Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding games on penalty shots is b.s.. The should play until players start dying.

Comment

• Originally posted by ****s on Brits View Post
      Tiki taka at it's apex was skillful and fun to watch. I hope it doesn't go away.
      I see his point though 80% possession and hardly any chances created against most teams and then b1tch about the other team being too defensive

Comment

• Originally posted by hayZ View Post
        Yes and no.

Tiki Taka was BEAUTIFUL when teams actually turned up the aggression i.e. like Barca under Pep or even Spain when they were on their brilliant run to a lesser degree.

The movement off the ball is something I've noticed a lot of teams this World Cup are lacking.

The way it was utilised by this Spain team was pretty boring to be honest. I think it can still work but it's so reliant on having players who are brilliant off the ball and obviously on.

When you have teams who don't know how to press or just sit back, it's boring to watch but teams who press actually make them pick up the tempo of the Tiki Taka and that's when it's so good to watch imo.

Agreed. Anyway it was good to watch when players like Xavi could find a killer ball through the eye of a needle.

This Spanish team essentially just knock the ball from side to side in midfield and defence. Teams find their shape and Spain get nowhere. As good as players like Isco are, they just don't seem to have anyone that can really unlock defences. Look how comfortable teams look v Spain compared to in the past. Teams are wise to it now, they don't even press Spain anymore and get tired leading to mistakes. They just keep their shape and let Spain play in front of them.

The funny thing is, Spain looked more effective in this world cup when they went more direct playing balls up to Diego Costa. They didn't do it enough. Stuck in their way.
        Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-01-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Gegenpressing is what's poppin at this precise moment in time, that just cannot be denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            I see his point though 80% possession and hardly any chances created against most teams and then b1tch about the other team being too defensive
            I still enjoy seeing the constant shifting of players and ball movement.

Although I agree that it was far more exciting when Spain was aggressive with it and attacked more.

Comment

• Lovin' this World Cup. I've watched more games this year than all other years combined. Denmark-Croatia was an awesome match this afternoon! I'm rooting for Croatia to win it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by hayZ View Post
                Yes and no.

Tiki Taka was BEAUTIFUL when teams actually turned up the aggression i.e. like Barca under Pep or even Spain when they were on their brilliant run to a lesser degree.

The movement off the ball is something I've noticed a lot of teams this World Cup are lacking.

The way it was utilised by this Spain team was pretty boring to be honest. I think it can still work but it's so reliant on having players who are brilliant off the ball and obviously on.

When you have teams who don't know how to press or just sit back, it's boring to watch but teams who press actually make them pick up the tempo of the Tiki Taka and that's when it's so good to watch imo.
                At its best I hated it even more.

Barcelona at one point wouldn’t take a corner other than to pass it back, throw-ins taken backwards, cross into the box? Never, long shots? Never. Quick long pass? Nope.

It was football by numbers besides the opposition would willingly, or not, camp deep in their own half so the upshot of which was Barcelona played essentially the same game 60 plus times a season with great success but with the odd disappointment.

Barcelona deserved to be robbed by Chelsea with 10 men more than any result I can think of. For the extravagances of tiki taka that game shows it. Shame Drogba didn’t score from a clearance from 80 metres. That really would have capped it

Comment

• I can't help but wonder what could have been if Spain hadn't sacked their coach on the eve of the tournament. Maybe he would have made some better decisions to get Spain through the Russia match. There's a time and a place for everything, and late into extra time is not the time or place for tikitaka football. When your fist choice goalkeeper isn't playing that well you really don't want penalties. They've only got themselves to blame for the result they got.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
                    I can't help but wonder what could have been if Spain hadn't sacked their coach on the eve of the tournament. Maybe he would have made some better decisions to get Spain through the Russia match. There's a time and a place for everything, and late into extra time is not the time or place for tikitaka football. When your fist choice goalkeeper isn't playing that well you really don't want penalties. They've only got themselves to blame for the result they got.
                    Spain haven't been that great for a while though when it matters. They were garbage in 2014, very average this time around, Poor at Euro 2016.

It's been 6 years since they got past the last 16 of a major tournament, 3 in a row. That's a long time in football. Spain's time as a dominant force in international football is no more. They might get it back but i don't really see any special players coming through. Some very good players, but they had special players during their dominant reign. Even players like Isco, an technically beautiful player on the ball but i don't think he's in that bracket of exceptional players.

Even their strength in depth as a squad isn't there anymore. What impact subs do they have? - Can you imagine Spain of 6-7 years having to bring on someone like Iago Aspas to try and change the game for them? He's a good player but not the calibre of player that they usually had.

Comment

• Tomorrow is probably the biggest game England have played since the Brazil quarter final in '02.

If we win it and we look good in the process then the final becomes a genuine possibility.

I do feel like anyone we could face has a good chance of beating us still. But it's infinitely more doable than any of us would ever have thought a few weeks/months ago.

Nervy.

Comment

Working...
                      X