No announcement yet.

Tragic Boxing Stories

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    Death in the ring is certanly tragic, I wish that it was not part of the game but it is. Nobody thinks stepping into the ring that this will be their last miments of existance. But there are far more stories of a different tragic sort, that of dispair, poverty and mass confusion. Little is ever reported or heard of about what happens to many of our fighters after their careers are over. Night after night and time after time these men stepped up and went to war. Partly for the fire that burned with in them, partly for the money and partly for the pleasure of the crowds. We watched as the exited the ring batered and bruised with blood still tricling down their brows from the warring. None of us seem to hear about their lives after the spot lights have faded to the next up and comer. Few of us hear of the coping with life after ring. Coping with life after and pofessional athletes career is tough enough but our fighters deal with so much more pain and struggle, almost comparable to the pain and struggle they dealt with in the ring. For some the struggle with life after the ring is the hardest and longest fight that many retired fighters will ever see.

Ive read about it, seen it first hand and wondered why these fighters are not taken care of. Most or many come from a low level or poverty stricken enviornment. Many have little schooling behind them. Alot choose the ring as their only vocation and therefore have few skills that they are able to apply in the real world once their careers are over. Boxing is a life long dedication, certain things are set aside to strive for the glory and prizes. Thats the way it is with alot of athletes. However, unlike most professional sports boxers have no pension program in place for them. No 401k plans, no insurance and basically nothing pre-planned for the future after the ring. For most fighters the little that they are able to generate for income is not enough for them to even survive on, therefore, without sponsership they are forced to hold full or part time jobs besides their training and roadwork. I did this and let me tell you that it is not an easy task by any means. Even the fighters that were able to generate large purses ;ater find themselves with little after their ring careers have ended. Ruthless management and promoters. People they have trusted to handle their expenses and money transactions mishandling and basically stealing from them, And with some excessive squandering of their riches. Bottom line, most end up broke. But that is not the most tragic part of it. The tragedy to me is that they have spent years battling for the people, the promoter aswell as themselves and after its all said and done many are left as damaged goods. Their minds no longer sharp, their memories no longer excepting new visions, their speech slurred. Most sports have pensions or programs for their athletes after their careers have finished, but not boxing.

I was interacting with Tom "Boom Boom" Johnson for awhile. We had begun talking about writing his story for the world to view. Tom is one of the kinder and most gentle people that you will meet. He invited me into his house as we looked through his scrap book and watched some videos of his championship fights. After, we began talking about his career and it was filled with misdealings and dishonest actions. Not by Tom but by alot of the people that were supposed to be taking care of him. He wanted to call the book "Adversity on top of Adversity". Let me tell you, just by scrapping the top of the mountain with his stories it was easily seen. When I first entered his house he led me into the kitchen. His speech was slow and at times mumbled and his walk seemed to lack balance at times. This man was a world class athelete who now is damaged, living with his brother in his brothers house with little or no money in the bank. The reason Tom says was abit of sqaundering with his entourage but most Tom said it was due to the unscrupulous dealing of those in the game.

The one story that stood out for me were his dealings with Don King. Tom has alot of anger for this man yet I never heard the word hate come from his mouth. He spoke of how he had to sign with King or he would not get the title shot that he rightfully deserved and how if he did win the title he would have to continue fighting for King. He was livid when, with nothing in the bank and living in his brothers house, he told me of how King still owes him $250,000. He said that for his time with King he was made to train at Kings training camps for months at a time. Tom was unaware that he was being charged by King something like $5000 per day at the camp. Put a few months work in and your well over $300,000. The numbers may be off in my memorie but not by much.

There are so many stories of the struggle after for these fighters. Dealing with life after the ring with no training for "the real world" behind them, trying to cope with what is left of their mental capacities after so many have been manipulated and taken advantage of. Death is not the only tragedy in this sport...........Rockin'

Excellent post!! don King is the filth that gathere under your fingernails if you don't clean them. The biggest theif in boxing. Hope "Boom Boom" gets back on his feet again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael S View Post

