No announcement yet.

Chinese tourists are all over Tokyo, buying everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
    The Chinese will give the Japanese, South Koreans, Philippines the law soon. They are already exerting both military and financial power over many Asian countries.
    China is a powerful country with lots of potential, but I imagine that other countries wishing to continue doing their own thing should be able to; I don't doubt for a second that Japan can compete/collaborate with anybody in both innovation and economics, for example. The same goes for the rest, although the Philippines does have a lot of obstacles to overcome when compared to Japan and South Korea.

I mean, it may sound funny, but those toilet ideas the Japanese have come up with are pure, useful innovation. The Japanese have a sense for style and convenience which the rest of the world would do well by following up on.

There are the downsides of excessive workdays and a life/work/relationship balance in Japan, but every country has its own issues. I would hope that they'd eventually learn to tone things down and not put so much cultural importance on money. It's up to them, but I believe they can do it.
    Last edited by SunSpace; 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
      China is a powerful country with lots of potential, but I imagine that other countries wishing to continue doing their own thing should be able to; I don't doubt for a second that Japan can compete/collaborate with anybody in both innovation and economics, for example. The same goes for the rest, although the Philippines does have a lot of obstacles to overcome when compared to Japan and South Korea.

I mean, it may sound funny, but those toilet ideas the Japanese have come up with are pure, useful innovation. The Japanese have a sense for style and convenience which the rest of the world would do well by following up on.

There are the downsides of excessive workdays and a life/work/relationship balance in Japan, but every country has its own issues. I would hope that they'd eventually learn to tone things down and not put so much cultural importance on money. It's up to them, but I believe they can do it.

There is a serious hollowing out of Japanese industries at the moment. Toyota is building cars in Mexico. A lot of the overtime is merely wasted energy. Many try to look busy versus actually being busy.

I'm in IT finance and make sure my team and I go home as early as possible after the trading floor closes.

The Philippines is not strong enough to deal with the Chinese.

Comment

There is a serious hollowing out of Japanese industries at the moment. Toyota is building cars in Mexico. A lot of the overtime is merely wasted energy. Many try to look busy versus actually being busy.

I'm in IT finance and make sure my team and I go home as early as possible after the trading floor closes.

The Philippines is not strong enough to deal with the Chinese.
        I don't know what the future of the Philippines will be, especially with Duterte around; we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

I'm surprised (or perhaps not) that Toyota is expanding in Mexico. That company always seemed like it had strong roots in Japan, but the elite around the world all seem to put profits before people; they love to take advantage of slave wages in poor countries.

I've heard about the "fake productivity" in Japan; it appears the culture values hanging around until the boss leaves as a show of respect. That doesn't make any sense to me, especially when one considers the deteriorating effects this has on the personal lives of employees.

But what are they to do? In a culture where marriages have had the tendency to be based around money, and where the Japanese youth have witnessed what becomes of that and refuse to follow in their parents footsteps, or simply cannot follow because no one will accept being in a relationship with an economically struggling person (leading to epidemic levels of isolation), there's not much of an option for those seeking a "normal" life other than to follow work culture.

It's sad.

Not to mention that it must be extremely annoying to be surrounded by people who pretend to be busy all the time, lol.

Comment

I don't know what the future of the Philippines will be, especially with Duterte around; we'll have to wait and see where it goes.

I'm surprised (or perhaps not) that Toyota is expanding in Mexico. That company always seemed like it had strong roots in Japan, but the elite around the world all seem to put profits before people; they love to take advantage of slave wages in poor countries.

I've heard about the "fake productivity" in Japan; it appears the culture values hanging around until the boss leaves as a show of respect. That doesn't make any sense to me, especially when one considers the deteriorating effects this has on the personal lives of employees.

But what are they to do? In a culture where marriages have had the tendency to be based around money, and where the Japanese youth have witnessed what becomes of that and refuse to follow in their parents footsteps, or simply cannot follow because no one will accept being in a relationship with an economically struggling person (leading to epidemic levels of isolation), there's not much of an option for those seeking a "normal" life other than to follow work culture.

It's sad.

