No announcement yet.

End of Net Neutrality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    I don't think you're understating what I'm saying. They cant just come into cities and start laying fiber. Cities have contracts with existing ISP's that doesn't allow competition. Google has already tried but have only been able to penetrate a few markets. Markets that were occupied by smaller ISP's. A company like Charter/Spectrum & Comcast aren't giving up major cities like Chicago, New York, Philly, & LA. And they have enough money to keep google out and in court for years.

Legally the system isn't set up to accept new ISP's
    What about companies like ATT or TMobile, who give you internet through your phone and allow you to use your phone as a hot spot a make shift router.

Comment

• Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
      ISPs did throttle speeds whenever they felt like it though.
      Did it affect you?

It never did me.

In fact, I'd say my internet tends to run slower since it came into effect, but admittedly, my speed's still pretty good most times.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
        Did it affect you?

It never did me.

In fact, I'd say my internet tends to run slower since it came into effect, but admittedly, my speed's still pretty good most times.
        Yes it did affect me.

It affected tons of consumers.

Speed throttling isn't some myth invented by regulation happy liberals. ISPs were abusing the hell out of it.

Comment

Yes it did affect me.

Speed throttling isn't some myth invented by regulation happy liberals. ISPs were abusing the hell out of it.
          Haha. I'm sure it's not a myth. Exaggerated for the purpose of maintaining a bigger government? I do believe that.

Comment

Haha. I'm sure it's not a myth. Exaggerated for the purpose of maintaining a bigger government? I do believe that.
            Laugh now cry later.

When you can no longer enjoy the internet freely as you please you will remember this warning

Comment

• There’s reason to believe that internet providers will abuse their power absent net-neutrality oversight: They have a history of doing so.

In 2007, Comcast throttled traffic to BitTorrent, a popular peer-to-peer service used (both legally and illegally) to distribute entertainment content in competition with Comcast’s cable business. The FCC ruled the practice illegal in 2008, but its complaint against Comcast was ultimately dismissed due to a lack of regulatory authority to intervene in such cases. In 2012, AT&T blocked FaceTime, Apple’s video-chat service, because it competed with AT&T’s telephony offerings. The company reversed course after the threat of an FCC complaint on net-neutrality grounds. In 2014, Netflix filed an extensive opposition to the Comcast–Time Warner Cable merger, revealing that it had paid for direct access to Comcast broadband customers in consideration for delivery of its bandwidth-intensive streaming service. And in 2016, the FCC flagged AT&T for excluding DirecTV—a unit AT&T owns—from its customers’ data allocation.

To prevent such blocking, throttling, and pay for play in internet content delivery, the FCC published the Open Internet Report and Order in 2015, declaring internet service providers common carriers under Title II of the Communications Act. It is these protections that Ajit Pai—who previously worked for Verizon, a company that could benefit from the change—hopes to withdraw.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                What do you need an article telling you the same exact stuff I'm telling you for?

This battle is between internet providers and large companies who consume a ****load of bandwidth without paying anymore than a tiny company would.

Google, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, etc... are all strongly for net neutrality because that means no matter how much bandwidth they consume they won't have to pay for it anymore than say the JC Penny's website which doesn't generate 1 percent of the same traffic.

Comcast, ATT, Verizon, are strongly against net neutrality because by law they have to charge everyone equally no matter how much bandwidth they consume.

If net neutrality is abolished then big corporations are going to have to cut deals with the internet providers on what sort bandwidth price they're going to get.

If that were to happen then there is no way of knowing exactly how it would affect the general population. People could end up paying less for internet if they don't consume a ****load of data, or they could pick their poison on what apps or services they prefer. It could look like sling of internet or remain unchanged.

I also could see corporations like Google or Amazon eventually becoming their own internet providers, and if you ask me the more competition the better.
                Because who are you to trust your words. What are your credentials? You are just a salesman not even a known researcher just a salesman. Your words mean nothing. Find experts to quote from.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                  What about companies like ATT or TMobile, who give you internet through your phone and allow you to use your phone as a hot spot a make shift router.
                  That is an inferior product and not to be used as a primary source for internet. It's also unstable and capped. The technology isn't there to be used as a full time internet service

Comment

Im not sure what you mean when you say it was exagerated.

Any throttling whatsoever is unacceptable in my opinion.

They didnt reduce the mothly bill when they throttled speeds. If Im paying 100% of my bill, I should get 100% of the service.

Comment

Yes it did affect me.

Yeah, I had an unlimited data plan with AT&T from a long time ago. Then I noticed towards the end of the month that **** would slow down and sometimes just cut off completely.

When I called about it, they told me it was because of "high traffic", which is funny because I never used to have that problem. Then they told me they actually just got rid of unlimited plans and they started to try to get me out of my unlimited plan and onto a capped plan instead.

So yeah, I believe in free market and all but some industries do need some regulations to protect the consumers.

Comment

Working...
                      X