No announcement yet.

Harold Johnson 1928-2015

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    I don't believe Johnson is underrated at all, when you ask most that know about him, they rate him well but he can't be rated among the other great champions in the division because his reign was so short and he was KOd too often, especially against guys he shouldn't have been KOd by.

Stop using box rec as a source and admit that you don't know much about him.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Wasn't really considered fan friendly, known as a boring fighter in his time, known as a light puncher (he wasn't s light puncher)

I don't really know to be honest.

He was very well respected amongst his peers, Charles, Moore, Louis, all the big names of his era had a lot of respect for him.

They had to, he beat Charles and him and Moore had 5 fights. Moore won 4 but all of them were close except the 5th which Johnson was winning comfortably until Moore caught him in the 14th, even dropping Moore in the 10th.

And he used to spar with Joe Louis. And Sonny Liston aswell later in his career, word on the street was he gave Liston the business in sparring.
      Might not get the accolodes because of the division....I bet that when the Jinx passes the first thing out of people's collective ignorant mouths will be something to the effect of "Oh the guy that Tyson beat up." The top light heavies are some of the best fighters that have ever graced the square circle, and its a tough division because there is one punch power along with the attributes of smaller faster fighters. Bob Foster could punch with the best of em!

RIP champ!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I don't believe Johnson is underrated at all, when you ask most that know about him, they rate him well but he can't be rated among the other great champions in the division because his reign was so short and he was KOd too often, especially against guys he shouldn't have been KOd by.
        Well, why was his reign short? Do you know?

"KO'd too often" Learn about the sport.

He was legitimately knocked out twice, once by Archie Moore, once by Oakland Billy Smith. Both very big punchers.

All the others were freak injury, a dive and the only other one was on cuts when he was shot.

So try doing actual research and not looking on Boxrec.

Comment

Talk to me about Ezzard Charles title reign. Oh wait, what title reign? He didn't even have one.

And that's the greatest LHW of all time.

Oh look, Charles was stopped more times than Johnson.

Comment

Talk to me about Ezzard Charles title reign. Oh wait, what title reign? He didn't even have one.

A ridiculous post by him.

I didnt know Johnson was still alive which is sad, good to see he lived to a ripe old age.

R.I.P

Comment

Does anyone know if he ever explained the whole orange incident in later life?

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                Does anyone know if he ever explained the whole orange incident in later life?
                Unresolved as far as I'm aware.

They tested the Orange and they said there was no trace of drugs in it.

Just one of those crazy, unresolved situations.

Comission ruled it a dive.

Who knows.

Comment

Wow one of the lightheavyweight greats.

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    Stop using box rec as a source and admit that you don't know much about him.
                    am I wrong in what I said? He was KOd, Charles and Moore were superior when it came to being big fight players. I have spoken about Johnson years ago, long before this thread, in a greatest of LHW division thread I made. I rate him but he isn't comparable to the iconic champions of the division. That's the truth.

If you don't like it, it's up to you.

Comment

Charles had an even better resume than Johnson, that's why he may be regarded as the best ever lhw and his legacy is enhanced by his hw run.

Charles fought from w to hw, he is in a different league to johnson.

As I've said before, I rate Johnson but to rank him alongside Charles, Moore, Foster and the like is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X