Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Wrestling Fans on BoxingScene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random as hell but was anybody a fan of The Model Rick Martel, Can-Am Connection, British Bulldog & Owen Hart, Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo or women like Rockin' Robin, Velvet McIntyre or Bertha Faye?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doctor Warp View Post
      Random as hell but was anybody a fan of The Model Rick Martel, Can-Am Connection, British Bulldog & Owen Hart, Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo or women like Rockin' Robin, Velvet McIntyre or Bertha Faye?
      Owen and Bulldog was my favorite tag team when they were around. The tag division was really weak at the time, they had teams like Godwinns, Smoking Gunns, Skip and Zip, and nothing they did was interesting. So it was nice to see two good wrestlers who happened to be brother in-laws form a good team.

It's a shame they had only one title reign, but they were both too good as singles wrestlers to keep them in a tag team for too long. It was also pretty cool that they were tag champs but also held the IC and European titles at the same time.
      Doctor Warp Doctor Warp likes this.

Comment

• Japanese chick pro tasking is Jack material

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

Owen and Bulldog was my favorite tag team when they were around. The tag division was really weak at the time, they had teams like Godwinns, Smoking Gunns, Skip and Zip, and nothing they did was interesting. So it was nice to see two good wrestlers who happened to be brother in-laws form a good team.

It's a shame they had only one title reign, but they were both too good as singles wrestlers to keep them in a tag team for too long. It was also pretty cool that they were tag champs but also held the IC and European titles at the same time.
          I think the only other bright spot of the division was Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon. Always thought it was too bad the tag division was weak at the time b/c they probably get overshadowed when it comes to good teams in WWE history.

Comment

I think the only other bright spot of the division was Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon. Always thought it was too bad the tag division was weak at the time b/c they probably get overshadowed when it comes to good teams in WWE history.
            Furnas and LaFon would have actually done a lot better in this era. People appreciate technical workhorses today much more than in the 90s. Back then you needed a gimmick or a larger than life personality, nowadays you can get over just being a great worker. That's why someone like Claudio Castagnoli is one of the most popular wrestlers today just based on his ring work alone, he wouldn't have made it too far if he was around during the 80s and 90s, at least not in the U.S.

Comment

• Wouldn't it be cool if AEW and WWE traded talent for WrestleMania. Maybe they let AJ Styles go to AEW for a bit after LA Knight beats him since he seems to hit a snag in WWE. Trying to think who else would be cool to go to AEW to stir things up
              But it would be in return for WWE getting the Hardy's for the ladder match and golddust maybe coming in to neutralize the rock and help Cody finish his story. Because the bloodline still has numbers even with jey and Rollins helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
                Wouldn't it be cool if AEW and WWE traded talent for WrestleMania. Maybe they let AJ Styles go to AEW for a bit after LA Knight beats him since he seems to hit a snag in WWE. Trying to think who else would be cool to go to AEW to stir things up
                But it would be in return for WWE getting the Hardy's for the ladder match and golddust maybe coming in to neutralize the rock and help Cody finish his story. Because the bloodline still has numbers even with jey and Rollins helps.
                Maybe have MJF feud with Cody and Dustin help his brother too.

Comment

Random as hell but was anybody a fan of The Model Rick Martel, Can-Am Connection, British Bulldog & Owen Hart, Barry Windham & Mike Rotundo or women like Rockin' Robin, Velvet McIntyre or Bertha Faye?
                  Bertha Faye and Rockin Robin no. The rest yes. Big Rick Martel fan growing up. Great tag team worker who sometimes did singles matches as a face, then turned on Tito Santana and had a great heel run as The Model. The US Express team I'm not as big a fan of, but liked Windham and Rotunda in Crockett, later WCW. They were booked way better there. Only decent thing Rotunda did in WWF was Money Inc. Windham is a legend outside of WWF, having major title runs, being in great feuds and being one of the key members of The Four Horsemen. He came in after Ole. Flair, Arn, Tully and Barry are considered the best lineup of that faction.

Great A&E Bio on Bulldog just aired too. Check out OVP Canon on youtube. They air old WWF episodes and are now up to Sept. 1986, which is the first episode of WWF Superstars. In about 4 weeks, they should be showing Honky Tonk Man's debut on Wrestling Challenge. Hard to believe he was brought in as a face, even though he seemed to be one in Stampede. He was a hated heel in the southern territories though, so Honky thought in shoot interviews his tepid reactions might have been because he was remembered from those days. Can-Am Connection should be coming up soon after that. Owen was great, good promo, great worker. Bret's my favorite. And if you're talking British Bulldog, you can't forget Dynamite Kid, another ATG worker.

Velvet was really good in the women's division. 2 time women's tag champ and got to showcase her skills in the first Survivor Series in 1987. So don't let that quick loss to Moolah in Mania 2 fool you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

Furnas and LaFon would have actually done a lot better in this era. People appreciate technical workhorses today much more than in the 90s. Back then you needed a gimmick or a larger than life personality, nowadays you can get over just being a great worker. That's why someone like Claudio Castagnoli is one of the most popular wrestlers today just based on his ring work alone, he wouldn't have made it too far if he was around during the 80s and 90s, at least not in the U.S.
                    Good point. That's why Curt Hennig didn't get a run with the world title in WWF, only AWA, because Verne Gagne preferred good workers over gimmicks. And, of course, Hogan's golden shovel politicking to keep Mr. Perfect in the mid card. That's why Bret Hart didn't even get to sniff a world title run until the bigger guys couldn't be pushed after the steroid trial. Only downside now is a few too many smaller guys. We need more larger wrestlers like Miro, Jake Hager and Lance Archer these days. You know, some Brock Lesnar type that will be a credible threat. Miro and Hager don't seem to be on TV these days and Archer is in a trio with The Righteous tag team.

Is it just me or do they also remind you guys of the old Bray Wyatt gimmick? Also, Jay White reminds me of Wyatt, since he also does the Sister Abigal finisher but he calls it something else. Looks like he calls it the Blade Runner. So are they influenced by him or was this gimmick and finisher something that existed before Wyatt? Only time I remember it earlier was Dan Spivey with the Waylon Mercy character. So you think it's on homage or they maybe knew Wyatt?

Comment

• Cody will definitely need a 4th guy now to even the odds. With LA Knight taking on AJ Styles, who do you think it will be? I'm thinking probably Randy Orton. So this way you have Cody, Jey, Seth and then someone like Randy in case Rocky attacks on the go home Smackdown and at Wrestlemania. Speculation now is that either Cody wins clean and The Rock uses Bloodline Rules when he challenges Cody down the line for the title, say Summerslam or maybe Royal Rumble or that maybe Rock pins Cody with help from family, Cody wins the title on Night 2 in a hugely overbooked finish, which would also set up a future title match with The Rock. They're also saying in the news that probably Rock and Roman feud down the line because one is not getting enough attention/TV time and the feud would be over whose the Head of the Table, which could be the Mania 41 match. Unless they wanna do Cody/Rock at Mania.

I'm guessing with all of this that whoever wins the next Money in the Bank will probably cash in for the other world title. Which I'm thinking Drew will win on Night 2 as well. I wonder when they'll have Priest cash in. A lot of fans are saying they don't wanna see it at Mania, so maybe Elimination Chamber, which is what Edge did in the first ever cash in. Bayley better win too.

Comment

Working...
                      X