Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think UFC is desperate..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Toney will probably make more money with the UFC. What's your source on the Showtime bit?

2. How does Dana signing an old boxer make the sports media look dumb? considering how critical he's (White) been about the boringness of boxing

the last thing I'd expect is for the President of the UFC to do is sign a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by MJ406 View Post
      1. Toney will probably make more money with the UFC. What's your source on the Showtime bit?

2. How does Dana signing an old boxer make the sports media look dumb? considering how critical he's (White) been about the boringness of boxing

the last thing I'd expect is for the President of the UFC to do is sign a boxer.
      Toney wanted the UFC not the other way around. Dana is just shutting him up. Also, your hate for Dana is not unfounded but he's a huge boxing fan, and if you don't think there are boring boxing fights you're insane...

Comment

Listen to what White actually says

Originally posted by kaps View Post
        Toney wanted the UFC not the other way around. Dana is just shutting him up. Also, your hate for Dana is not unfounded but he's a huge boxing fan, and if you don't think there are boring boxing fights you're insane...
        your right ... Toney did want in the UFC. And I don't "Hate" Dana .. he's done some great things for MMA .. but you need to look at what he's said about boxing

have you ever heard Dana White talk in an interview? pretty much every time he speaks it's "Floyd Mayweather is boring" ... the man sounds like a broken record

no **** boxing has boring fights .. I never said it didn't, but from hearing Dana White speak on boxing you'd think boxing was boring all the time

because all I hear Dana White talk about for the most part is Floyd Mayweather Jr, and how "all Floyd's fights" are boring.

and besides if Dana really was a "huge boxing fan" as you say ... then why does he bash boxing all the time?

a huge fan of the sport wouldn't do that.

if you happened to catch the post fight press conference @ UFC 111 the first retort Dana White had to fans calling the GSP-Hardy boring

was to (surprise) bring up Floyd Mayweather Jr

if im a so called "hater" of Dana White

then what is he of boxing? because he can't be a huge fan when he bashes the sport almost every chance he gets

GSP-Hardy gets called boring and the first thing Dana can come up with is "Oh well Floyd Mayweather is boring all the time"

Comment

Dana signed Toney because he didn't want him to go to Strikeforce. Dana originally turned Toney down but Toney than used Strikeforce to leverage a deal with the UFC.

Also early buyrate estimates for UFC 111 indicate that it got 850,000 buys.

Comment

your right ... Toney did want in the UFC. And I don't "Hate" Dana .. he's done some great things for MMA .. but you need to look at what he's said about boxing

have you ever heard Dana White talk in an interview? pretty much every time he speaks it's "Floyd Mayweather is boring" ... the man sounds like a broken record

no **** boxing has boring fights .. I never said it didn't, but from hearing Dana White speak on boxing you'd think boxing was boring all the time

because all I hear Dana White talk about for the most part is Floyd Mayweather Jr, and how "all Floyd's fights" are boring.

and besides if Dana really was a "huge boxing fan" as you say ... then why does he bash boxing all the time?

a huge fan of the sport wouldn't do that.

if you happened to catch the post fight press conference @ UFC 111 the first retort Dana White had to fans calling the GSP-Hardy boring

was to (surprise) bring up Floyd Mayweather Jr

if im a so called "hater" of Dana White

then what is he of boxing? because he can't be a huge fan when he bashes the sport almost every chance he gets

GSP-Hardy gets called boring and the first thing Dana can come up with is "Oh well Floyd Mayweather is boring all the time"
            Dana bashes boxing to bring attention and attract people to his brand.

Floyd bashes MMA to draw attention to his fights.

Dana doesn't hate MMA, he wouldn't have paid to sit ringside and watch Pac/Clottey if he hated boxing.

I can't say Floyd doesn't hate MMA, but again it's just how they sell their fights/brands.

Although Floyd strokes his own ego so much, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did hate MMA.

Comment

hate is a strong word to use.

but im just sayin .. GSP-Hardy was called boring and one of the first thing White comments back is about Floyd Mayweather

what the hell does Floyd Mayweather have to do with the GSP-Hardy fight?

yeah you are right though .. so many promoters, presidents, athletes play to the media it gets kind of hard to tell how they actually feel

**but who really cares .. anyone can talk (using another example) but just because Rashad Evans talks about knocking out Thiago Silva in the build up to UFC 108 ... doesn't mean he'll actually fight like that come fight night

in the long run, it's just talking anyone can do it. Rashad didn't fight to finish Thiago and I won't hold it against him or lose any sleep over it.

Comment

hate is a strong word to use.

but im just sayin .. GSP-Hardy was called boring and one of the first thing White comments back is about Floyd Mayweather

what the hell does Floyd Mayweather have to do with the GSP-Hardy fight?
                I never hear Dana reference Floyd pertaining to GSP/Hardy. But in a way, GSP fights a very smart, tactical and conservative way, much like Floyd. He doesn't over extent himself, fights where he is the strongest and humiliates very good fighters in doing so.

So you could make an argument for comparison there.

Some people think fighting smart is boring. But as a fight fan you need to learn to appreciate guys that employ actual strategy when they fight.

yeah you are right though .. so many promoters, presidents, athletes play to the media it gets kind of hard to tell how they actually feel

**but who really cares .. anyone can talk (using another example) but just because Rashad Evans talks about knocking out Thiago Silva in the build up to UFC 108 ... doesn't mean he'll actually fight like that come fight night

in the long run, it's just talking anyone can do it. Rashad didn't fight to finish Thiago and I won't hold it against him or lose any sleep over it.
                Agreed. Everyone can talk and hype a fight so when Dana bashes boxing in the media or Floyd bashes MMA in the media. I take it with a grain of salt.

IMO, these guy are just trying to sell their ****. And when people get all pissy about it, you are essentially doing exactly what they want you to do....pay attention

Comment

1. Actually, it was from Toney himself. While he does BS a lot, this particular information does have legs. Coker is co-promoting with a couple of top promotions, yet you got Bobby Lashley and Herschel Walker fighting bad matchups on a Strikeforce card. This is because Showtime/CBS is picking and pushing fights they think people want to see while actual good fighters are still stuck on Challengers cards.

2. They gave more airtime to Walker then any real MMA fighter. That's a slap in the face to Dana. He's just now realizes that they were giving him free BJs just to hang off Brock Lesnar's nuts. And not because he's a fighter, more because he's a wrassler. So the idea is to push the **** out of Toney as a "serious fighter" so as to get them on Toney's nuts and then when Toney's smashed and the media talks about how lame it was, Dana can point out that it was lame because they were nuthugging.

I didn't say it was a good plan.

Comment

Regarding Toney/Hershal ... is that kinda the same idea Elite XC was trying to do with Kimbo?

Comment

Regarding Toney/Hershal ... is that kinda the same idea Elite XC was trying to do with Kimbo?
                      Could've been.

Who knew what went on in the Shaws heads.

Besides fixing fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X