Probably one of the saddest things you'll ever see.
      http://www.geraldmcclellan.com/trust.html
      just go to gm trust and you can pay thru paypal or any other bank transfer or credit card.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        Death in the ring is certanly tragic, I wish that it was not part of the game but it is. Nobody thinks stepping into the ring that this will be their last miments of existance. But there are far more stories of a different tragic sort, that of dispair, poverty and mass confusion. Little is ever reported or heard of about what happens to many of our fighters after their careers are over. Night after night and time after time these men stepped up and went to war. Partly for the fire that burned with in them, partly for the money and partly for the pleasure of the crowds. We watched as the exited the ring batered and bruised with blood still tricling down their brows from the warring. None of us seem to hear about their lives after the spot lights have faded to the next up and comer. Few of us hear of the coping with life after ring. Coping with life after and pofessional athletes career is tough enough but our fighters deal with so much more pain and struggle, almost comparable to the pain and struggle they dealt with in the ring. For some the struggle with life after the ring is the hardest and longest fight that many retired fighters will ever see.

Ive read about it, seen it first hand and wondered why these fighters are not taken care of. Most or many come from a low level or poverty stricken enviornment. Many have little schooling behind them. Alot choose the ring as their only vocation and therefore have few skills that they are able to apply in the real world once their careers are over. Boxing is a life long dedication, certain things are set aside to strive for the glory and prizes. Thats the way it is with alot of athletes. However, unlike most professional sports boxers have no pension program in place for them. No 401k plans, no insurance and basically nothing pre-planned for the future after the ring. For most fighters the little that they are able to generate for income is not enough for them to even survive on, therefore, without sponsership they are forced to hold full or part time jobs besides their training and roadwork. I did this and let me tell you that it is not an easy task by any means. Even the fighters that were able to generate large purses ;ater find themselves with little after their ring careers have ended. Ruthless management and promoters. People they have trusted to handle their expenses and money transactions mishandling and basically stealing from them, And with some excessive squandering of their riches. Bottom line, most end up broke. But that is not the most tragic part of it. The tragedy to me is that they have spent years battling for the people, the promoter aswell as themselves and after its all said and done many are left as damaged goods. Their minds no longer sharp, their memories no longer excepting new visions, their speech slurred. Most sports have pensions or programs for their athletes after their careers have finished, but not boxing.

I was interacting with Tom "Boom Boom" Johnson for awhile. We had begun talking about writing his story for the world to view. Tom is one of the kinder and most gentle people that you will meet. He invited me into his house as we looked through his scrap book and watched some videos of his championship fights. After, we began talking about his career and it was filled with misdealings and dishonest actions. Not by Tom but by alot of the people that were supposed to be taking care of him. He wanted to call the book "Adversity on top of Adversity". Let me tell you, just by scrapping the top of the mountain with his stories it was easily seen. When I first entered his house he led me into the kitchen. His speech was slow and at times mumbled and his walk seemed to lack balance at times. This man was a world class athelete who now is damaged, living with his brother in his brothers house with little or no money in the bank. The reason Tom says was abit of sqaundering with his entourage but most Tom said it was due to the unscrupulous dealing of those in the game.

The one story that stood out for me were his dealings with Don King. Tom has alot of anger for this man yet I never heard the word hate come from his mouth. He spoke of how he had to sign with King or he would not get the title shot that he rightfully deserved and how if he did win the title he would have to continue fighting for King. He was livid when, with nothing in the bank and living in his brothers house, he told me of how King still owes him $250,000. He said that for his time with King he was made to train at Kings training camps for months at a time. Tom was unaware that he was being charged by King something like $5000 per day at the camp. Put a few months work in and your well over $300,000. The numbers may be off in my memorie but not by much.

There are so many stories of the struggle after for these fighters. Dealing with life after the ring with no training for "the real world" behind them, trying to cope with what is left of their mental capacities after so many have been manipulated and taken advantage of. Death is not the only tragedy in this sport...........Rockin'
        that was a really good post, thanks rock!!

Comment

A Never Ending Story

Thanks to all that have contributed, but I'm sure there are many more untold stories.

Comment

Thanks for posting the Trust contribution site.

Comment

All of these stories are sad. I started another thread along this line based on a MaxBoxing story I read.

Comment

WHO on this board is the most respected and knowledgable researcher, historian, fan of such Boxing stories... as I may have something of interest for them?

Comment

Please post it, as I always love reading about historic stuff when it comes to boxing.

Comment

this is the best I can do for now

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w0906-glen.html

but for the proper researcher, I can provide him/them with some excellent material that they can duplicate, use and further contribute with!

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for posting it. As I said, I always enjoy reading stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X