Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin's Next Fight: Tureano Johnson Injured and Ruled Out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. The Lara fight is looking good right now. I'm dying to see this fight. Lara better be prepared to see his and Dubas' bluff called.

My prayers are getting answered. This could be made before the Canelo fight, why not?

Kazakhstan is the right venue for this fight.

Comment

GGG vs Lara can happen but Sanchez doesn't want it to happen so I doubt GGG goes against his trainer

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
        GGG looking less than spectacular against Lara is probably necessary imo. GGG is already listed as a -350 favorite (I think it was on Bovada) over Canelo and easily dispatching of Lara would only make those odds go way up for GGG and might even decrease interest in that fight. Not that I'm against GGG vs Lara per se, just disagreeing that a shaky performance in that fight would hurt him much. That being said, Jacobs would be the best of remaining options if Haymon would entertain it.

Also what does Johnson being unavailable have to do with the unification quest? And who says the unification quest is going nowhere? GGG is expecting to fight for the WBC belt in 2016 and I imagine the WBO belt after that (2017).
        I think Lara is the perfect opponent for GGG. First of all, GGG couldn't ask for a better style match-up. GGG's best asset is his footwork and ability to cut off the ring. Lara is a guy that moves the entire fight, playing right into GGG's hands. Then add to that the fact that Lara is naturally smaller and isn't a puncher. Then combine that with the fact that Lara is kinda has that boogeyman persona. And dude is the perfect opponent to make GGG look great.

As for his unification quest. He had a PPV with Lemieux that bombed. He has Saunders, who has no interest in fighting him now or ever. Then he has a bigger star in Canelo who's gonna dictate everything. That fight was supposed to be negotiated within days of the Cotto fight. WBC changed their tunes. Oscar has already come out with ridiculous purse demands. Canelo is holding firm on the weight. The WBC doesn't have to worry about losing credibility if they change their tunes again. They never had any credibility to begin with. As TLC once said, "don't go chasing waterfalls." And that's what this belt quest is. A waterfall with bo end in sight.

Comment

... meanwhile, on Twitter, Erislandy Lara @ laraboxing doesn't give any sign whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
            ... meanwhile, on Twitter, Erislandy Lara @ laraboxing doesn't give any sign whatsoever.
            You mean Lara never calls out GGG when GGG is looking for an opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
              What's worse, the dumb ****s trying to say IBF will get in way of Canelo fight, or letting these people get others worked up. Of course the IBF will tell Johnson he has to wait. It's not GGG's fault he got hurt.

As for Lara, you all know that fight isn't politically possible. There are many fights that would make great sense and great money, but Haymon and HBO isn't working to get them done. Your ****ing dumb if you think they're gonna for a fight that wouldn't get casuals to fork over cash. Hell, no one is sure if GGG/Lara was a PPV smash that it could melt the ice between Haymon and HBO.

It's pointless to even bring up Lara, the guy isn't truly chasing GGG. If Lara comes out and says he can get Haynon to do it, and that his fee won't be so high that HBO tells him to shove it, sure lets talk that fight.

Right now, Lara is calling out a guy he knows he won't have to fight. It's kinda lame really.

Jacob has same issues as Lara, and wants even more money.

You realize Johnson didn't own a title right. GGG is no worse off than he was when they decided to push the Canelo fight to September. The Suanders fight was always one that likely wasn't happening right away.

Yea, that coward ass ginger headed Mexican can realize the biggest fight right now for both of them is each other. At least that fight is politically possible.

If they cleared him in May the IBF wouldn't force GGG to do his mandatory knowing that Canelo was coming up. They were gonna let GGG push it off for Suanders, you think they wouldn't for Canelo fight.

I know Canelo fans are hoping to God the guy finds a way out of fighting GGG, but this ant it.
              They didn't push it off for Saunders nuthugger they told Lil g and his team to start talks with Johnson before Saunders camp even said they was going in another direction

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                This is weird. I haven't seen Johnson say anything about a shoulder injury on Twitter. If you follow Johnson on Twitter you know he loves to talk, especially about fighting GGG. It's a fight he's been wanting for over a year. Checked his Twitter this morning and he hasn't made a statement. The only thing he's been talking about is training for GGG. Is the injury recent?
                No, but oddly enough Tureano just retweeted a couple WBC-Canelo/Golovkin promo's.

Comment

Originally posted by can'tholdmeback View Post
                  they didn't push it off for saunders nuthugger they told lil g and his team to start talks with johnson before saunders camp even said they was going in another direction
                  ??? ................................

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                    This is weird. I haven't seen Johnson say anything about a shoulder injury on Twitter. If you follow Johnson on Twitter you know he loves to talk, especially about fighting GGG. It's a fight he's been wanting for over a year. Checked his Twitter this morning and he hasn't made a statement. The only thing he's been talking about is training for GGG. Is the injury recent?
                    it's as real as goldenboy made it up lil g nuthuggers don't realize this is a attempt to force hands to try avoid fight in September

Comment

Originally posted by Can'tHoldMeBack View Post
                      They didn't push it off for Saunders nuthugger they told Lil g and his team to start talks with Johnson before Saunders camp even said they was going in another direction
                      Yes they did. The IBF President stated they were waiting to see if Golovkin was going to get a unification fight before they issued the mandatory.

Lindsey Tucker, the Championship Chairman of the IBF, explained to BoxingScene.com:
                      "We kinda gave 'Triple G' a break. Initially the WBC said the winner of (Miguel) Cotto-(Saul) Alvarez was going to fight 'Triple G' and then that fell out. And then they tried to make Andy Lee (who at the time held the WBO belt before losing to Saunders on December 19th). I think they got him to agree to a unification, the problem is Andy Lee lost the fight.".

Tucker says it was his assumption that Lee had agreed to a deal to face Golovkin next based on reports he had read. Tom Loeffler, the managing director of K2 says a binding agreement with Lee was not consummated to unify their titles. Now the focus for Golovkin is to make a deal to face Saunders on April 23rd.

"Now a unification takes priority over the mandatory. We were trying to allow (Golovkin) to do the unification but now we're probably going to ask him to come and do the mandatory because that's next," says Tucker, who is obviously skeptical that a deal can be struck by K2 and Frank Warren.

"I don't see any of the other champions that look like they're interested in fighting (Golovkin), right now. I could be wrong but I don't see any."
                      According to Tucker, the president of the IBF, Daryl Peoples will soon get in contact with K2 Promotions and set a date to begin negotiations for a Golovkin-Johnson fight.
                      http://www.boxingscene.com/ibf-nears...ohnson--100116

Comment

Working...
                      X