No announcement yet.

So do you believe in God or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    No i’ve never wondered that, because a planet has to be in the goldilocks zone in order for it to be habitable. Astronomy 101 is probably the best class I took in college and honestly once you take that class and really apply yourself you’ll know what it takes for a planet to sustain life. Earth is the only planet in our solar system that is in the goldilocks zone. There are other planets which in other star systems that we can see are in habitable zones but out telescopes are still limited, we can only observe planets’ light, movement, and orbit but we can’t see planets in details like we can see Mars, Venus, Saturn, etc.
    For humans the Goldilocks address is a must. We can't think of life in outer space as being carbon based. We have to think outside of the box.

Unless they are invisible and don't give off any heat or make any sound.....they don't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
      I am an angry white male making the middle age transition into a grumpy old man. It's a dangerous mixture
      lol. story of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
        For humans the Goldilocks address is a must. We can't think of life in outer space as being carbon based. We have to think outside of the box.

Unless they are invisible and don't give off any heat or make any sound.....they don't exist.
        I feel like you’re trolling.

First you say “we can’t think of life in outer space as being...”. So we CAN think life in outer space, but just that we have to have rules as to what life can be out there?

Then you say we have to think outside the box.

Then turn around and say life outside of Earth doesn’t exist, the complete opposite of thinking outside the box. That’s actually very close minded.

So i’m not sure exactly where you stand on the topic of life outside of Earth. It sounds to me like you do think there’s life out there, but kinda catch yourself midway, and remember that you have to follow the views of a religion but forget to backspace so your posts look like a mixed view. So do you have a mixed view of life outside of Earth?

Comment

I feel like you’re trolling.

First you say “we can’t think of life in outer space as being...”. So we CAN think life in outer space, but just that we have to have rules as to what life can be out there?

Then you say we have to think outside the box.

Then turn around and say life outside of Earth doesn’t exist, the complete opposite of thinking outside the box. That’s actually very close minded.

So i’m not sure exactly where you stand on the topic of life outside of Earth. It sounds to me like you do think there’s life out there, but kinda catch yourself midway, and remember that you have to follow the views of a religion but forget to backspace so your posts look like a mixed view. So do you have a mixed view of life outside of Earth?
          I'm actually trying to help your side....By limiting the type of life form to be found, that is easily eliminated. So, I figured maybe ETs aren't built like us and can thrive in places us carbon based beings can't.

Either way, we are it.

Comment

I'm actually trying to help your side....By limiting the type of life form to be found, that is easily eliminated. So, I figured maybe ETs aren't built like us and can thrive in places us carbon based beings can't.

Either way, we are it.
            Do you not feel that you are being close minded by saying we are it?

And do you own a backyard?

If so, can you look outside the window right now, and see life? (Other than any domestic animals).

If not, do you think maybe you can see life if you looked closer? Maybe you can find worms, insects, etc., if you go outside to your backyard and get a closer look in the grass, right? But as long as you stay indoors, trying to see from your window, you probably won’t see any signs of life in your grass. Especially in the night time.

With that in mind, how can we find life by viewing space with our relatively limited telescopes? We are unable to go outside and take a closer look like we can go out in our own backyard.

Comment

Do you not feel that you are being close minded by saying we are it?

And do you own a backyard?

If so, can you look outside the window right now, and see life? (Other than any domestic animals).

If not, do you think maybe you can see life if you looked closer? Maybe you can find worms, insects, etc., if you go outside to your backyard and get a closer look in the grass, right? But as long as you stay indoors, trying to see from your window, you probably won’t see any signs of life in your grass. Especially in the night time.

With that in mind, how can we find life by viewing space with our relatively limited telescopes? We are unable to go outside and take a closer look like we can go out in our own backyard.
              To be ''open minded'' may cause me to be a science fiction novelist. I'm logical. I don't believe ET's have to be places we can't go. There is more than enough space for us to go to (send probes) that should bump into some kind of life. It's a weak plot device for them to be just out of reach.

I don't think I can add anything new to this debate other than ask a question ......

Why must there ET's out there ?????

Comment

I remember walking round the Parthenon a few years back and reading signs about how many people died while building it and various acts of self sacrifice people made to the goddess Athena. Millions more dedicated their entire lives to the 9 gods, wars were fought in their names, temples were built and destroyed in their honour and now? Nobody believes in them anymore, all the priests and believers dedicated such large portions of their lives to something we don't even think possible now. There is nothing to suggest the current religions will not go the very same way. Perhaps in 2 thousand years the idea of any of our religions and prophets, will be the same way as the greek gods.

Now having said all that, I didn't vote because the choices don't really represent how I feel about it. There is a beauty in the world and in the universe that seems to transcend the idea of pure mathematical chance and of course where tf everything originally came from? I mean that question alone is just so impossibly large and unfathomable.

What was there before the universe? Just an empty black space? Or did this universe replace the one before that and how long has this cycle been repeating?

The mind boggles

Comment

To be ''open minded'' may cause me to be a science fiction novelist. I'm logical. I don't believe ET's have to be places we can't go. There is more than enough space for us to go to (send probes) that should bump into some kind of life. It's a weak plot device for them to be just out of reach.

I don't think I can add anything new to this debate other than ask a question ......

Why must there ET's out there ?????
                  You give NASA a lot of credit. We can’t send probes for as long and far as you think. You said something about if you were open minded you would have to be a science fiction novelist, but thinking we can send a probe to look for life is as sci fi as it gets. If we happen to send a probe looking for life right now, it would take too long to get to the nearest star system that has habitable planets. The Voyager 1 is the farthest man-made object and it no longer takes images.

Comment

You give NASA a lot of credit. We can’t send probes for as long and far as you think. You said something about if you were open minded you would have to be a science fiction novelist, but thinking we can send a probe to look for life is as sci fi as it gets. If we happen to send a probe looking for life right now, it would take too long to get to the nearest star system that has habitable planets. The Voyager 1 is the farthest man-made object and it no longer takes images.
                    The Drake Equation: What Are the Odds That Aliens Exist?
                    https://www.discovermagazine.com/the...t-aliens-exist

Again, this is dependent on ET's needing what HUMANS would need to thrive. Obviously ET's would need a solid planet (or can they live in gaseous planets IE The Giants ?).

Maybe ET's can live in stars (radiation and extreme heat is to them what water and oxygen is for us) ?
                    Maybe they live beneath the surface of planets (including our own) ?
                    Maybe they travel from one dimension to others ?

Or, maybe they only exist in fiction, which is my pov. I know for a fact we will all die not knowing for certain.
                    Last edited by Curtis Harper; 01-12-2020, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Why would God make all of those planets and galaxies if there aren't any life out there ????

To give us humans something to do.....

Comment

Working...
                      X