Cardio

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio

How much cardio does everyone do?
    How do you incorporate it into your day? Your work schedule and boxing schedule?

Reality is I won't ever be as strong as the guys in my club, but I think to offset that some, my coach wants my speed and stamina and endurance to supersede my lack of strength.

Anywho, my cardio routine is killing him, so he got me running the beach after boxing training since I refuse to wake up at 3:30-4am.

Cardio wins fights. Look at a guy like Calzaghe. He beat stronger, more skilled men by being able to constantly throw punches and never letting his opponent rest.
    Do as much cardio as you physically can, then do a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Cardio wins fights. Look at a guy like Calzaghe. He beat stronger, more skilled men by being able to constantly throw punches and never letting his opponent rest.
      Do as much cardio as you physically can, then do a bit more.
      I have read your intelligent posts for a year now and from this I'm guessing that you don't think weights are necessary for a boxer to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMichael View Post
        I have read your intelligent posts for a year now and from this I'm guessing that you don't think weights are necessary for a boxer to be successful.
        When you look at the grand scheme of things, no. They aren't required. People who aren't putting in the work, aren't getting their cardio up, aren't learning the science, or just don't have the natural talent often spend time on weights because they are something that's easy to do. Much easier than drilling footwork, sparring, doing roadwork. So, I think it gets far too much emphasis from guys who are starting out. They think to themselves, "if i was bigger, stronger..." But, that's a lie.

Weights CAN benefit you, depending on the individual, so I will never say I'm against them or that weights are bad. But, I do think guys who need to work on other aspects often spend misguided energy on weights. Weights will NEVER win you a fight. Cardio, footwork, timing, defense, etc will so when you have those on-point you can address bulk, which is lower on the scale of things.

Comment

When you look at the grand scheme of things, no. They aren't required. People who aren't putting in the work, aren't getting their cardio up, aren't learning the science, or just don't have the natural talent often spend time on weights because they are something that's easy to do. Much easier than drilling footwork, sparring, doing roadwork. So, I think it gets far too much emphasis from guys who are starting out. They think to themselves, "if i was bigger, stronger..." But, that's a lie.
          I hate weights. I only do lifting once a week. Oddly enough, no one in my boxing club thinks anything of it (as if once a week is perfectly fine), it's everyone else that sees it as too little. Just interesting how, like you said, boxing differs in need than people generally assume. I only lift for strength and toning.

As for cardio, yeah... I hate cardio enough where I guess it has to be forced into my regime. I'm scared of the day my coach makes me run in sand. I thought the coaches were singling me out at first (LOL) when I was the only one to be forced to do roadwork, but I think in the grandest scheme of things, they wanted me to have an advantage over those that rather just do heavy bag and sparring.

I'm actually a bit happy to hear I don't need to be strong to do good. It's an insecurity of mine. Being the only female in my club, and the newest to boxing, it's so blatantly obvious the strength and skill difference. It took a huge blow to my pride when I had to accept I'd never be able to hit as hard as these guys. That's when coach started drilling footwork, speed, even against the heavy bag, everything comes down to speed and endurance right now.

Comment

Weights CAN benefit you, depending on the individual, so I will never say I'm against them or that weights are bad. But, I do think guys who need to work on other aspects often spend misguided energy on weights. Weights will NEVER win you a fight. Cardio, footwork, timing, defense, etc will so when you have those on-point you can address bulk, which is lower on the scale of things.
            Fair enough. So I gather that you don't think weights can improve punching power. Because to me, if it can't improve power there is no point in it unless you are trying to move up a weight class and need the extra weight.

Comment

Fair enough. So I gather that you don't think weights can improve punching power. Because to me, if it can't improve power there is no point in it unless you are trying to move up a weight class and need the extra weight.
              No, if a boxer can use more mass that's a separate issue. Being larger may increase your punching power but that has more to do with finding your correct weight class and size.

Spending more time on technique is where it's at anyway. When I was bodybuilding I didn't punch nearly as hard as I do now, even though I weigh 50lbs less now. That's because my technique is far better now. People starting out are wasting their time trying to put on muscle because there's so much more they can do for themselves first. The guy that spent his time on cardio and techie will always beat the guy who was lifting weights. Save the weights for when you are competing and trying to get a small advantage within your weight class.

Comment

Got it. BTW: who's the cool cat in your avatar?

Comment

Got it. BTW: who's the cool cat in your avatar?
                  Ken Norton. He was before my time and didn't have the best technique in the world but he sure gave Ali problems. And, was a real cool dude.

Comment

Cardio and boxing? I wouldn''t know nothin' 'bout dat.....Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X