By Radio Rahim
For most of last week, super featherweight contender Nicholas Walters (26-1-1, 21KOs) had stated in several interviews that his inactivity would not play a role in last Saturday's fight against Vasyl Lomachenko (7-1, 4KOs) at the Cosmopolitan Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas.
Lomachenko dominated the fight and made Walters quit after seven completed rounds.
But after contest was over, Walters blamed inactivity for his poor performance in the fight. Walters has been inactive since going to a lackluster twelve round draw against Jason Sosa last December. Sosa has since captured the WBA 'regular' super featherweight world title.
Walters believes that if he had two warm-up fights, then it would have been a lot different for him
"It wasn't about not getting the job done tonight. You have to look at the inactivity. When a fighter is fighting at his best is when the fighter is fighting at his most. Inactivity for this year, this was the first fight for this year. Every fighter gets their warm-up fights," Walters said to BoxingScene.com.
"Every time I go into the ring, it's against the best. This is my first fight of the year and look who they give me, the top fighter in the weight. Less activity for this year, that's the main cause. We need to maybe get three fights per year. If I had two fights before this fight, it would be a hell of a different show."
When the end came, Walters says he was seriously hurt and barely made it to bell.
“He was catching me clearly in the last round. I barely made it through the last round,” Walters said. “I was out of range. I wasn’t finding my range. He was getting better and better each round. And then in the seventh round, he caught me with good body shots and he caught me with good head shots. My corner decided it would be stupid to go out there.”