Not to mention that it must be extremely annoying to be surrounded by people who pretend to be busy all the time, lol.
          My team loves me, I send them home when I know they got nothing to do. At first this really threw them off their routine. I told them that there will be a time when we need all hands on deck, but not now. Other senior managers at my level (all Japanese) complained to me privately that I was causing their team's members to want to leave at a reasonable time too. My answer, " mind your own teams and never bring me unsolicited advice again!"

My team is firing on all cylinders. I had a Japanese boss many years ago and we would all sit around pretending to be busy as he read his paper. We left after he left. It sucked and I learned, learned not to waste time and resources looking busy.

Comment

My team loves me, I send them home when I know they got nothing to do. At first this really threw them off their routine. I told them that there will be a time when we need all hands on deck, but not now. Other senior managers at my level (all Japanese) complained to me privately that I was causing their team's members to want to leave at a reasonable time too. My answer, " mind your own teams and never bring me unsolicited advice again!"

My team is firing on all cylinders. I had a Japanese boss many years ago and we would all sit around pretending to be busy as he read his paper. We left after he left. It sucked and I learned, learned not to waste time and resources looking busy.
            Great counter; I don't know how those bosses believe that having everyone waiting around doing nothing is somehow useful. It's a waste of time and money, and it probably lowers overall productivity because employees are simply overworked (even if it's with nonsense).

Work should never become someone's life. It's a means to an end, not an end through means, lol.

Comment

Great counter; I don't know how those bosses believe that having everyone waiting around doing nothing is somehow useful. It's a waste of time and money, and it probably lowers overall productivity because employees are simply overworked (even if it's with nonsense).

Work should never become someone's life. It's a means to an end, not an end through means, lol.
              The adaptation the workers have developed is to show up on time, do as little as possible until after lunch. They do this because they know they are going to be there late anyway, so they actually start real work later to be busy.

It's a crap way of working. My team and I have a quick standing morning meeting, I check in with them throughout the day, and we get stuff done and go home. The culture is hard to change. I got other guys trying to join my team, but I have no head count. Lots of misallowcated talent.

Comment

The adaptation the workers have developed is to show up on time, do as little as possible until after lunch. They do this because they know they are going to be there late anyway, so they actually start real work later to be busy.

It's a crap way of working. My team and I have a quick standing morning meeting, I check in with them throughout the day, and we get stuff done and go home. The culture is hard to change. I got other guys trying to join my team, but I have no head count. Lots of misallowcated talent.
                Western work culture is the opposite, but equally unfair; it's always a big rush to get a ridiculous amount of work done by a single person. And if they're efficient enough to complete enough of the tasks to avoid the need for anyone to rush, the employee gets sent home, since they're no longer "needed."

Sometimes they'll even force employees to wait around at the workplace without pay, too.

That structure combined with borderline slave wages make it so employees are fully dependent on living paycheck to paycheck.

The sad part is that once employees get sick, as they grow older, they are simply replaced, and that's the end of it.

Comment

Western work culture is the opposite, but equally unfair; it's always a big rush to get a ridiculous amount of work done by a single person. And if they're efficient enough to complete enough of the tasks to avoid the need for anyone to rush, the employee gets sent home, since they're no longer "needed."

Sometimes they'll even force employees to wait around at the workplace without pay, too.

That structure combined with borderline slave wages make it so employees are fully dependent on living paycheck to paycheck.

The sad part is that once employees get sick, as they grow older, they are simply replaced, and that's the end of it.
                  Very true. But, in Japan age discrimination isn't against the law. Companies will ask your age and won't interview a candidate depending on age. Some roles will say "Age less that 35 years old. 60 is mandatory retirement for most employees.

Comment

• I see crazy things here.1 saw two Japanese guys fight in the office. It was funny.

Comment

Very true. But, in Japan age discrimination isn't against the law. Companies will ask your age and won't interview a candidate depending on age. Some roles will say "Age less that 35 years old. 60 is mandatory retirement for most employees.
                      Wow, that's really unfortunate for older people. I've heard that Japan isn't the best place to retire in; I wonder how the elderly survive.

Comment

Working...
                      X