Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone here familiar with the 1921 Tulsa, Oklahoma massacre?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enayze View Post
    Is that dude on the left on his cell phone? Time traveler

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
      Pearl Harbor is spammed almost every day on the History Channel. The Holocaust is spammed almost every day on the History Channel. 9/11 is spammed almost everyday on the history channel.
      These events are spammed in schools history books.

Yet there is no mention of the tulsa massacre in schools history books and it's never once been shown on the history channel.

You tell me why that is, genius.

History is filled with thousands of years of various topics and events. Just because the Tulsa tragedy wasn't mentioned, does not mean there is some huge conspiracy against black people.

Here is what I learned from the history books and the American school system concerning black history. I learned about slavery and the slave trade, and how it was only abolished in 1865, I learned that slaves were only worth 3/5 of a man when counting a states population. I learned that even after slavery blacks suffered segregation and discrimination until the civil rights movement with Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr and only after then was segregation lifted. I learned about Emmett Till, I learned about the treatment of black people in the early 20th century, through the required reading of To Kill a Mockingbird and various other race centered books. I learned about the Jim Crowe Laws, and the evil of the KKK. I learned about Malcolm X and the Black Panthers. .

I learned a lot about black history and relearned it each year in February. I learned these things since the 1st grade until the 12th for 12 years. The TV and your hated History Channel was also no exception. The civil rights movement and the Emmett Till tragedy has been very well documented on television. And I know I wasn't the only one, just about every single kid in America went through this same process.

Yeah so the Tulsa tragedy might not have been the focus of conversation in school concerning black people, but lets call a spade a spade and not create an illusion that America neglects black history, it doesn't, in fact it has a whole month dedicated to it.
      Last edited by Enayze; 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Horrible tragedy, and certainly one that people should not omit from their history books. A truly bizarre event, that casts shame on white America, this I will not argue. However, in today's time there is an overwhelming amount of negativity in a good portion of the black community, and these communities today are a far cry from Tulsa of 1921. The tragedy of Tulsa 1921 should be remembered and brought up, but it also should not be used as an excuse for not growing as a community or as an individual on the basis that it will happen again as poster Mega insinuated. The positive aspect of this black history does not negate the negative ones that followed it. In today's time a black man or woman has immensely more freedom and opportunity than anyone from 1921 could've dreamed of, which then begs the question why aren't their communities like this one popping up left and right
        See post 14. With all of today's opportunities for blacks, there are plenty of blacks that do take full advantage and go on to college and end up with a career. Did you know that there are more black men in college than in prison?

Comment

History is filled with thousands of years of various topics and events. Just because the Tulsa tragedy wasn't mentioned, does not mean there is some huge conspiracy against black people.

Here is what I learned from the history books and the American school system concerning black history. I learned about slavery and the slave trade, and how it was only abolished in 1865, I learned that slaves were only worth 3/5 of a man when counting a states population. I learned that even after slavery blacks suffered segregation and discrimination until the civil rights movement with Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King Jr and only after then was segregation lifted. I learned about Emmett Till, I learned about the treatment of black people in the early 20th century, through the required reading of To Kill a Mockingbird and various other race centered books. I learned about the Jim Crowe Laws, and the evil of the KKK. I learned about Malcolm X and the Black Panthers. .

I learned a lot about black history and relearned it each year in February. I learned these things since the 1st grade until the 12th for 12 years. The TV and your hated History Channel was also no exception. The civil rights movement and the Emmett Till tragedy has been very well documented on television. And I know I wasn't the only one, just about every single kid in America went through this same process.

Yeah so the Tulsa tragedy might not have been the focus of conversation in school concerning black people, but lets call a spade a spade and not create an illusion that America neglects black history, it doesn't, in fact it has a whole month dedicated to it.
          But you must admit........ It is quite odd how the Tulsa massacre very rarely gets mentioned mainstream, if at all. Black wall street wasn't just some small neighborhood with a couple of people, a few houses, a single sheriff and a small food store. It literally had thousands of people, tons of businesses, banks, hospitals, schools, a huge university, their own private planes etc. and an almost non exist crime rate. I just feel that's a pretty huge part of history to omit.

My great grandmother who lives in Texas, is 98 and turning 99 in two months, was a survivor of the Tulsa massacre. She lived right there. She always goes on about stories of how beautiful it was there and would always say she remembers seeing whipping scars on some of the old members there. A lot of the members used to be slaves and even though slavery was abolished in 1865, it still quietly continued on in some areas. She doesn't talk much these days since all she does is sit in a wheel chair and her hearing is pretty much gone, but a few years ago, she would always talk about all she sees on tv is foolishness like BET and never anything positive. She does have a very strong hate for white people, but it's understandable.

Sad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
            Then blame the successful independent healthy, black community, deputize oakie's, and arm them, then go on a burning lynching spree.

Ain't that America, you and me, the home of the free..

