This video is a classic:

http://www.johnnyowen.com/Johnny_Owen_video.html

there is a docu on youtube too:

Comment

Rest In Peace

Diego " Chico " Corales

one of my fave

Comment

There is of course the other Davey Moore. A great LMW back in the late eighties who beat another tragic story in Wilfred Benitez. He was a great amateur who had big things expected of him in the pro's. He won his first title very young and with only about 15 fights or something. His first loss was a vicious beating from Duran when Moore just didn't have the necessary skills to cope with Duran's experience and ring savvy.

Sadly, he died in a car accident not long after that fight. His big fights were against some great fighters like Benitez or Kalule. He first won the title from undefeated Japanese fighter Mihara. SAdly, he took such a bad beating from Duran that he never again looked as good, much like Lacy, and lost a few fights after to other great fighters like Jackson etc. Another tragic story.

One of the sadder stories I can think of is also Tony Ayala Jr. He was considered one of the greatest prospects that boxing ever had. An amazing talent who was championship worthy when he was about fourteen supposedly. There are many famous stories of his sparring match with Pipino Cuevas that took place when Cuevas was champion in which the fourteen year old Ayala Jr was beating him at a time when no one was willing to spar with Cuevas.

His was a life doomed from the start though I think. Not only did it sound like a hard way to grow up, forced into boxing etc, but his anger finally got him into too much trouble and he landed in prison before he could get a title shot and would stay in prison for the majority of his prime boxing years which was a very good thing for the women he would have met but a bad thing for boxing. I believe he made a comeback when he got out but was too old and didn't have any of the freakish skills he had showed in his prime such as his incredible shoulder roll defense and counters or his powerful combination punching. Either way he got beaten a few times before giving it up. I think he may even be in jail once again.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
          Carlos Monzon got sent to jail after he retired, he died in a car crash.

Billy Collins Jr.

Jerry and Mike Quarry.
          carlos monzon was also a wife beating *******

Comment

When I was a kid, about 12 years old..big boxing fan, my friends and I came upon
            Thomas "Hurricane" Jackson (fought Patterson twice I believe for the Heavyweight title)
            shinning shoes under the Jamaica Avenue El in Queens NY. His pitch was something like
            "Hurricane Jackson's gonna shine 'em up"; or words to that effect.
            We couldn't belive we were meeting Hurricane Jackson who fought Patterson just a few years before. We asked for an autograph, but apparently he was suffering from "being punched too long and too hard"..he just wanted to shine our shoes. I think we just gave him some money and walked away. We were 12 or so and the whole thing just threw us a bit.

Still a great fan today..but that sad incident always stayed with me,

Comment

Probably one of the saddest things you'll ever see.

Comment

send money to the G-Man fund. you can find the bank details by google and then transfer it with your online banking. I can't watch that video until I retire. This is why Senator John Mccain was right about boxers making their own union and trying to get pensions.

If not pensions then at least comprehensive health insurance in countries like USA and Mexcio where they don't have healthcare like we do in Europe. At least Michael Watson wasn't rejected by the state as a vegetable and has access to healthcare. this also highlights why everyone has a basic right to comprehensive healthcare that covers chronic conditions.
                Last edited by RJJp4pbaby; 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Tragic Boxing Stories

Edwin Rosario-Dead in his mid-30's due to overdose
                  James Shuler-a week after getting ko'd in the first round by Thomas Hearns, died in a tragic accident.
                  Ike Ibeabuchi-could have been an all-time great if he hadn't ****d that woman.
                  James Scott-died in prison. Defeated many good light heavys while in prison

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                    Edwin Rosario-Dead in his mid-30's due to overdose
                    James Shuler-a week after getting ko'd in the first round by Thomas Hearns, died in a tragic accident.
                    Ike Ibeabuchi-could have been an all-time great if he hadn't ****d that woman.
                    James Scott-died in prison. Defeated many good light heavys while in prison
                    James Scott is still alive today. He was released from prison 4 or 5 years ago.

