Collapse
No announcement yet.

the Official "My Hood has the highest homicide Rate" thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember living in NYC when there were 2,500 murders per year, and so much daily violent crime that most wasn't even reported. It was out of control, you had to have eyes all around your head just going to grocery store or coming off the subways. I can't even describe to people who haven't lived it just how crazy it was back then. Lots of close calls. Because of the per 100K per capita stat, NYC wasn't even considered the most dangerous back then despite having the most murders of any city.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      I remember living in NYC when there were 2,500 murders per year, and so much daily violent crime that most wasn't even reported. It was out of control, you had to have eyes all around your head just going to grocery store or coming off the subways. I can't even describe to people who haven't lived it just how crazy it was back then. Lots of close calls. Because of the per 100K per capita stat, NYC wasn't even considered the most dangerous back then despite having the most murders of any city.
      Yes!!! I grew up in those times when New York was so bad that the adults expected to get mugged a few times now and then, and forget about a nice walk in Central Park in the evening. The Subways really did look like a Charles Bronson movie back then.

But I will say this: and this is from the halycon eyes of a kid... At least the muggers, by and large, were professionals. By and large at least... I remember being mugged with my dad on a few occasions lol. My ole man, a Marine from the second word war, would just say "ok son just follow my directions." These muggings were because we took our dog out in the evenings...We would also walk to Yankee Stadium from East Harlem and never have a problem lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
        Its actually great for kids to grow up in a city. Despite the dangers it teaches street smarts, getting along...and there are so many great ways to cause mischief, also the great museums and such...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          Yes!!! I grew up in those times when New York was so bad that the adults expected to get mugged a few times now and then, and forget about a nice walk in Central Park in the evening. The Subways really did look like a Charles Bronson movie back then.

But I will say this: and this is from the halycon eyes of a kid... At least the muggers, by and large, were professionals. By and large at least... I remember being mugged with my dad on a few occasions lol. My ole man, a Marine from the second word war, would just say "ok son just follow my directions." These muggings were because we took our dog out in the evenings...We would also walk to Yankee Stadium from East Harlem and never have a problem lol.
          The worst of the violent crime back then was committed by teenagers between 15-18. They had no regard for human life. Merciless. They would shoot you just for laughs. I got caught slippin' one time, I entered a subway station that had been closed, but the lock was busted and there I was in a desolate station with a guy who had the jump on me when I was coming up the stairs. He had a straight edge razor close to my face but he was calm. Just a 30-something year old junkie who needed a fix. Back then, New Yorkers carried "mug me" money in a separate pocket. That way, when/if you got robbed you had something to give them, or else they got pissed. So I handed him a $20 and he took off running. Oddly, I never felt threatened or in any danger in that situation. Now, had that been some 16 year old with a .380 auto, I would have been plugged and left for dead, no doubt in my mind.

I have been shot at several times and I watched my best friend take on in the back right in front of me, all for nothing. I returned some of that on a few occasions myself, and was fortunate not to get caught. Lots of close calls and war stories to tell. But honestly, cops back then didn't give two shyts, it was Dodge City and you were on your own.

Comment

The worst of the violent crime back then was committed by teenagers between 15-18. They had no regard for human life. Merciless. They would shoot you just for laughs. I got caught slippin' one time, I entered a subway station that had been closed, but the lock was busted and there I was in a desolate station with a guy who had the jump on me when I was coming up the stairs. He had a straight edge razor close to my face but he was calm. Just a 30-something year old junkie who needed a fix. Back then, New Yorkers carried "mug me" money in a separate pocket. That way, when/if you got robbed you had something to give them, or else they got pissed. So I handed him a $20 and he took off running. Oddly, I never felt threatened or in any danger in that situation. Now, had that been some 16 year old with a .380 auto, I would have been plugged and left for dead, no doubt in my mind.

I have been shot at several times and I watched my best friend take on in the back right in front of me, all for nothing. I returned some of that on a few occasions myself, and was fortunate not to get caught. Lots of close calls and war stories to tell. But honestly, cops back then didn't give two shyts, it was Dodge City and you were on your own.
            I remember the "Mug MOney" strategy, along with the "ill leave the car unlocked so they don't break the window" strategy. In my area you had shootings, but it was more with baseball bats, black jacks and knives...everyone carried a blade, do you remember per chance the "007" blade one could purchase in any Bodega?

I hear you, we had people that were shot, one friend paralyzed, etc. I rode the subways alot and was very lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              I remember the "Mug MOney" strategy, along with the "ill leave the car unlocked so they don't break the window" strategy. In my area you had shootings, but it was more with baseball bats, black jacks and knives...everyone carried a blade, do you remember per chance the "007" blade one could purchase in any Bodega?

I hear you, we had people that were shot, one friend paralyzed, etc. I rode the subways alot and was very lucky.
              Ha, I had one of those 007 knives! I always carried a blade since I was a kid. Got caught with one of those 007s in high school, they took it away and I bought another, I think they were about $10. Saved my hide a few times. Carried a chain with padlock in my backpack for a time too. Later it was a snubbie when things got out of control my last couple of years in the city. I saw one of those 007 knives at a flea market recently, what cheap junk that was, but back then it served it's purpose. One of my friends had an even cheaper knockoff of the 007 and as suspected, the lock failed and closed on his fingers, nasty.

Comment

Salem's actually calmed down over the last few years. It was hectic as hell back in the mid 2000's. Fun times though, the club and bar scene was really poppin. Not like now where you see more than half the people buried in their phones and chicks doing a million selfies.

Comment

Ha, I had one of those 007 knives! I always carried a blade since I was a kid. Got caught with one of those 007s in high school, they took it away and I bought another, I think they were about $10. Saved my hide a few times. Carried a chain with padlock in my backpack for a time too. Later it was a snubbie when things got out of control my last couple of years in the city. I saw one of those 007 knives at a flea market recently, what cheap junk that was, but back then it served it's purpose. One of my friends had an even cheaper knockoff of the 007 and as suspected, the lock failed and closed on his fingers, nasty.
                  the 007 was big... And thats about the best one could say about it. Made a large sound and looked scary.

We would put a lock in a sock, but there were plenty of blackjacks around back then. My first piece was a 25. Small lol. But was easy to conceal.

Comment

What's a good, accurate and reliable website to check that out?

I live in a pretty good neighborhood in Columbus, OH right now, imo. Property crime is high, violent crime is low according to multiple websites.

Comment

Originally posted by .WesternChamp. View Post
                      these places yall speak of, aint consider "hood".. them places is just dirty and ghetto. there's a difference. like when east coasters compare their "hoods" to LA and make comments like LA is so nice and clean. well, that's because yall places is consider ghetto, not hoods.
                      Those places suffer from socio-economic issues.

On the other hand, those mass murderers who increase their towns murder rate, by shooting up churches, theaters, schools, and even video game events, come from very nice, upper middle class to upper class neighborhoods.

Comment

Working...
                      X