Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your thoughts on BJ Penn at welterweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tocayito1 View Post
    are you saying that bj weighing in at 168 and looking chubby is him being in shape? really he took a week off of training 2 times...was it ******ed?hell yea..hes arrogant and believes he can beat any one on talent alone and that was true for a while until the late rounds when he gasses..

hughes 2nd fight bj was dominating but gassed and lost
    pulver 1st fight same thing
    gsp 1st fight same thing

hughes-said gsp greases
    serra-after beating gsp said he was greasy
    miller-said gsp was greasing to big john mcarthy in between rounds
    sherk-said gsp felt slippery as hell

dude its fine to follow a fighter but dont insult others who like different fighters..im just pointing out bj's balls and his amazing talent

like i said bj penn is the greatest ever
    IMO it would be stupid to fight GSP again, St. Pierre gets better each time out and the little holes he has he patches them up each time out. A third fight would be like the second.

Hughes saying that St. Pierre felt greasy in two of their three fights is kinda suspicious, Serra saying the same. Here is the Hughes quote, “I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think B.J. said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy.”

BJ is really good but in WW Georges is stronger and thats nothing to be ashamed of, but try convincing him of it...

Also, GSP at middleweight would not make sense, first of GSP is way too small for middleweight, height and weight wise. GSP barely makes 180 when not training, he even said it. Going up, with much taller and stronger opponents is not something one can do in a couple of months, BJ did it and lost. The problem is that BJ doesn't commit to being a WW fully, he wants to defend his LW belt and to fight properly at WW he has to relinquish his belt and take the weight gain seriously. Its not enough being at 160 and gaining 10 pounds to make weight. Plus for GSP, its really difficult to gain weight properly when one is smaller. Not all bodies get used to the weight gain perfectly and perform like always. Almost everyone in the division is on or over 6' 1''. To me he doesn't have anything else to prove by moving to MW really.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan, it would be exciting to see GSP at MW, but if it didn't happen I'd understand and really, legacy wise, he really doesn't need to do it.

If BJ really wants that fight he should commit to it fully and have a catch weight fight before making the jump fully at WW then fight one of the top guys before getting his third crack at GSP, just to make it fair to the other top WW at the division....

Comment

IMO, the fact that BJ Penn had the cojones to move up in weight and beat Matt Hughes when Matt Hughes was THE MAN, is more impressive than anything GSP has done.

Comment

Originally posted by Stalaggh View Post
        IMO it would be stupid to fight GSP again, St. Pierre gets better each time out and the little holes he has he patches them up each time out. A third fight would be like the second.

Hughes saying that St. Pierre felt greasy in two of their three fights is kinda suspicious, Serra saying the same. Here is the Hughes quote, “I’m not the only one who has said that GSP felt greasy during a fight. I know Matt Serra has mentioned it and, even in their first fight, I think B.J. said something. I’m not saying GSP did something wrong and I’m not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy.”

BJ is really good but in WW Georges is stronger and thats nothing to be ashamed of, but try convincing him of it...

Also, GSP at middleweight would not make sense, first of GSP is way too small for middleweight, height and weight wise. GSP barely makes 180 when not training, he even said it. Going up, with much taller and stronger opponents is not something one can do in a couple of months, BJ did it and lost. The problem is that BJ doesn't commit to being a WW fully, he wants to defend his LW belt and to fight properly at WW he has to relinquish his belt and take the weight gain seriously. Its not enough being at 160 and gaining 10 pounds to make weight. Plus for GSP, its really difficult to gain weight properly when one is smaller. Not all bodies get used to the weight gain perfectly and perform like always. Almost everyone in the division is on or over 6' 1''. To me he doesn't have anything else to prove by moving to MW really.

Don't get me wrong, as a fan, it would be exciting to see GSP at MW, but if it didn't happen I'd understand and really, legacy wise, he really doesn't need to do it.

If BJ really wants that fight he should commit to it fully and have a catch weight fight before making the jump fully at WW then fight one of the top guys before getting his third crack at GSP, just to make it fair to the other top WW at the division....
        damn bro you wrote an essay lol...i agree with alot that you said..there was more to the hughes quote but thats not important...im not saying gsp needs to go to mw it was just a heated arguement that me and that guy have been having on multiple threads...i dont think bj should go to ww without gaining weight correstly either adn its dumb when he does...bj penn can be competitive at ww maybe not champ again but he can be a contender..i think he can beat kos johnson alves and some others...gsp is great and i hate him but hes amazing... i hear that on fight night he weight around 190 but maybe im wrong...i think he can make 185 fine...and he says he spars with guys way bigger than him and takes them down with ease, so i dont really see why not make the move..even if its just to try it out...franklin vitor hendo anderson wandy couture and others have been very successful fighting out of their natural weight classes so why not gsp?

and catchweight fights suck

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Fury View Post
          IMO, the fact that BJ Penn had the cojones to move up in weight and beat Matt Hughes when Matt Hughes was THE MAN, is more impressive than anything GSP has done.
          I agree it's very impressive, but one thing that separates GSP from guys like Penn, Liddell, Couture, Hughes is the fact that GSP had to EARN his shot BOTH times to get to the title.

Penn just cuts line and gets shots. He's never cleaned out a division GSP did that on TWO occasions.

How is that not impressive? And how is it not impressive that GSP managed to beat BJ twice?

I just don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            gsp is just too damn big.

gsp comes in the ring at light heavyweight.
            lol. c'mon. you can't be serious about the LHW comment.

and GSP didn't just over power penn on the ground with his strength, he dominated penn in the standup as well. he was making penn look really bad with his striking.
            Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            whenever bj puts on weight........it's NEVER muscle.

155 is his best. bj is only 5'8.

think of it in boxing terms. welterweight in mma is 170.

how many light heavyweights in boxing is 5'8? not much......
            tua stop crunching numbers

you know penn is 5'9 and GSP is 5'10

still luv you though
            Last edited by -Swizzy-; 12-16-2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post

and GSP didn't just over power penn on the ground with his strength, he dominated penn in striking as well. he was making penn look really bad with his striking.
              That's when Penn was already fatigued from defending the takedowns of GSP.

Hey, props to GSP, but, no way in hell does GSP have better boxing than Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by NYU Alum. View Post

Boxing, he has GSP beat, but overall stand-up. GSP is better.

GSP has range, better kicks, better footwork and mixed his strikes up better. Last Saturday was the first time I've seen BJ throw a kick in years. Ironically it was what ended the fight. LOL

Comment

and GSP didn't just over power penn on the ground with his strength, he dominated penn in the standup as well. he was making penn look really bad with his striking.

tua stop crunching numbers

you know penn is 5'9 and GSP is 5'10

still luv you though
                  bj penn had on platform shoes when they measured him in reality he's only 5'3 and he wears weighted clothes..he really walks around at 135 lbs so hes always undersized..its just amazing how he keeps on winning

Comment

Originally posted by NYU Alum. View Post

why is that an impossiblity? GSP has been training in boxing for over 12 years now and he is a black belt in karate. his striking is just as good if not better than Penn's.

Comment

why is that an impossiblity? GSP has been training in boxing for over 12 years now and he is a black belt in karate. his striking is just as good if not better than Penn's.
                      I still think, even as a big GSP fan, that Penn has better boxing. His jab, his head movement.... he has very solid boxing fundamentals. In my opinion he has the best boxing in the sport.

But GSP is the better striker overall.

Comment

Working...
                      X