Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tragic Boxing Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert Quiroga and Kid Akeem Afinwashe fought an epic fight at 115 in the early 90's. Quiroga decisioned Akeem in 1991 Ring ****zines fight of the year, but Afinwashe slippede into a coma from a bleed on the brain. He came out of it, but would die 3 years later. Quiroga defended his title two more times before losing it, and then his next fight before retiring. Quiroga was stabbed to death in 2004. He hadn't even turned 35 yet.

This is one of my favorite fights to watch. But its hard to believe that both warriors from this fight are dead by 26 and 34 years old respectvely. THAT is tragic.

Comment

Diego Corrales is the Worst one i know.

Comment

Tragic stories

Originally posted by FutureGoldenBoy View Post
        Diego Corrales is the Worst one i know.
        In a 2007 issue of "USA Today" there was a detailed story titled:

"Corrales remembered after fatal motorcycle crash".

Or, how many remember the case of Oscar Bonavena.
        Some may remember his fights with Zora Folley, Jimmy Ellis, Joe Frazier
        Muhammed Ali and Floyd Patterson.
        Last edited by zelley; 09-28-2008, 04:58 AM. Reason: Bonavena

Comment

Carlos Monzon got sent to jail after he retired, he died in a car crash.

Billy Collins Jr.

Jerry and Mike Quarry.
          Last edited by Silencers; 09-27-2008, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by black.ink View Post
            Apart from the many listed, a major one comes to mind in the death of Stanley Ketchel. Could have been the greatest Middleweight of all-time if not for a jealous farmhand who ended his life at the aid of a shotgun. A truly exceptional talent.
            Due to his rough lifestyle of heavy drinking (and rumoured drug use), Ketchel was physically in a bad way and all but done in the fight game at the time of his death, Ink, so I don't think he would done much more, if anything, to enhance his legacy at middleweight.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ53 View Post
              salvador sanchez is without doubt one of those that will always bring debate on just how good he could have been!
              with him dying so young but yet already achieving so many great things in the ring, against some future hall of fame fighters.
              his death was truly a tragic to boxing fans worldwide as we will never know if he was a fighter who just peaked at a young age or was destined to be one (if not the) greatest fighters to ever grace a ring.

johnny owen's story is one that while tragic gives him a place in history and the memory of many boxing fans,
              maybe even more so than if he had beaten lupe pintor and won the title and lived a long and happy life.
              the story of the fighting matchstick from the welsh valleys!
              a man who was so dedicated to his sport that he had never even had a girlfriend is the stuff of legend.
              a 5 ft eight bantamweight who un-beknowing to everybody had a skull as thin as paper but still managed to make it to the peak of his profession, fighting a world champion away from home and giving a good fight until the 12th and final round is almost awe-inspiring.
              the fact that johnny was strecthered out of the building while pintor's fan's urinated in beer cups and threw it over his lifeless body even made pintor himself cry.
              it took johnny almost 2 months to die in hospital after the fight which i would like to think was down to his superhuman fighting spirit,
              he is a man that will always live on in my thoughts as a testamant to what sheer dedication and will can do for a man.
              johnny is rightfully rememered by a bronze statue in his home town of merthyr tydfil in a ceremony that lupe pintor himself attended the opening of, which i think is a befitting long term memory for a man who will always have a place in my heart.
              Jonny was a true legend of the sport, great fighter

Comment

That's true Yogi. I think Ketchel himself said something on the lines of ''with my lifestyle, i don't think i will live to see me at 30.''

Sad.

Comment

Tragic stories

GARLAND (ripper) RANDALL - was a welterweight warrior facing the likes
                  of Luis Rodrigues, Curtis Cokes and Manuel Gonzalez.
                  On his second tour of duty, Randall was killed in Vietnam in 1967.

Comment

Oscar Bonavena, 33, was found shot to death at the famed Mustang Ranch bordello on May 22, 1976, in Virginia City, just outside of Reno, Nevada. A ranch security guard, Willard R. Brymer, 31, was arrested and charged with Bonavena's murder. Bonavena was shot once in the chest by a bullet from a high-powered hunting rifle. He was believed to have died instantly. Brymer served less then 10 years for Bonavena's death,
                    wiki says Brymer served 15 months in prison for killing Bonavena after pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

Comment

Billy Collins Jr.

Jerry and Mike Quarry.[/QUOTE]

Those are two that stand out in my mind. Salvador Sanchez, Emile Griffith and the Benny Paret fight are two that also stand out in my mind.

Comment

Working...
                      X