No announcement yet.

Cardio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
    And man could I tell a difference when I sparred someone who only did the Mon/Wed/Sat training. There were a couple of times where someone just wanted to stop mid round, not because I was putting a beating on them but because they were that winded that they just couldn't keep going (or at least they felt like they couldn't)
    "If a man can't breathe, a man can't fight."
    I hate hearing this saying, and it gets drilled into me every M/W/F.
    Guess there's a multitude of truth to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
      Hopefully it is obvious to most and needs not be said, but in any case, "resistance training" and "cardio" are not opposites; by means of properly executed resistance training one can impose extraordinary demands on the cardiovascular system, and training in such a manner does not result in inferior improvements in size and strength. Arthur Jones: http://naples.concept1010.com/arthur-jones-interview
      Sorry, just finished skimming and reading the article. I can concur with most of the basis laid out in the article. It's things I've heard and believe. HIIT is a big success and a loved form of exercise now a days. Strength training does burn more calories overall throughout the day. Running is boring, and I was very happy the article pointed out how little calories it actually burns. I used to jog/run a lot to lose weight and the weight was coming off so slowly, that it was depressing.

The only thing I will say is, I don't think resistance training should completely replace cardio, maybe balance it out, take some pressure off your feet and knees and ankles, but definitely not replace which seemed to be almost where the article was leaning towards.
      Last edited by cv808; 07-22-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cv808 View Post
        "If a man can't breathe, a man can't fight."
        I hate hearing this saying, and it gets drilled into me every M/W/F.
        Guess there's a multitude of truth to it.
        Oh for sure haha. That's a wise saying!

Comment

Sorry, just finished skimming and reading the article. I can concur with most of the basis laid out in the article. It's things I've heard and believe. HIIT is a big success and a loved form of exercise now a days. Strength training does burn more calories overall throughout the day. Running is boring, and I was very happy the article pointed out how little calories it actually burns. I used to jog/run a lot to lose weight and the weight was coming off so slowly, that it was depressing.

The only thing I will say is, I don't think resistance training should completely replace cardio, maybe balance it out, take some pressure off your feet and knees and ankles, but definitely not replace which seemed to be almost where the article was leaning towards.
          I hope the above is a typo; high-intensity interval training (HIIT) ≠ high-intensity training (HIT).

Obviously, I disagree with much of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by GelfSara View Post
            I hope the above is a typo; high-intensity interval training (HIIT) ≠ high-intensity training (HIT).

Obviously, I disagree with much of the above.
            Yeah, sorry, definitely a typo. So you feel HIT is more efficient? I'm willing to test that out for size for a month or so. I actually haven't been let down by any advice given on here, so I'm more than willing to try HIT more frequently.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, definitely a typo. So you feel HIT is more efficient? I'm willing to test that out for size for a month or so. I actually haven't been let down by any advice given on here, so I'm more than willing to try HIT more frequently.
              After boxing-specific training (sparring, heavy-bag work, etc.)--which is by far the most important type of training for a skill-based sport, the next component I would add would be HIT sessions performed on average 1-2 times per week, yes.
              Last edited by GelfSara; 08-08-2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

How much cardio does everyone do?
                How do you incorporate it into your day? Your work schedule and boxing schedule?

Reality is I won't ever be as strong as the guys in my club, but I think to offset that some, my coach wants my speed and stamina and endurance to supersede my lack of strength.

Anywho, my cardio routine is killing him, so he got me running the beach after boxing training since I refuse to wake up at 3:30-4am.
                Try this for cardio

Comment

Originally posted by abracada View Post
                  Try this for cardio

hahahahahahaha

Comment

Every time a fighter comes out with more science than quantum physics they have gas issues like holyfield.

I look to old school fighters like Floyd and Calzaghe who do a lot of road work and get a lot done with their tank, usually Floyd pulling away in the late rounds and Calzaghe outworking his opponent throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart_boxer View Post
                      Every time a fighter comes out with more science than quantum physics they have gas issues like holyfield.

I look to old school fighters like Floyd and Calzaghe who do a lot of road work and get a lot done with their tank, usually Floyd pulling away in the late rounds and Calzaghe outworking his opponent throughout.
                      Funny, you'd comment. I've been putting in a heck of a lot more roadwork lately, and I can tell the difference. Annoyed as hell my coach was right, but learning to just agree with his conditioning and training even if it kills me lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X