Comment

Death in the ring is certanly tragic, I wish that it was not part of the game but it is. Nobody thinks stepping into the ring that this will be their last miments of existance. But there are far more stories of a different tragic sort, that of dispair, poverty and mass confusion. Little is ever reported or heard of about what happens to many of our fighters after their careers are over. Night after night and time after time these men stepped up and went to war. Partly for the fire that burned with in them, partly for the money and partly for the pleasure of the crowds. We watched as the exited the ring batered and bruised with blood still tricling down their brows from the warring. None of us seem to hear about their lives after the spot lights have faded to the next up and comer. Few of us hear of the coping with life after ring. Coping with life after and pofessional athletes career is tough enough but our fighters deal with so much more pain and struggle, almost comparable to the pain and struggle they dealt with in the ring. For some the struggle with life after the ring is the hardest and longest fight that many retired fighters will ever see.

Ive read about it, seen it first hand and wondered why these fighters are not taken care of. Most or many come from a low level or poverty stricken enviornment. Many have little schooling behind them. Alot choose the ring as their only vocation and therefore have few skills that they are able to apply in the real world once their careers are over. Boxing is a life long dedication, certain things are set aside to strive for the glory and prizes. Thats the way it is with alot of athletes. However, unlike most professional sports boxers have no pension program in place for them. No 401k plans, no insurance and basically nothing pre-planned for the future after the ring. For most fighters the little that they are able to generate for income is not enough for them to even survive on, therefore, without sponsership they are forced to hold full or part time jobs besides their training and roadwork. I did this and let me tell you that it is not an easy task by any means. Even the fighters that were able to generate large purses ;ater find themselves with little after their ring careers have ended. Ruthless management and promoters. People they have trusted to handle their expenses and money transactions mishandling and basically stealing from them, And with some excessive squandering of their riches. Bottom line, most end up broke. But that is not the most tragic part of it. The tragedy to me is that they have spent years battling for the people, the promoter aswell as themselves and after its all said and done many are left as damaged goods. Their minds no longer sharp, their memories no longer excepting new visions, their speech slurred. Most sports have pensions or programs for their athletes after their careers have finished, but not boxing.

I was interacting with Tom "Boom Boom" Johnson for awhile. We had begun talking about writing his story for the world to view. Tom is one of the kinder and most gentle people that you will meet. He invited me into his house as we looked through his scrap book and watched some videos of his championship fights. After, we began talking about his career and it was filled with misdealings and dishonest actions. Not by Tom but by alot of the people that were supposed to be taking care of him. He wanted to call the book "Adversity on top of Adversity". Let me tell you, just by scrapping the top of the mountain with his stories it was easily seen. When I first entered his house he led me into the kitchen. His speech was slow and at times mumbled and his walk seemed to lack balance at times. This man was a world class athelete who now is damaged, living with his brother in his brothers house with little or no money in the bank. The reason Tom says was abit of sqaundering with his entourage but most Tom said it was due to the unscrupulous dealing of those in the game.

The one story that stood out for me were his dealings with Don King. Tom has alot of anger for this man yet I never heard the word hate come from his mouth. He spoke of how he had to sign with King or he would not get the title shot that he rightfully deserved and how if he did win the title he would have to continue fighting for King. He was livid when, with nothing in the bank and living in his brothers house, he told me of how King still owes him $250,000. He said that for his time with King he was made to train at Kings training camps for months at a time. Tom was unaware that he was being charged by King something like $5000 per day at the camp. Put a few months work in and your well over $300,000. The numbers may be off in my memorie but not by much.

There are so many stories of the struggle after for these fighters. Dealing with life after the ring with no training for "the real world" behind them, trying to cope with what is left of their mental capacities after so many have been manipulated and taken advantage of. Death is not the only tragedy in this sport...........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                      X