Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone here familiar with the 1921 Tulsa, Oklahoma massacre?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone here familiar with the 1921 Tulsa, Oklahoma massacre?

I thought I'd share this since it's not talked about in the vast majority of public schools or history channels. Thankfully my dad always made me read books strictly on black history after school back when I was a kid, otherwise I would have never known this. You always hear and read about massacres and other major events that had taken place a long time ago, but never this. It's officially called the Tulsa race "riot", but it was a complete massacre.

It was a 100% black community with more than 600 business, 21 churches, 30 restaurants, 41 grocery stores, libraries, schools, law offices, a hospital, a bank, a post office, six privately owned airplanes, a bus system, a two movie theaters all within a 36 block radius.

It was a thriving community...... Until thousands of jealous whites from all over, including WW1 vets and the members of the KKK burned it all to the ground. Airplanes carrying white assailants fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes and fleeing families. Several groups of blacks attempted to organize a defense, but they were overwhelmed by the number of armed whites. Many blacks surrendered. Others returned fire, and ultimately died.

An American Red Cross social worker, reported that up to 300 blacks were killed. He also reported that there was a rush to bury the bodies and that no records were made of many burials.

The commercial section of Greenwood was destroyed. This included 191 businesses, a junior high school, several churches and the only hospital in the district. The Red Cross reported that 1,256 houses were burned and another 215 were looted but not burned. The Tulsa Real Estate Exchange estimated property losses amounted to $1.5 million in real estate and $750,000 in personal property ($30 million in 2016). Local citizens had filed more than $1.8 million in riot-related claims against the city by June 6, 1922

Here's an excellent video of the facts of the massacre. Quite long but very much worth it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

1 star thread. The white man is infallible

Comment

Black Wall Street they used to call it.

Comment

I'm from North Tulsa, Black Wallstreet, the real 918. Here's the same areas now. The riots were so long ago, but their legacy lives on. North Tulsa struggles to have any businesses make it. Its a damn shame.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
          I thought I'd share this since it's not talked about in the vast majority of public schools or history channels. Thankfully my dad always made me read books strictly on black history after school back when I was a kid, otherwise I would have never known this. You always hear and read about massacres and other major events that had taken place a long time ago, but never this. It's officially called the Tulsa race "riot", but it was a complete massacre.

It was a 100% black community with more than 600 business, 21 churches, 30 restaurants, 41 grocery stores, libraries, schools, law offices, a hospital, a bank, a post office, six privately owned airplanes, a bus system, a two movie theaters all within a 36 block radius.

It was a thriving community...... Until thousands of jealous whites from all over, including WW1 vets and the members of the KKK burned it all to the ground. Airplanes carrying white assailants fired rifles and dropped firebombs on buildings, homes and fleeing families. Several groups of blacks attempted to organize a defense, but they were overwhelmed by the number of armed whites. Many blacks surrendered. Others returned fire, and ultimately died.

An American Red Cross social worker, reported that up to 300 blacks were killed. He also reported that there was a rush to bury the bodies and that no records were made of many burials.

The commercial section of Greenwood was destroyed. This included 191 businesses, a junior high school, several churches and the only hospital in the district. The Red Cross reported that 1,256 houses were burned and another 215 were looted but not burned. The Tulsa Real Estate Exchange estimated property losses amounted to $1.5 million in real estate and $750,000 in personal property ($30 million in 2016). Local citizens had filed more than $1.8 million in riot-related claims against the city by June 6, 1922

Here's an excellent video of the facts of the massacre. Quite long but very much worth it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

Wow, were the KKK ******s?

Comment

The Dallas Morning News has had in depth stories about the massacre. It's not a secret nor hasn't been covered up. Maybe people would rather not talk about past atrocities but focus on present day issues and how to address them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
              The Dallas Morning News has had in depth stories about the massacre. It's not a secret nor hasn't been covered up. Maybe people would rather not talk about past atrocities but focus on present day issues and how to address them.
              Everyone from the 918 knows the story, and its commemorated in multiple places in Black Tulsa. It's no secret here, for sure.

Comment

Dont you find that strange?

Why not?

Comment

PLEASE. Public schools and the history outlets go on and on about about other massacres and atrocities (mostly white) like clockwork. They make sure not to let people forget about those events.

So the Dallas Morning news have in depth stories about the massacre. What about all the other states? Better yet, how come the History Channel wont even touch this piece of history? They go on and on about other massacres, why not this one? They have no problem showing their viewers nationwide of blacks running around chucking spears in the jungles of Africa. How about show this large 100% black community that was prospering and thriving only to be completely destroyed by jealous whites acting like savages.

Guess they think it would hit too hard for some viewers and would completely screw up their minds thinking all blacks are dumb and stupid savages and they would rather have the images of blacks swinging from trees in the jungles of Africa or some stupid ass episodes of gangland. Same thing with news outlets. None of the good things blacks do everyday get reported for prime time news. Instead it's always the bad side of blacks.
                  Last edited by BigNuts; 04-02-2016, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
                    PLEASE. Public schools and the history outlets go on and on about about other massacres and atrocities (mostly white) like clockwork. They make sure not to let people forget about those events.

So the Dallas Morning news have in depth stories about the massacre. What about all the other states? Better yet, how come the History Channel wont even touch this piece of history? They go on and on about other massacres, why not this one? They have no problem showing their viewers nationwide of blacks running around chucking spears in the jungles of Africa. How about show this large 100% black community that was prospering and thriving only to be completely destroyed by jealous whites acting like savages.

Guess they think it would hit too hard for some viewers and would completely screw up their minds thinking all blacks are dumb and stupid savages and they would rather have the images of blacks swinging from trees in the jungles of Africa or some stupid ass episodes of gangland. Same thing with news outlets. None of the good things blacks do everyday get reported for prime time news. Instead it's always the bad side of blacks.
                    This well known in almost all black communities and has been debated to death on YT. The sad part is, how the white ladies would go free shopping in the black women's houses afterwards taking their jewelries and clothes. I think after that, blacks kinda get apprehensive about rising to that level of success again, collectively; it was real heart breaking to see that and also, to know that the government was a part of it. Rosewood was similar, too, they at least made a movie about Rosewood.

Comment

Working...
                    X