No announcement yet.

Happy Brexit day.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by //// View Post
    Trump & Boris aside (because neither is remotely right wing by any sane standard & both would be weirdo hippies in a truly "centrist" country like Japan), right-populism is a natural/inevitable part of the rise and fall of civilizations. It will continue to grow but it won't "succeed". It's in it's earliest stages right now.

Europeans will eventually exist as minority separatist communities not unlike the Kurds, Maronites, Jews, etc became after the mass Afro-Arabization of the Middle East. Thus the right-populism movement will fail to save Europe. But in the meantime it will still grow as the desire to do something/anything grows and the situation becomes more desperate.

You're interpreting it very incorrectly: As a leftist you may view politics as an issue of who can provide you with the most "attractive" short-term future (probably in the form of faux-unity, one-time handouts/subsidiaries, etc). If right-populists were operating on this paradigm at all, then they wouldn't exist; they would also become leftists and pay close attention to the mass appeal of their ideology/candidate. The left forever dominates conventional short-term election incentivization. Right-populists are perfectly willing to make sacrifices in exchange for long-term survivalistic goals & they grow suspicious when no sacrifice is required or when one of their leaders is too universally liked.
    The whole left right thing can be confused I agree. But I’m not left per say and have voted Conservatives whom were centre right at the times. But I’m a realist and vote for the parties offering the most sensible centre ground policies. Labour were a little too left with Corbyn but I still like many found Boris and the current conservatives too right. They have drifted right and many even in or whom have left the party would agree. Boris has made many a racist slur of Muslims and gays, and I’d hardly describe Trump as liberal, tolerant and centrist. He’s also sexist and makes dubious nationalistic and borderline xenophobic slurs.

I’m fortunate enough to be financially stable ish. But I realise the under reported stats that the UK has one of the worst and growing gap between the rich and the poor, and a Conservative government worsening it with austerity and blaming foreigners, wanting to avoid tax evasion rules and worsen workers rights. All in the name of ‘our country, we need more control’. And many see right through it. In fact the majority of voters some 52+% voted for parties wanting a final public say on Brexit. Meanwhile the Conservatives can run amock with 45% of the vote. Most European countries have got it right, they are tolerant, realise they are better off when cooperating, have pretty healthy economies whilst giving a crap about the poor still.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris Silver View Post
      The whole left right thing can be confused I agree. But I’m not left per say and have voted Conservatives whom were centre right at the times. But I’m a realist and vote for the parties offering the most sensible centre ground policies. Labour were a little too left with Corbyn but I still like many found Boris and the current conservatives too right. They have drifted right and many even in or whom have left the party would agree. Boris has made many a racist slur of Muslims and gays, and I’d hardly describe Trump as liberal, tolerant and centrist. He’s also sexist and makes dubious nationalistic and borderline xenophobic slurs.

I’m fortunate enough to be financially stable ish. But I realise the under reported stats that the UK has one of the worst and growing gap between the rich and the poor, and a Conservative government worsening it with austerity and blaming foreigners, wanting to avoid tax evasion rules and worsen workers rights. All in the name of ‘our country, we need more control’. And many see right through it. In fact the majority of voters some 52+% voted for parties wanting a final public say on Brexit. Meanwhile the Conservatives can run amock with 45% of the vote. Most European countries have got it right, they are tolerant, realise they are better off when cooperating, have pretty healthy economies whilst giving a crap about the poor still.
      As usual so many blatant exaggerations.. MANY racist slurs? from Boris it's absolute rubbish.. Some off color remarks in the past yes.

Across Europe nationalism is on the rise and European countries have healthy economies compared to what exactly???

Oh and the 52% voted for parties for "non leave parties/2nd referendum". Well we often hear how much smarter remainers are.. Yes so smart that they split the vote between lib dems/labour. and then try to claim victory truly grasping at straws..

Comment

Originally posted by MOTHERDUCKER View Post
        As usual so many blatant exaggerations.. MANY racist slurs? from Boris it's absolute rubbish.. Some off color remarks in the past yes.

Across Europe nationalism is on the rise and European countries have healthy economies compared to what exactly???

Oh and the 52% voted for parties for "non leave parties/2nd referendum". Well we often hear how much smarter remainers are.. Yes so smart that they split the vote between lib dems/labour. and then try to claim victory truly grasping at straws..
        In his 2001 book "Friends, Voters, Countrymen," Johnson compared gay marriage to bestiality, writing that "If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog."

Writing in the Telegraph in 2002, Johnson referred to a visit to Africa by the then prime minister Tony Blair.
        "What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies," he wrote, referring to African people as having "watermelon smiles."

There was even more explicit ****phobia. As Business Insider previously revealed, in a 1998 Telegraph column about Peter Mandelson's resignation from the Labour government, Johnson said the announcement would lead to the blubbing of "tank-topped bumboys" in "the Ministry of Sound" nightclub, and "the soft-lit Soho drinking clubs frequented by Mandy and his pals."

Boris Johnson was last year reported to the Equalities Commission after comparing Muslim women who wear burqas to "letter boxes" and bank robbers.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bori...ninnies-2019-6

Orientals ... have larger brains and higher IQ scores. Blacks are at the other pole.

https://www.indy100.com/article/bori...-worst-8968411

Comment

Comment

Business owner who claimed Brexit would make Britain thrive loses his business, all his money and blames Brexit. Does it get any better?

Motorbike firm which said UK would thrive outside of EU goes into administration

Jonathon Read
            4-5 minutes

PUBLISHED: 14:20 03 February 2020 | UPDATED: 14:20 03 February 2020

A firm which once claimed that UK was better prepared for Brexit than the 'media has us believe' has gone into administration in the same week the UK left the European Union.

In September 2018 Norton Motorcycles owner Stuart Garner claimed he had no fears about Brexit, and said that it would be a "huge opportunity" to negotiate trade deals around the globe.

He claimed that the UK was better prepared for Brexit than the media would have us believe.

"It's what the country voted for so let's get on with it," he told the Leicester Mercury.

Commenting on the future for his iconic British business, he said: "I believe we will thrive outside the EU. There may be some short-term speed bumps but we'll come out of it stronger.

"We're a strong-willed nation and will make it succeed."

He added: "And I don't buy the media line that we are unprepared for Brexit."

A year ago, Stephen Barclay, the outgoing Brexit Secretary, said Norton was an example of a "great business" that would thrive when Britain leaves the EU.

However less than two years later, in the same week the UK was to leave the European Union, the firm has gone into administration after reportedly struggling to pay a tax bill. The owner also blamed Brexit uncertainty.

The Guardian also reported the firm's owner was facing issues over employee pension schemes and questions about government-backed grants and loans.

Garner released a statement after the news was reported. He said: "I'm devastated at the events over the last 24 hours and personally have lost everything. However, my thoughts are with the Norton team and everyone involved, from customers, suppliers and shareholders at this truly difficult time.

"Without dialogue Metro Bank appointed BDO administrators yesterday. We are now working positively and proactively with BDO to ensure Norton has the best possible chance to find a buyer. It has become increasingly difficult to manufacture in the UK, with a growing tax burden and ongoing uncertainties over Brexit affecting many things like, tariffs, exports and availability of funding."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...tion-1-6496163
            Last edited by COVID-19; 02-04-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Impeacher View Post
              The scaremongering doesn't work. A bad trade deal hurts the EU too, a good one benefits both.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                The scaremongering doesn't work. A bad trade deal hurts the EU too, a good one benefits both.

Do you think a deal that is favourable to the EU will really be favourable to the UK?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X