No announcement yet.

Cardio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    No, if a boxer can use more mass that's a separate issue. Being larger may increase your punching power but that has more to do with finding your correct weight class and size.
    I'm not too sure, so I'll ask here, but I was told best way to build power was to use the wall bag. That's why weights were never a big thing to me, when it came to boxing, because I was told that the wall bag would be the best exercise to build power in my punches. Is that true?

I'm not even sure if that's a dumb question or not. I never really thought too much into it, until now when we're talking about power punches.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Cardio and boxing? I wouldn''t know nothin' 'bout dat.....Rockin'
      Apparently neither do I LOL.
      Roadwork. Basic roadwork. I'll be adding it in more chronically starting next week. Ugh, no pain, no gain.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
        I'm not too sure, so I'll ask here, but I was told best way to build power was to use the wall bag. That's why weights were never a big thing to me, when it came to boxing, because I was told that the wall bag would be the best exercise to build power in my punches. Is that true?

I'm not even sure if that's a dumb question or not. I never really thought too much into it, until now when we're talking about power punches.
        I'm not familiar with the term wall bag but I'm thinking it's probably the heavy bag. Yea, that's definitely the way to develop your power. Most of a boxer's power comes from technique and the heavy bag is where you develop that. But, you also get some muscular development working the heavy bag too.

Comment

Running 3 miles two or three times a week is a good basic cardio routine for boxing.

On one of those days throw in bursts of short sprints as you're doing the longer, slower paced run.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the term wall bag but I'm thinking it's probably the heavy bag. Yea, that's definitely the way to develop your power. Most of a boxer's power comes from technique and the heavy bag is where you develop that. But, you also get some muscular development working the heavy bag too.
            Not too sure if it'll show up, but it's something similar to this, but ours is, I think, homemade and probably far larger for more hitting area:
            http://www.shotokankaratediary.com/w...n-Makiwara.jpg

It's literally just a slab of wood, mounted to a wall, with cushioning. Maybe there's a different name for it, but that's all I've ever heard them refer to it as. It doesn't move like a heavy bag but it's great to learn weight transfer for your hooks. That's where my coach forces me to use my strength, hit as hard as I can, all my punches, doubles, Southpaw, etc.

Comment

3 miles, I can do that. I mean, it'll probably suck, I'll die inside the first 2-3 weeks, but I can do that for sure.
              Thank you!

Good to know a basis and foundation to meet and then build off of.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
                Not too sure if it'll show up, but it's something similar to this, but ours is, I think, homemade and probably far larger for more hitting area:
                http://www.shotokankaratediary.com/w...n-Makiwara.jpg

It's literally just a slab of wood, mounted to a wall, with cushioning. Maybe there's a different name for it, but that's all I've ever heard them refer to it as. It doesn't move like a heavy bag but it's great to learn weight transfer for your hooks. That's where my coach forces me to use my strength, hit as hard as I can, all my punches, doubles, Southpaw, etc.
                I don't care for stuff like that as it's harder on the joints and doesn't replicate the way and opponent's body moved when impacted, which affects your balance. IMO, when you strike surfaces that are too stiff you develop bad habits because you get used to that object absorbing full impact and you sink your weight into it. Hitting a heavy bag, which is moving, is far better for your balance, footwork, etc.

Your opponent is never going to be in the ideal spot so you want to work on hitting a heavy bag while it's swinging. Otherwise, you'll be like Wilder, a strong punches who is always loading up and missing a lot, sometimes falling over.

Comment

When I was going to a boxing gym there were structured training classes every evening and also Saturday. The Tuesday/Thursday instructor was super brutal with the conditioning he put us through, so naturally most people only went to the Mon/Wed/Sat training. I'm sort of masochistic and love working out so never missed a Tuesday/Thursday.

And man could I tell a difference when I sparred someone who only did the Mon/Wed/Sat training. There were a couple of times where someone just wanted to stop mid round, not because I was putting a beating on them but because they were that winded that they just couldn't keep going (or at least they felt like they couldn't)

Comment

Hopefully it is obvious to most and needs not be said, but in any case, "resistance training" and "cardio" are not opposites; by means of properly executed resistance training one can impose extraordinary demands on the cardiovascular system, and training in such a manner does not result in inferior improvements in size and strength. Arthur Jones: http://naples.concept1010.com/arthur-jones-interview

Comment

I don't care for stuff like that as it's harder on the joints and doesn't replicate the way and opponent's body moved when impacted, which affects your balance. .
                      I wouldn't say you're wrong, it does kind of mess me up (because it plays into my liking to be stationary), but I also notice my ability to pivot with more body weight, strength from the bottom up, has improved greatly, which I lacked tremendously 2 months ago. I couldn't understand but eventually the body just began to move. I feel more confident in my hits now. We don't use the wall bag too often, it hurts my arms (my triceps actually for some reason), and like I said, we don't focus on my strength too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X