No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua Drops, Stops Alexander Povetkin in Seventh

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheJPF View Post

You tell me, if you were a coward, would you rather fight pillowfist Fury in his current shape... or AJ in his current shape? Wilder made his choice by not signing the contract.
    How could he when he had the contract snatched right out from under him by Eddie Hearn? It's the classic bait and switch tactic. Both Joshua and Hearn are full of shit! They have no real plans for Wilder or ever had any real plans to fight Wilder. Once Deontay was all set to sign the contract and exercised his due diligence about the opponent's name, venue and date then Hearn contacted the WBA to enforce the WBA's 24 hour Povetkin mandatory deadline. That's why we are having the Fury/Wilder contest in December because AJuice have no balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
      david haye was a boxer from the age of 10 ...not sure where you got that info from in the 1st place bill.
      As for fury he has been extremely clever in his pro career and picked fighters that really were suited to his style.
      Fury skill set when faced with a world class heavyweight will always get exposed.
      Yes he beat WK but i think it was just one of those nights where it just worked for him but it was a horrendous fight from both fighters with very little action.
      I look more to the fury who win a majority decision against chisora and was dropped by a cruiserweight cunningham.
      Anthony joshua wouod beat fury every dsy of the week and on Sundays this i have no doubt about.
      Fury has played a very good poker hand but now he has to show his cards.
      Both joshua and wilder will make easy work of him mark my words.
      Haye picked a style of fighting that suites someone who is relying on athletic ability, not boxing skills. And while I cannot argue Hayes credentials I will not question your premise out of laziness as I do not want to look up Haye.

I don't know what you think you know about Fury, I would not know where to start taking issue with your post. He beat the best out there when he beat Klitsko, he has never been exposed, and frankly it does not matter what you, or I "think." Fury has been fighting and at a level where he was watched carefully since being a youngster, I doubt Haye "boxing since the age of 10" had the same exposure.

Being put on the seat of your pants is not exposed. Fury was not hurt and though some have taken issue in the past, the truth is Cunningham can crack.

We will probably be treated to a conclusion to what Fury will do against at least one of these guys then one of us can feast on crow.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Haye picked a style of fighting that suites someone who is relying on athletic ability, not boxing skills. And while I cannot argue Hayes credentials I will not question your premise out of laziness as I do not want to look up Haye.

I don't know what you think you know about Fury, I would not know where to start taking issue with your post. He beat the best out there when he beat Klitsko, he has never been exposed, and frankly it does not matter what you, or I "think." Fury has been fighting and at a level where he was watched carefully since being a youngster, I doubt Haye "boxing since the age of 10" had the same exposure.

Being put on the seat of your pants is not exposed. Fury was not hurt and though some have taken issue in the past, the truth is Cunningham can crack.

We will probably be treated to a conclusion to what Fury will do against at least one of these guys then one of us can feast on crow.
        Haye was an excellent amatuer and boxed at the highest level world, europe and the ABA's and was extremly unlucky in qualifyiing for the sydney Olympics.
        Tell me besides klitchcko who has fury beat that we can say is on a povetkin level.
        Chisora,hammer,cunningham, mcdermott.
        Untill fury can repeat the same result he did against klitchcko i will call it a fluke and i will also add he was caught with peds in his system and he also pulled out of the rematch with klitchcko with a fake injury , probably because he knew he could not repeat the same result as he did in the 1st fight.
        For somebody that has been a pro for over 9 years he has an appalling record but i think its more down to him not wanting to be exposed by a dangerous fighter so he has been managed carefully.
        Good marketing but sooner or later you must cash your chips at the table
        Prove me otherwise bill
        Last edited by The plunger man; 09-23-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The plunger man View Post
          where's john digweed ?
          here's john ...

Comment

• Originally posted by PotentialToast View Post
            Did Povetkin throwh a straight right? Don't think so.
            Did I say he did?

But you could see by the way Povetkin was landing the right he was still open to it. Or maybe you couldn't see...

