Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you plan on keeping your hispanic roots with your children?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is crazy. I worked with this Asian girl who lived here for 10 years and she already considered herself an American.

I'm going to get a lot of hate but me don't care! Alll of y'all are in America not in Latin America. You guys don't live in Mexico, Cuba, or wherever you guys are from.

It's a damn shame that there are too many Latinos that are ashamed of their Hispanic culture. We have all seen them. It ain't cool kissing the white man's ass like all these sellouts do but some of you are saying let's stick with our own kind, wtf is wrong with yáll?

Wouldn't it had been easier to keep the heritage alive 100% if yáll would have remain in your native countries?

USA is a diverse country. Some of you need to learn that.

I understand that it is frustrating for many of you to see Latino parents not teaching their kids a second language, well, let the truth be told. That will be their problem and not ours. If they want their kids to speak one language because they think their kids will look more American-so be it!

& to that dude that decided not to teach his kids Spanish because he doesn't think it's important. Well, there's a very popular singer who is half Boricua and half Dominican who learned Spanish because his mother taught him. He's from the Bronx and right now he and his group are the most popular in their genre.

I'm talking about Aventura. If it wasn't for Anthony's mother he would have never become so famous among Latin Americans. Aventura is a big success.
    Last edited by Kelly Robinson; 01-31-2010, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Texanballer View Post
      **** it makes me sick today all the hispanics who have lost their heritage. They are all pretty much white americans in my eyes.

It isnt all their fault. A lot of the blame goes on the parents. They dont teach the kids spanish. It is even worse you got like Kyle Gonzalez and Hank Gomez.

I will name my kid a hispanic first name. No johns or matts. And i will make sure they speak spanish.
      Well, to be honest, i dont consider myself hispanic, that was a name thrown on us by the Nixon administration and quite frankly disgusts me.
      I'm Chicano, born in the U.S. mis jefitos are from Mexico. I taught my sons(12 & 9 )spanish as a 1st language, they are fluent in both English and Spanish and ****, even sign language. I teach them everything from our indio roots to our prosperity in America, as well as the racism by the pinche gueros and the mexicanos as well (since we are indio)......Our culture lives on through my kids.....
      Last edited by mrlopez; 02-02-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Now more then ever it is a hard choice for parents. I work with hispanice parents who complain almost all the time the stress it is to prepare their children for school and to make sure that they can speak both the english and spanish language. Schools somewhat make it easier for hispanics with esl classes etc. but that is for the children that are coming directly off the boat or already can speak. What about the 3-5 year olds who are just getting into school learning the language that is spoken at home and then are just thrown into english. Very difficult and time consuming to have to render your child to that kind of broadened horizon! In my opinion you should teach your children your variation of spanish and english as much as possible, as well continue to remain in your culture, your beliefs, religions etc and pass that onto them as well. Cooking and such is not going to help them with their heritage except if you are training a culinary student for the future or unless they are of average age to actually absorb what you are doing and showing them. A close friend of mine who is puerto rican and dominican mixed cooks almost everyday and almost everytime she is in that kitchen (and when she is cleaning) she plays salsa and other spanish musics. Her children fly to puerto rico where she was born regularly to visit family and have a taste of life on the island visit el morro etc.

Comment

Raising him in DR

Comment

No quinceaneras thats for sure

Comment

Originally posted by The Underboss View Post
              exactly...

it's sickening what these fucking americanized sell-out hispanics are doing, thinking white people will give a fuck about them if they become ''americanized''...well...THEY DON'T!

They still view them as dirty 3rd world spics, and will NEVER consider them part of America, so i don't understand why they keep teaching their kids English only, like it's going to help anything .
              reported for racism

Comment

Originally posted by Erik18 View Post
                reported for racism
                racism? it's a fact.

Comment

Who cares really? As long as my lawn is mowed, I don't give a fcuk. This was my mother's peoples land before all of you came over here and tainted it. lmao j/k

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                    me personally.

my child is half persian / rican.

i speak strictly spanish in the house (my wife farsi), we celebrate like hispanics do (overtly to obnoxious), i'll institute the "bendicion" upon entering and exiting the house, salsa music saturday morning on XM (awesome mixes).

this is all i have for now, more would be welcome.
                    Just out of curiousity, I know most of the iranian in America that come from rich and high class family mainly from the time of the Shah. But are there numbers of Iranian that work in a tire shop?

For hispanic is less critcal than arabic langauge. Because the arabic language is also part of religion which makes it much more critical to learn it very well to have a better understanding of the arabic language.

Sometimes people come from all over the place to America because they dont have much at there home. But they never went there to forgot who they are. Hispanic or Latino culture is very family oriented based culture while American are not that much on an average white American standard. There rules and prinple that come from television is viewed as normal while it is very odd some of the stuff they do.

I think kids are more into television culture than any other American culture. The tube will just steal kids mind and control them to what ever culture that comes from it.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                      Who cares really? As long as my lawn is mowed, I don't give a fcuk. This was my mother's peoples land before all of you came over here and tainted it. lmao j/k
                      are you native american?

Comment

Working...
                      X