rocky marciano vs bernard hopkins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post

GIve Yourself An Uppercut
    you don't think a prime Walcott wins against rocky? I see him beating his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      you don't think a prime Walcott wins against rocky? I see him beating his ass.
      The only guys I can envision beating Marciano are monster power punchers like Foreman and Tua, guys capable of ridiculously overpowering him.

It wasn't enough just to outbox the guy.

Sonny Liston, the least articulate of men, gave this tribute to The Rock upon the latter's death: "This man was one of the greatest champions ever. He refused to accept defeat. And no one ever beat him."
      Last edited by PLATE; 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATE View Post
        The only guys I can envision beating Marciano are monster power punchers like Foreman and Tua, guys capable of ridiculously overpowering him.

It wasn't enough just to outbox the guy.

Sonny Liston, the least articulate of men, gave this tribute to The Rock upon the latter's death: "This man was one of the greatest champions ever. He refused to accept defeat. And no one ever beat him."
        Liston was being nice, he would keep rocky at the end up his jab all night and knock him out in the 10th.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Liston was being nice, he would keep rocky at the end up his jab all night and knock him out in the 10th.

Nobody kept Rocky at the end of a jab. I think Liston was basically a coward who would fold under Marciano's relentless pressure even quicker than he folded under the technical superiority of Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Lips View Post
            Marciano knocked out the Heavyweight version of Hopkins twice in Walcott. Not sure I can see prime Bernard Hopkins overcoming the near 30 lb weight disadvantage to do any better. I would be surprised if a 180 lb Hopkins faired any better than Matthews; a former LHW defensive minded contender who carried his speed to heavy and slicked his way out of the first round before Marciano stopped him cold with a double left hook.

What's next? Hopkins/Dempsey? Hopkins/Tyson?
            I personally don't think Walcott was on the same level as Hopkins as far as consistency and all time great wise, but he was obviously the bigger man and most likely would have been a better at heavyweight, but we won't find out and will never know since Bernard never fought at heavyweight and only moved to light heavyweight when he was about 42 years old. That's why i can't make an official prediction.

With that being said, i don't think its a big of a mismatch that some people are making it out to be. Hopkins is 6'1 and he fought at 175, which is only about 10-15 pounds away from what Marciano weighed during some of his fights. If Bernard could keep his speed while moving up, things could have been interesting.

Originally posted by Knighte View Post
            Nobody kept Rocky at the end of a jab. I think Liston was basically a coward who would fold under Marciano's relentless pressure even quicker than he folded under the technical superiority of Ali.
            Interesting, because most people feel Liston would have scored a dramatic Frazier/Foreman like blow away of Marciano.

Comment

If "most people" told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?

Comment

IMO hopkins wins and wins easily, he is far more skilled than anyone Marciano ever faced. Prime B-Hop wins this fight 6th round stoppage, unless Marciano lands the bomb he has nothing on B-Hop

Comment

Originally posted by Knighte View Post
                  If "most people" told you to jump off a cliff, would you do it?
                  LOL I'm just trying to help you out, because you need it if you actually think that Marciano would get a bigger Liston to fold under pressure. Ali frustrated him with with jab and foot speed. Marciano would not be coming at Liston, soaking up his punches and keep coming forward? Its just something that i don't see.

I feel that Bonevena (who i feel is one of the most underrated heavyweights of all time) would most likely do better because of his better boxing ability and defense. Rocky gets blown out.
                  Last edited by slicksouthpaw16; 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
                    I personally don't think Walcott was on the same level as Hopkins as far as consistency and all time great wise, but he was obviously the bigger man and most likely would have been a better at heavyweight, but we won't find out and will never know since Bernard never fought at heavyweight and only moved to light heavyweight when he was about 42 years old. That's why i can't make an official prediction.

With that being said, i don't think its a big of a mismatch that some people are making it out to be. Hopkins is 6'1 and he fought at 175, which is only about 10-15 pounds away from what Marciano weighed during some of his fights. If Bernard could keep his speed while moving up, things could have been interesting.
                    In terms of achievements Hopkins would only hold a slight edge over Walcott; and you also have to take into account that he never had to face fighters like Marciano, Charles, and Joe Louis multiple times over short periods of time. Calzaghe and Taylor are excellent fighters but seriously...this is very arguable. There is also much more to Walcott than being the bigger and stronger man, again I would point to his footwork. Hopkins doesn't have anything on the "Walcott Shuffle" which few have come close to even duplicating.

Also the thread starter said "PRIME" Hopkins who was a middleweight. Hopkins is an elite Light Heavy today but I can't see him doing anything that Charles, Walcott, or Moore couldn't even if he packed on a few more pounds and went up to 180 in a hypothetical situation. I think he would get overwhelmed just the same and the fact that he doesn't carry threatening one punch KO power at 170 and up like those men isn't going to do him any favors either; even when the cautious Charles loaded up he could stop fighters cold with his left hook. Anything can happen in boxing but there are some things I certainly wouldn't bet on, regardless how fast or how slick nobody made peak Marciano miss all night and when he hit you bad things happened.

Than again I remember you tried to argue Marciano didn't have a high punch output cause he was so slow when there is plenty of tape evidence of him throwing 70-100 bad intention punches in late rounds against Charles and Moore if you want to count.
                    Last edited by Thunder Lips; 02-10-2009, 11:49 PM.

Comment

"I've got every Marciano fight on DVD and have watched them numerous times, all I have to say is that Rocky is completely underrated by people that can't look beyond his measurements, he was about the same size as Tua only he intentionally weighed less. Marciano could easily have fought at 220 lbs. (that is what he walked around at) but he preferred to fight at 188 because he didn't lose his power at that weight and this gave him a HUGE stamina advantage over every other fighter. The Rock's stamina was so good that I counted close to 100 power punches thrown at Charles in the 15th round of a brutal war."

- "Duke" from KON

Comment

Working...
                      X