Comment

• First off, very good breakdown of the fight, I agree with your assessment; Now in defense of my comments...It wasn't a direct correlation between AJ's fight with Povetkin and me thinking Wilder beats him....its been more of a slow gradual change in my stance. Povetkin is a polar opposite in physical and technical levels compared to Wilder. I didn't see a specific weakness or tendency in AJ's fight that has swayed me. I think Wilder is at the apex of what he will be and I think AJ is still growing; the longer this fight takes to be made the better AJ's chances are IMHO. If this fight takes place in April, I think Deontay probably wins. I may be completely wrong in this assessment but I think Wilder knows who he is for better or worse. He knows he's not the most skilled boxer or the most technically sound but he has supreme confidence in his power. He knows he can lose multiple rounds and be hurt but all he needs to do is land his dynamite. Sometimes I feel like AJ is still trying to figure out who he is as a fighter. He has more facets to his game than DW but sometimes I think he doesn't know which one he really wants to showcase.

Originally posted by angkag View Post
              I'm struggling to get any take-aways in how a Joshua/Wilder fight would play out. The first 5 rounds were all about a smaller, athletic guy trying to find a way in, and Joshua trying to keep him out. Povetkin met with enough success in 4 of those rounds to earn them (imo), with only the 4th where Joshua met with adequate success and counters to earn the round (again, just my opinion).

Trouble was, the speed and skills Povetkin was using in the first 5 were never going to make it to the last 6 rounds, and we saw in the 6th what happened once he lost the edge that was giving him most of the first 5. He was still getting through in the 6th, but for the first time started taking heavy return fire, and it was just a question of timing once Joshua landed the right in the 6th that clearly took some steam out of Povetkin.

So what we learned is that Joshua could be beaten by someone like Povetkin who could keep it up for 12 rounds. Trouble is, not many Povetkins out there, and can't think of any who could keep up what he was doing in the first 5 for 12 rounds.

Wilder isn't Povetkin, neither is Ortiz (styles), so I can't see any triangle or other theory that helps speculation on how Wilder/Joshua would play out.

For Joshua, I guess it was good sparring against Povetkin as there were clear lessons to be learned and things to work on, so that next time he fights someone with the same style he meets with greater success - so a good night for Joshua in getting a good ko, and enough work to make some improvements.

As for the stoppage, did I read someone say it was too early ?? The ref would have got a lot of flak if he let that go on any longer - its how boxers can get severe damage. He did a good job and called it right.

Comment

• Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                They each have advantages and disadvantages. But I think it's time, just as everyone has conceded that AJ is the better technical boxer, all need to concede that Wilder is the harder puncher. There shouldn't even be an argument. Wilder has concussive knock out power, he has the kind of power that detaches people from their senses. AJ certainly has above average power, but it is not in the realm of Wilder's. We are talking about beyond Forman, maybe equaling Tyson possibly surpassing, when you take into consideration the difference in size and muscle between the two fighters. When you also consider that Wilder's punches have put people in to convulsions, has lifted people off the ground, he knocked out a fight with the palm of his glove, and he hit Stivern so hard in the face, that Stivern was complaining Wilder hit him behind the head. AJ's power just doesn't reach that level.
                Joshua above average power? lol

Hes stopped far more credible and proven guys with better chins and same opponents faster then Wilder did with less punches.

Wilders superhuman power got him 2 actual k.os who were Szpilka and Stiverne in title fights..the rest ? not really they were Tko's including Ortiz who was looking at the crowd in exhaustion on one knee.

Joshua is the best finisher at HW with accurate powerful punching ,its not even close as good a finisher as Wilder is.
                Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-25-2018, 05:55 AM.

Comment

• Wow, feel like I walked into the Normandy beach of arguments.

Great for AJ stopping a man that has never been stopped, even by a prime Klitschko.
                  Great for Wilder and Fury for arranging the date. Now we Brits need to know a location so I know what time to set my alarm!

Both fights serve a purpose and will hopefully lead us to a big showdown next year. May the best man win.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeGoodland View Post
                    Wow, feel like I walked into the Normandy beach of arguments.

Great for AJ stopping a man that has never been stopped, even by a prime Klitschko.
                    Great for Wilder and Fury for arranging the date. Now we Brits need to know a location so I know what time to set my alarm!

Both fights serve a purpose and will hopefully lead us to a big showdown next year. May the best man win.
                    Right. I’d hate to see my favourite fighter get a win I didn’t think he deserved. Shouldn’t be brits vs USA, if we don’t agree on outcome I’d like it to be mixed everywhere.

Comment

• Povetkin was never the same without peds.

Comment

Working...
                      X