Bruce Springsteen type ****.
            Post WW1, the majority of whites were doing bad and it was bad to see slaves doing better then them.
            Last edited by BigNuts; 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

See post 14. With all of today's opportunities for blacks, there are plenty of blacks that do take full advantage and go on to college and end up with a career. Did you know that there are more black men in college than in prison?
              Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not one of these people who you probably assume looks down on black people and has an inherently racist attitude. Today out of my close group of 4 friends (we are all close) one is black who went to an all black college, joined an all black fraternity (Kappa Alpha Psi) and then came back to Jersey and roomed with us while applying for a career, he is also Voting Trump. He now is attending academy ironically in Oklahoma to be a flight controller, and when he graduates stands to make significantly more money than your average American. We stay in touch just about every other day. So do I believe black people are just as capable as white people, absolutely. I also believe since he was raised in a good home, and has a good family that he was instilled with certain principles that gave him a much greater opportunity to succeed.

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not one of these people who you probably assume looks down on black people and has an inherently racist attitude. Today out of my close group of 4 friends (we are all close) one is black who went to an all black college, joined an all black fraternity (Kappa Alpha Psi) and then came back to Jersey and roomed with us while applying for a career, he is also Voting Trump. He now is attending academy ironically in Oklahoma to be a flight controller, and when he graduates stands to make significantly more money than your average American. We stay in touch just about every other day. So do I believe black people are just as capable as white people, absolutely. I also believe since he was raised in a good home, and has a good family that he was instilled with certain principles that gave him a much greater opportunity to succeed.
                That's good. I don't hate white people. As a matter of fact, I loooove white women. I just hate racist white people. Actually, I hate any racist person. Even racist blacks that are racist just to be racist. A good example would be that poster mr. earnhart or whatever his name is. Just flat out racist scum.

What I'm saying is yes, there are quite a few blacks in this country that are completely worthless and choose to remain being worthless by choosing not to better themselves and being a complete burden. I don't care for those blacks at all. They contribute nothing and overshadow the blacks that go to school, stay out of trouble, work a normal everyday job, etc etc. I am sure every race feels the same about the negative people in their race as well.

While there are plenty of useless blacks, there are just as many good blacks. Unfortunately, they get overshadowed, because in the media, rappers make good entertainment, drug dealers make good entertainment, being violent makes good entertainment.
                Last edited by BigNuts; 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM.

Comment

But you must admit........ It is quite odd how the Tulsa massacre very rarely gets mentioned mainstream, if at all. Black wall street wasn't just some small neighborhood with a couple of people, a few houses, a single sheriff and a small food store. It literally had thousands of people, tons of businesses, banks, hospitals, schools, a huge university, their own private planes etc. and an almost non exist crime rate. I just feel that's a pretty huge part of history to omit.

My great grandmother who lives in Texas, is 98 and turning 99 in two months, was a survivor of the Tulsa massacre. She lived right there. She always goes on about stories of how beautiful it was there and would always say she remembers seeing whipping scars on some of the old members there. A lot of the members used to be slaves and even though slavery was abolished in 1865, it still quietly continued on in some areas. She doesn't talk much these days since all she does is sit in a wheel chair and her hearing is pretty much gone, but a few years ago, she would always talk about all she sees on tv is foolishness like BET and never anything positive. She does have a very strong hate for white people, but it's understandable.

Sad stuff.

I'm all for highlighting the Tulsa tragedy and having it be part of the education curriculum. And the more people you alert to it the more chance it has to become a well known event. I think out of that tragedy there is a lot positivity that could be taught to current and future generations of black children. In that they could see they are just as intelligent and capable as any white or asian man.

Comment

Sad stuff.
                    Big Nuts

Obviously this massacre has a personal resonance for you since your grandmother lived through it. It's too bad that she still has hate in her heart at the age of 99....it's tough to live that way but she lived through a horrible event. It's tough to "turn the other cheek" but .....

This massacre isn't being swept under the rug...but unfortunately it's just another atrocity among thousands of years of atrocities. A hundred years ago the Turks massacred ONE MILLION Armenians....ONE MILLION! Like Joe Stalin said "one death is a tragedy, one million deaths is a statistic".

All I can say is don't let hate and anger rule your actions and your heart. It's hard to live that way. And counterproductive.

Moo

Comment

Horrible tragedy, and certainly one that people should not omit from their history books. A truly bizarre event, that casts shame on white America, this I will not argue. However, in today's time there is an overwhelming amount of negativity in a good portion of the black community, and these communities today are a far cry from Tulsa of 1921. The tragedy of Tulsa 1921 should be remembered and brought up, but it also should not be used as an excuse for not growing as a community or as an individual on the basis that it will happen again as poster Mega insinuated. The positive aspect of this black history does not negate the negative ones that followed it. In today's time a black man or woman has immensely more freedom and opportunity than anyone from 1921 could've dreamed of, which then begs the question why aren't their communities like this one popping up left and right today?

Many other tribes and ethnicities suffered similar, and worse atrocities, yet that was no excuse to not strive to rise to that level of success.

Here are some photos of Crystal Night from 1938, when the Germans decided to destroy all Jewish owned businesses.

We all know what followed in a couple of years concerning the Jews.
                      What ethnicity or race suffer worst than blacks? Of course, you missed the point. The Jews get to talk about their history without any backlash. In fact, they make countless movies and reward themselves with many awards. However, while the jew can disguise as regular whites folks, blacks don't have this privilege. Therefore, many Jews were able to change their names and melted into America's white society. This is not claiming victim status to the degenerates who are about to pop up any minute, but to shed light on what I see as unfair comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X