Originally posted by PLATE View Post
        Is this a joke? Rocky by death.
        Lol! That cracked me up

Comment

I was thinking about this a while back.

Rocky on a same day weigh in came in at 186

Hopkins these days is coming to fight at around 175

Rocky is 5'10 Hopkins is 6'1

Rocky would look like the stockier dude that's for sure, he'd win by wearing Hopkins down. Small chance of him getting fooled by his own one dimensionalism. Rocky is as one dimensional as they come.
          Last edited by them_apples; 02-04-2009, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Hopkins Is Great but not on the same Page As The Brockton Blockbuster Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post

Hopkins Is Great but not on the same Page As The Brockton Blockbuster Sorry
              in terms of achievements and p4p he is. The block buster is only famous because of his undefeated record, his resume doesn't stack up.

Comment

Marciano knocked out the Heavyweight version of Hopkins twice in Walcott. Not sure I can see prime Bernard Hopkins overcoming the near 30 lb weight disadvantage to do any better. I would be surprised if a 180 lb Hopkins faired any better than Matthews; a former LHW defensive minded contender who carried his speed to heavy and slicked his way out of the first round before Marciano stopped him cold with a double left hook.

What's next? Hopkins/Dempsey? Hopkins/Tyson?
                Last edited by Thunder Lips; 02-05-2009, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder Lips View Post
                  Marciano knocked out the Heavyweight version of Hopkins twice in Walcott. Not sure I can see prime Bernard Hopkins overcoming the near 30 lb weight disadvantage to do any better. I would be surprised if a 180 lb Hopkins faired any better than Matthews; a natural 175 lber LHW contender who carried his speed to heavy and slicked his way out of the first round before Marciano jabbed the **** out of him and stopped him cold with a double left hook.

What's next? Hopkins/Dempsey? Hopkins/Tyson?
                  that's not a very good assessment, for 1 - Walcott doesn't fight like Hopkins at all, 2 he was old as the hills and past it. If I recall Walcott was giving Marciano hell in the first fight untill he got caught. When has Hopkins been caught? Hopkins is a defensive first fighter.

Now that i look at it, Marciano was probably just that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    that's not a very good assessment, for 1 - Walcott doesn't fight like Hopkins at all, 2 he was old as the hills and past it. If I recall Walcott was giving Marciano hell in the first fight untill he got caught. When has Hopkins been caught? Hopkins is a defensive first fighter.

Now that i look at it, Marciano was probably just that bad.
                    I like how you state Hopkins is a defensive first fighter as if to imply Walcott wasn't.

“I just used the moves of Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles and [Archie] the Mongoose Moore, to keep him spinning and rolling my shoulders and get out of there,” explained Hopkins.

"I could fight another four years if I wanted," Hopkins said Saturday night after retaining the Ring magazine light heavyweight title with a unanimous decision vs. Winky Wright. "I'm cut from the cloth of the old Jersey Joe Walcott, Ezzard Charles, Henry Armstrong tradition. Those are people I look up to."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2gB09VEEZvM&feature=related

Walcott/Louis I

http://youtube.com/watch?v=phATN3XWbwA

Hopkins/Tarver

Sorry but if you can't see the almost identical movements and stylistic approaches of both men than you have no business analyzing boxing my friend. For the record Walcott is considerablly better on his feet but Hopkins certainly did well in imitating almost everything else. Also the terms "over the hill and past it" mean little to either man as both peaked and stayed at the elite level way beyond their 30s. There are also many more variables to consider than the primitive conculsion of "Walcott got caught, Hopkins never did."
                    Last edited by Thunder Lips; 02-05-2009, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X