Collapse
No announcement yet.

So do you believe in God or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe there is a god. I also think there’s more to dying than meets the eye. Maybe not this fairy tale/paradise that most people think there is, but something more. I don’t know, maybe I’m just effin high...

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
      Do you not feel that you are being close minded by saying we are it?

And do you own a backyard?

If so, can you look outside the window right now, and see life? (Other than any domestic animals).

If not, do you think maybe you can see life if you looked closer? Maybe you can find worms, insects, etc., if you go outside to your backyard and get a closer look in the grass, right? But as long as you stay indoors, trying to see from your window, you probably won’t see any signs of life in your grass. Especially in the night time.

With that in mind, how can we find life by viewing space with our relatively limited telescopes? We are unable to go outside and take a closer look like we can go out in our own backyard.

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
      To be ''open minded'' may cause me to be a science fiction novelist. I'm logical. I don't believe ET's have to be places we can't go. There is more than enough space for us to go to (send probes) that should bump into some kind of life. It's a weak plot device for them to be just out of reach.

I don't think I can add anything new to this debate other than ask a question ......

Why must there ET's out there ?????
      Kevs point about our limited technology is important.
      Looking through telescopes is a very poor way at finding life.

We have only visited the moon, put some rovers on Mars, and sent out a few probes.
      If there is all types of life on other distant planets, i dont know how we could possibly know at this time.
      Not all life gives out signs we can currently detect.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
        Kevs point about our limited technology is important.
        Looking through telescopes is a very poor way at finding life.

We have only visited the moon, put some rovers on Mars, and sent out a few probes.
        If there is all types of life on other distant planets, i dont know how we could possibly know at this time.
        Not all life gives out signs we can currently detect.
        Our tech is good enough and I'm guessing the ET's are better ?

We will not be alive if there happens to be a big reveal

Comment

Our tech is good enough
          I dont think so. Not yet.

The farthest planet we have discovered is only 13,000 light years away.

But our galaxy is 100,000 light years across.

And there are 100 billion other galaxies we have found.

There is a chance Jupiters moon Europa could have life in its water. But we dont have the technology to detect it.
          And Europa is practically right next to us.

Comment

Most of the world does so why shouldn't i ?

Comment

There is a chance Jupiters moon Europa could have life in its water. But we dont have the technology to detect it.
              Why do we think ETs (bold), if they exist, would have the same biology as us ? It's all so very convenient.
              Too far, No water, Not enough tech.....

Comment

When I was younger I thought I knew everything. I knew that God was a lie. I knew that people who believed were desperate, judgmental, ignorant suckers and the priests were power-hungry shills preying on the ignorant.

Now I'm a bit older and a wiser and I don't really believe that anymore. I'm Catholic, I'll lean into that until I go into the ground. But my spirituality, and I'd be so bold as to say all spirituality, is the pursuit of self-truth. It's internal. It has nothing to do with science or facts or the history of the universe. Religion is merely the vehicle to know ones self on the highest level.

When I see people on the extremes of either position, be it either the church pursuing the most literal, draconian dogma on one end or atheists who seek to "disprove" religion with the general facts of the universe... I see those people as blind. Utterly missing the point of religion, the same way someone with an MENSA-level IQ might have no success in work or relationships because they have no emotional intelligence.

Comment

Why do we think ETs (bold), if they exist, would have the same biology as us ? It's all so very convenient.
                  Too far, No water, Not enough tech.....
                  Well, you did say we do have the tech. Im not sure why.

Technology evolves over time. I dont see how not having the technology to fly around the universe right now is convenient. Im not sure what you mean by "convenient".

I dont think anyone thinks ET's have the same biology as us. But since life emerged out of our oceans, it makes sense to look at other planets with water.

But really, we have explored a tiny fraction of just our galaxy. And still havent set foot on any other planet. So deciding there is no life because we havent found it yet is like deciding there are no dinosaurs because we havent found a t-rex fossil in our backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                    When you get there, you find it's 72 BoxingScene posters.
                    lol, yeah, then its 72 horny male virgins, but at least they all have small d1cks

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post

Or it could be just one guy with 72 alts
                    Comparing the complexity of the universe to man-made technology doesnt convince me of a God personally.

Incredible complexity can arise through very simple processes.
                    It doesnt have to be created by an intelligent mind.

All organisms are very complex but are they all designed by a God?

It doesnt make sense to me that nature is designed.
                    Was mass extinctions and cancer part of the design?
                    maybe not part of design but an unfortunate consequence. we see from the laws of physics that chaos and disorder is increasing as matter and energy breaks down

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    And honestly that's normal.

The Bible/belief in god can be compared to the belief in Professional Wrestling in a way. There's a ton of adults that love wrestling, knowing it's scripted, but they also know that the injuries in wrestling can be real, so they still defend wrestling and will argue that sure it's scripted, but it's not exactly "fake" because physical injuries happen by mistake. There are even more kids that love wrestling, and even believe it's real, everything about it. But as these kids grow up, they realize it's all "fake", and they kinda grow out of it and stop watching it.

Some kids feel like they were lied to about god/bible and they learn this themselves through experience and common sense at a variety of ages.

I will say this though, as a non-believer, I think you're life would be better as a believer. But only if you actually behave in good faith at all times, in every situation, and you really do look out for other people no matter what, and want good health, good wealth, and want everyone to live in prosperity. And that is not the life that many believers lead unfortunately, so they are nothing but fakes. A lot of believers, I feel are nothing but fakes and their behavior does not align with what they preach. But no worries, they're not going to hell when they die, they're not going to heaven either, they aren't going any where and they know it...which is why they have so much hatred for other people.
                    we have to realize that even if we are real believers, there is a big possibility that all the rewards for true faith may only come after our life is done. there is a long explanation for this but this thread is not the place for that. i'm thinking something along the lines of an eternal, all powerful God would be operating on a completely different set of rules than would you or i.

Originally posted by paulf View Post
                    When I was younger I thought I knew everything. I knew that God was a lie. I knew that people who believed were desperate, judgmental, ignorant suckers and the priests were power-hungry shills preying on the ignorant.

Now I'm a bit older and a wiser and I don't really believe that anymore. I'm Catholic, I'll lean into that until I go into the ground. But my spirituality, and I'd be so bold as to say all spirituality, is the pursuit of self-truth. It's internal. It has nothing to do with science or facts or the history of the universe. Religion is merely the vehicle to know ones self on the highest level.

When I see people on the extremes of either position, be it either the church pursuing the most literal, draconian dogma on one end or atheists who seek to "disprove" religion with the general facts of the universe... I see those people as blind. Utterly missing the point of religion, the same way someone with an MENSA-level IQ might have no success in work or relationships because they have no emotional intelligence.
                    this is a really good observation ^

Comment

https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/why...Why_We_27.html

you might like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X