Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how insane is America's tipping culture?.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's nice to tip well though, some are very gracious if they remember you and give extra biscuits or free desserts sometimes.

I used to eat at Denny's a lot because food was cheap and I was too lazy or drunk to drive anywhere else, but I always remembered to tip well. Some had really cool waiters and waitresses. Like older, overweight Mexican women who had at least four kids. Some don't speak English all that well and aren't very attractive, but they're very nice and sweet, sometimes flirty. I banged a few of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Sup View Post
      Yeah it sucks. Whenever I order pizza I pretty much go with Dominos cause they have that 2 medium 2 topping pizzas for $5.99 and add wings for $5.99. So $18 plus the delivery fee will probably make it around $21. If I have singles I'll probably give them $24 and call it a day. Sometimes you don't have singles and give them a $5 and you feel guilty asking for change so you just let them have it lol.

Damn $18 order turned into a $25 order just like that.
      Exactly. Aint that some ****. Also, if you encouraging a friend to buy it and he said what's the price, you would probably only mention the $18.

Comment

Stop blaming consumers for the owners not paying their employees correctly. We don't go their to pay the owners wages, we go there to eat.

Comment

most restaurants fail in the first five years. almost all of them fail. if you think the people who own local restaurants are greedy and doing it just to make money you are nuts.

your food sucks, FFS. we are doing something right, you just don't understand a lick about economics, the american dining industry.

and some of you guys have awful taste in food. dominoes isn't even pizza. places like that are one of the chief reasons that restaurants are so often a failing business, and have to pay servers low wages.

Comment

for those who have not seen the movie, there's a great scene about tipping in reservoire dogs, a classic movie. tipping allows waitresses [again, mostly women with low education,] to make enough money to live. minimum wage does not do that.

also, if a waiter is competent he can work his way up to a nice restaurant and make more than some of his friends who work in offices.

Comment

Originally posted by Rampad View Post
              Stop blaming consumers for the owners not paying their employees correctly. We don't go their to pay the owners wages, we go there to eat.

please tell me rampad is a larry reference. i need this.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                please tell me rampad is a larry reference. i need this.

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...5#post17900705

Comment

Tipping is customary. You don't have to do it, but if you want a good dining pace and someone who can recommend the better items on a menu than why not? You can blame the government, but if they increased wages than food costs go up. I've been in the restaurant business for 30 years....if my service sucks than the tip sucks. If someone is trying to give me a great experience and is on the ball I'll make sure they're taken care of. Serving is not an easy job by any means. These people put up with crap and smile back daily. It's easy to say they can get another job, but why should they? If you don't want to tip than go through the Wendy's drive thru. If you want an experience at a restaurant where a server makes you feel rich (even if you aren't) than take care of them because they're taking care of you. Like I said, the government makes these rates so don't take it out on the server. At least you can pick and choose what you're going to tip based on service. If everyone in this industry was making $15 an hour they wouldn't even bother trying and your bill would be at least 33% higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Thats like saying I should feel bad for canceling Netlfix cuz my lil $10/mo might be the straw that broke that camels back on someone losing their job at Netflix. Ultimately I gotta make decisions for me & the server gots to make decisions for her/him.
                    Paying/cancelling Netflix has nothing to do with tipping, not even as a very loosely based analogy. Someone losing their job over you not paying for the optional luxury that is Netflix is not the same as you going out to a restaurant and not tipping.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      for those who have not seen the movie, there's a great scene about tipping in reservoire dogs, a classic movie. tipping allows waitresses [again, mostly women with low education,] to make enough money to live. minimum wage does not do that.

also, if a waiter is competent he can work his way up to a nice restaurant and make more than some of his friends who work in offices.
                      He was destroyed by his associates for not tipping. He tipped anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X