Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colby Covington rates UFC 296 performance, blames Leon Edwards loss on judges’ bias

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colby Covington rates UFC 296 performance, blames Leon Edwards loss on judges’ bias

Colby Covington admitted he had an off night at UFC 296, but he also blamed judges for not awarding him a win over Leon Edwards.

Covington reacted with shock when Edwards was declared the winner of Saturday’s pay-per-view via unanimous 49-46 scores. Despite his performance, he chalked up his third title loss to bias from officials.

“I thought the third, fourth and fifth round were mine,” Covington said at the post-fight press conference for UFC 296. “The fifth was mine, easily. ... He didn’t put any damage on me. He got a couple of low kicks, but then I started checking them at the end, so I thought I had the win and did enough, but the judges never favor me. They hate me because I support Trump, and everybody hates Trump in this building, so it is what it is. Life goes on.”

According to overall UFC stats from the five-round fight, Covington beat Edwards on total strikes, 109 to 65. The two were even on takedowns, each getting two on the board. Edwards beat Covington in significant strikes, however, landing 57 to Covington’s 44.

The fight’s judges, veteran officials Derek Cleary, Sal D’Amato and Chris Lee, issued a rare unanimous scorecard, awarding Edwards Rounds 1-4 via 10-9 scores and giving Covington the final frame via the same tally.

An indisputable stat on Covington’s performance against Edwards versus his previous fight, a grudge match with ex-training partner Jorge Masvidal that ended in a unanimous decision, was his output. In that fight, he threw 218 strikes to Masvidal’s 90. And of those, he landed 94 significant strikes to Masvidal’s 67.

Covington has been known as a volume striker and high-pace competitor in the octagon. But on Saturday, he appeared far more tentative than before, and he attributed the switch to his layoff.

“I would rate my performance a 5 out of 10,” he said. “I can sit here all day and make excuses. I could have zigged when I should have zagged. It was a timing thing, because I was off, but that’s the cloth that I was cut from, so I’m not going to make excuses.”

“I held back a lot in that fight,” he said later. “I don’t even feel like I was in a fight. It feels like I was in practice rounds. I’m a lot better than that, and I’m still 35 years young, and my best is yet to come.”

Between bouts of political speak and praise toward former President Donald Trump, Covington struck an optimistic tone despite his third title setback. He also set his sights on his next rival, UFC 296 main card competitor Stephen Thompson, who was submitted by Shavhkat Rakhmonov earlier in the night.

Asked whether he’d like to face the undefeated Rakhmonov, Covington said the matchup made no sense. But Thompson was an attractive target.

“There’s a guy that’s been talking a lot of s*** to me in the media: Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson,” Covington said. “Everybody thinks he’s a nice guy, but he’s had a lot to say about me, so I’d love to see him say that to me in the octagon.

“He was just saying some stuff before the fight - ‘Oh, he’s going to get his jaw broke,’ this and that. He’s always talking s***, throwing shade. So I’d love to see him say it to my face. He’s always got things to say to you guys in the media, but I’ve never seen him come up to me, face to face.”

Expected this kind of childish excuse making given who he has cucked himself in fealty to.
    PacCobra PacCobra likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      Expected this kind of childish excuse making given who he has cucked himself in fealty to.
      Very difficult fight to take, against the top guy, on nearly 2 years out. Should have taken a tuneup, or two.

Comment

He's a worthless clown.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

Very difficult fight to take, against the top guy, on nearly 2 years out. Should have taken a tuneup, or two.
          He went with the low hanging fruit to promote the fight. Then the presser was just disgusting mentioning his father who he knew got murdered.

He knew he was going to lose but wanted to boost sales so he has viable options after.
          Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-22-2023, 05:25 AM.

Comment

One of the most embarrassing performances in history.

Comment

Honestly I disagree with sucker punches 99.9999% of the time, but it would be funny if it happened to him again.

Comment

cant pull the trigger... signs of him slowing down.. happens to all of them... not a fan of him and his antics... but he's actually a cool guy outside of the UFC... this is just an act he puts on for the UFC.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

He went with the lie hanging fruit to promote the fight. Then the presser was just disgusting mentioning his father who he knew got murdered.

He knew he was going to lose but wanted to boost sales so he has viable options after.
                  Reminds me of Mayorga, who told Spinks he would send him to meet his father
                  The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

First off, Colby wasnt deserving of a championship fight.

The fact that people were so surprised by how bad it turned out says a lot about actual fans of the sports vs casuals.

Finally, Loen is just as much to blame. The guy couldn't end a shot fighter and finished the fight on his back!

Comment

Working...
                    X