End of Net Neutrality

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BoxingTech718 View Post
    Laugh now cry later.

When you can no longer enjoy the internet freely as you please you will remember this warning
    I enjoyed the web just fine a couple of years ago before this became law. I'm sure I'll be fine once it's not law. Like I said in an earlier post, fear-mongering is what this whole thread is about. The world will move on. I promise.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
      I trust the free market more than I trust big government.
      i have a problem with bloated inefficient government, but thats not the big problem with government, the problem is corruption and corporate power is what corrupts it most....as long as people tolerate corruption legalised or otherwise, the so called free market is just monopolisers screwing over everyone for quick profits watching their money pile grow.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Hyperion- View Post
        i have a problem with bloated inefficient government, but thats not the big problem with government, the problem is corruption and corporate power is what corrupts it most....as long as people tolerate corruption legalised or otherwise, the so called free market is just monopolisers screwing over everyone for quick profits watching their money pile grow.
        What about government corruption that results in monopolies? Like when taxi companies pay City Council members to pass laws banning competitors like Uber and Lyft?

Remember, the government has much more power than the private sector. They pass laws. They can imprison you, and even take your life. The private sector doesn't have that power.

And you can decline to buy products from the private sector if you choose. When government mandates you but products, such as health insurance, you have no choice and can't say No.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
          But it will be, and if you ask me those fiber cables are one step away from being obsolete.

My cheaper friends power everything through their phones when it comes to internet. I must say I did so myself when I was in Jamaica.
          Me my wife and our 3 kids are all on the net on a daily basis. I suspect its the same for most people in the same age groups. Using my cell phone as our primary internet provider isnt anywhere close to being possible.

Comment

• Remember kids: monopolies are good and capitalism is never corrupt.

*paid and sponsored by President Donald J. Trump and his "do-no-
            evil, supergruber" army (only viewable via Comcast)
            Last edited by BM dnobagaV; 11-23-2017, 05:03 PM.

Comment

What about government corruption that results in monopolies? Like when taxi companies pay City Council members to pass laws banning competitors like Uber and LLyft
              These cable companies have done the same thing. That's why this claim of increased competition is ridiculous. These cable companies have cities on lock & new companies can't come in

Comment

• Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
                Me my wife and our 3 kids are all on the net on a daily basis. I suspect its the same for most people in the same age groups. Using my cell phone as our primary internet provider isnt anywhere close to being possible.
                Yes it is, 70% of the time i spend on the internet is on the phone, and 95% of the time spent on the internet by my lady is on the phone. Most of the time in my case I am not even connected to wi-fi.

It makes logical sense to run your internet through your phone, no wires, no routers, no boxes. Not to mention iphone internet from 2008 to now is leaps and bounds ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  These cable companies have done the same thing.
                  Um, no.

The repeal of NN in no way gets the government to pass regulations that forces their competitors to cease operations.

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  That's why this claim of increased competition is ridiculous. These cable companies have cities on lock & new companies can't come in
                  That is completely false, though you're free to try and explain how "new companies can't come in" in relation to repealing NN.

Of course you should be ready to source if asked.

Comment

Um, no.

The repeal of NN in no way gets the government to pass regulations that forces their competitors to cease operations.

That is completely false, though you're free to try and explain how "new companies can't come in" in relation to repealing NN.

Of course you should be ready to source if asked.
                    Because current ISP's have franchise agreements with cities which only allow one cable/broadband provider (2 in rare cases) per city. The infrastructure on the poles & in the ground (telecom, cable, & electric) are owned by the current companies and new companies can't build infrastructure. And in the case of cable providers (the most popular ISP) other companies aren't allowed to lease their infrastructure.

So if new companies can't build their own infrastructure and cant lease the existing infrastructure how are they supposed to penetrate the market?

My "source" is me being in this industry for over 15 years. From premises tech to supervisor to owner
                    Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 11-23-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      Because current ISP's have franchise agreements with cities which only allow one cable/broadband provider (2 in rare cases) per city. The infrastructure on the poles & in the ground (telecom, cable, & electric) are owned by the current companies and new companies can't build infrastructure. And in the case of cable providers (the most popular ISP) other companies aren't allowed to lease their infrastructure.

My "source" is me being in this industry for over 15 years. From premises tech to supervisor to owner
                      'I know and that's good enough' won't cut it. Sorry, but that's how it goes.

You'll need to cite sources we can all read and check for accuracy to determine if the above is true.

Comment

Working...
                      X