavy im just saying he was more agile than Marciano. Just a stat in a list like you did earlier, proving nothing.
                      Louis was by far a better puncher, Marciano may have punched all night long but his punches were not as accurate as Louis' who also had a decent amount of power to back up his accuracy.
                      Yeh a better defence than Marciano, who got bloody and battered in most of his fights and all of his "big" fights. An amateur also knows not to block most of your opponents punches with your face.

Louis lacks the chin and size to KO Rocky. He also wouldn't last for a UD. Marciano would catch up to him every time.
                      Size? he lacked the size to KO Rocky. I remember in other threads you getting very angry at people sayin Rocky was to small (only 185lbs) to knock out other ATG or punch as hard as Tyson, Foreman, Lewis, Liston, Shavers.....

Louis knocked out fighters way bigger than Rocky, e.g. Abe Simon and Primo Carnera. Louis had the power to KO Rocky.

Comment

Working...
                      X