No announcement yet.

Worst mangerial decisions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst mangerial decisions

What in your opinion are some of the worst managerial decions to ever be made in boxing?

Don King and Tyson letting Kevin Rooney go comes to mind.

Some might say Joe Louis and his management giving up 10% of all his future purses for a shot at Jimmy Braddock.

My all time worst managerial decision goes to the managment of Pete Radamacher, though. Its not so bad that they got a shot at the heavyweight championship in Radamachers first fight as a pro. Pete had just won olympic gold and they probably cashed in. What I find really boneheaded is them throwing him in with Zora Folley in his very next fight. Folley was 40-2-2 and a top contender. After the loss to Patterson, Radamacher should have been spoon fed some tomato cans to build his confidence back. Instead he was fed to the wolves. I won't speculate how his career may or may not have turned out had his management gone a different route, but my gut tells me it could have been better.

Opinion, thoughts?

Nacho told JMM to **** on the Pac rematch and fight John for 30 Gs.

Comment

Some might say Joe Louis and his management giving up 10% of all his future purses for a shot at Jimmy Braddock.
      You mean Braddock and his management got paid 10% of Joe Louis' purses from every fight in his career,after their title fight????

My all time worst managerial decision goes to the managment of Pete Rademacher....
      That is appalling management.How good could Rademacher have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Arka View Post
        You mean Braddock and his management got paid 10% of Joe Louis' purses from every fight in his career,after their title fight????
        Exactly. Braddocks team probably knew this fight was going to be an execution and brokered the best deal if he was going to lose his title. Louis' team on the other hand probablynever fore saw his future financial problems and wanted to get its shot at the title before Schmeling, and the title possibly going to **** Germany. It was a move that will ultimately keep Joe Louis in the record books forever with his 25 defenses, but cost him a lot of money he could have used later on in life.
        That is appalling management.How good could Rademacher have been?
        I will have to leave that question to bigger and better boxing minds than my own. But I have no doubt he would have been a more confident and properly trained professional had he been brought along in a better way. It doesn't take a genius, either now or then, to realize the capabilities of an amatuer compared to a seasoned pro. Folley already had wins over Wayne Bethea, Nino Valdes and a draw with Ediie Machen and hadn't lost in 3 years. That alone should have been a dead give away, but they were probably banking on the fact that Pete and zorra split a pair of fights in the amatuers years before. Just a very ****** decision in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
          Nacho told JMM to **** on the Pac rematch and fight John for 30 Gs.
          Great trainer, but not exactly a wizard of management. How do you turn down 750k, yet settle foe 30k AND go to the other guys back yard. Good call Mangler!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
            I will have to leave that question to bigger and better boxing minds than my own. But I have no doubt he would have been a more confident and properly trained professional had he been brought along in a better way. It doesn't take a genius, either now or then, to realize the capabilities of an amatuer compared to a seasoned pro. Folley already had wins over Wayne Bethea, Nino Valdes and a draw with Ediie Machen and hadn't lost in 3 years. That alone should have been a dead give away, but they were probably banking on the fact that Pete and zorra split a pair of fights in the amatuers years before. Just a very ****** decision in my opinion.
            Here's an interview with Rademacher if anyone is interested.

www. b o x i n g i n s i d e r .com/headlines/where-are-they-now-pete-rademacher/

*************.com: Do you wish now you would have had a few fights before the title shot?
            Pete Rademacher: I think that had I been ten rounds once or twice in my life that I could have beat Patterson. Mechanically I was solid; I just didn’t have the stamina and endurance.

*************.com: Zora Folley KO’D you as well in your second fight. Were there any doubts at that
            time about continuing to fight?
            Pete Rademacher: I beat Zora in Seattle in I think 1950 and earlier in Boston in the Nationals. I just took a terrible whipping in that fight. I was quite discouraged. I went home, talked to my wife and decided I wanted to continue. I fought all over the world.
            He did beat a young George Chuvalo by a decision.
            Last edited by TheGreatA; 10-07-2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
              Here's an interview with Rademacher if anyone is interested.

www. b o x i n g i n s i d e r .com/headlines/where-are-they-now-pete-rademacher/
              Manchine, could you post another link, this one isn't working. As far as his quote.....He was overmatched. Simple as that. He wasn't knocked down 6 times in 6 rounds because of stamina imo.

If he hadn't of fought Patterson and Folley to start his career, how do you think he would have turned out as a pro? Do you think he could have made some serious waves, or was he just an olympic flash in the pan?

Comment

Vargas rushing into Tito fight after schiooling Ike. I think he would have been alot better if he took another 2 years building himself up.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Manchine, could you post another link, this one isn't working. As far as his quote.....He was overmatched. Simple as that. He wasn't knocked down 6 times in 6 rounds because of stamina imo.

If he hadn't of fought Patterson and Folley to start his career, how do you think he would have turned out as a pro? Do you think he could have made some serious waves, or was he just an olympic flash in the pan?
                  You have to delete the spaces. Unfourtunately the correct link can't be posted without spaces, because it gets censored.

Originally posted by Alexis Vastine View Post
                  Vargas rushing into Tito fight after schiooling Ike. I think he would have been alot better if he took another 2 years building himself up.
                  Vargas didn't school Ike Quartey.

Comment

He outboxed him and made him cry at the end. Put uit this way, it wasn't a robbery like goldengirls who didn't want to fight the undefeated Vargas.

if he bidded his time and gained more experience thorugh mandatories for a couple more years, a young gun of his age would have surely only get better. Tito gave him a lowblow coz he was in trouble and almost ready for a KTFO! that was a good performance for a kid who had less fights than tito had title fights. Dumb management!
                    Last edited by Alexis Vastine; 10-10-2008, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X