Any Wrestling Fans on BoxingScene?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

Yeah, definitely.

What's funny is that the only two Blood and Guts matches AEW has done so far didn't actually end their respective feuds.
    Oh yeah. Kinda weird then, if you think about it. Didn't War Games matches usually settle feuds in the old days? Usually against the old Four Horsemen faction in Crockett/Mid Atlantic promotion against Dusty Rhodes and about 3-4 other guys, usually Nikita and/or Road Warriors?

The second one really should've though, since the face faction won that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

Good stuff man. But then Gorgeous George Wagner was influential in his own way then. To later wrestlers like Exotic Adrian Street and Adorable Adrian Adonis and anyone who later had a more feminine gimmick. I love how Adonis even carried around a briefcase that said "Relax With Trudy" on it. There's a bio on Adonis on the next Dark Side of the Ring coming up in about 2 weeks, so I hope it's actually explained what that meant. Many believed Adonis' effeminate "Adorable" persona was contained in there, as once he dyed his hair bleach blonde and donned the Adorable gimmick/wore makeup, he no longer carried the briefcase. And speaking of the strut, Jeff Jarrett, whose dad was promoter Jerry Jarrett​ ("well you know") still does the strut during matches in the current AEW promotion. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WBtu4J7YTD0
      Ricki Starr was the first blatantly ****sexual gimmick in wrestling. Bernard Herman broke into the game in the early '50's and was getting no where fast. Jack Pfefer became his manager (legitimate business manager) in the mi-50's and created the "Rick Starr" ballet dancer persona. He became an instant success and fan favorite. Back in my neighborhood in Brooklyn EVERYONE watched Capitol Wrestling From Washington, DC" in the '50's and early '60's. The gals LOVED Ricki and we guys just kind of raised our eyes, smiled, and shrugged. LOL

Starr left the States in the mid-'60's and settled in the U.K. where he wrestled for a few years and then retired and disappeared from public view for decades until he passed a few years ago.

From my collection a large format paper poster advertising a show featuring Ricki Starr in Rotherham, UK (near Sheffield).

Rick Starr vs. Count Karl Von Hess

Last edited by Batko10; 06-28-2023, 10:40 AM.
      Doctor Warp Doctor Warp likes this.

Comment

Yeah, definitely.

What's funny is that the only two Blood and Guts matches AEW has done so far didn't actually end their respective feuds.
        Well I hope it does this time. Because I just heard that on this week's Dynamite that BCC just challenged The Elite to a Blood and Guts match. So I'm guessing that will be the main event on next week's Dynamite. Wonder why they never do these on pay per views. I guess they use the match to pop a rating. Gonna try and see if I can catch not only Double or Nothing, but the pay per view where MJF beat Danielson in that ironman match because I think I might have missed that one too. Hopefully, I get to catch both next weekend after going through more of my Bret Hart set. That thing might take me all summer to finish.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post

Well I hope it does this time. Because I just heard that on this week's Dynamite that BCC just challenged The Elite to a Blood and Guts match. So I'm guessing that will be the main event on next week's Dynamite. Wonder why they never do these on pay per views. I guess they use the match to pop a rating. Gonna try and see if I can catch not only Double or Nothing, but the pay per view where MJF beat Danielson in that ironman match because I think I might have missed that one too. Hopefully, I get to catch both next weekend after going through more of my Bret Hart set. That thing might take me all summer to finish.
          I guess they haven't done that match on PPV because the timing just never worked out. They usually do Anarchy in the Arena at PPVs.

I heard the AEW game is pretty good. I'll probably get it at some point when the price goes down. I just ordered a used copy of WWE 2K23 on Ebay, should keep me busy for a while. The GM mode is supposed to be way better than 2k22. They even have War Games in it.

No Blood and Guts match in the AEW game unfortunately, but they have the exploding barb wire death match though.

Comment

I guess they haven't done that match on PPV because the timing just never worked out. They usually do Anarchy in the Arena at PPVs.

I heard the AEW game is pretty good. I'll probably get it at some point when the price goes down. I just ordered a used copy of WWE 2K23 on Ebay, should keep me busy for a while. The GM mode is supposed to be way better than 2k22. They even have War Games in it.

No Blood and Guts match in the AEW game unfortunately, but they have the exploding barb wire death match though.
            NICE. And probably in the next game for Blood and Guts. So there's Blood and Guts now between Elite and BCC? Should be good. Hope this settles things and they don't do some dumb angle like Eddie turning on The Elite and just end this damn feud already. Let both factions move on to other things already, since they've both gotten plenty of wins over each other.

I've noticed CM Punk seems to be getting booed a lot outside of Chicago, kind of like Bret Hart in 1997. Interesting.
            Last edited by Anthony342; 06-29-2023, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• JUNE 30, 1961 / COMISKEY PARK, CHICAGO

NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS (CHALLENGER) vs. PAT O'CONNOR (NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION)

This is the 62nd anniversary of the NWA title switch between challengers Nature Boy Buddy Rogers and NWA champ Pat O'Connor. The crowning of the National Wrestling Alliance's FIRST heel World Heavyweight Champion took place in front of a record breaking crowd of 38,662 fans 50 years after the first title defense in that venue. In 1911 Frank Gotch defeated George Hackenschmidt in the newly built Comiskey Park stadium before 30,000 fans. The Rogers-O'Connor attendance record stood for over two and a half decades until Wrestle Mania III in the Michigan "Silver Dome."

FROM MY COLLECTION:

Chicago Sun Times Articles on the title switch.

Vintage program sold at the show.

Entire "Wrestling Life" issue devoted to the title switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Batko10 View Post
                JUNE 30, 1961 / COMISKEY PARK, CHICAGO

NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS (CHALLENGER) vs. PAT O'CONNOR (NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION)

This is the 62nd anniversary of the NWA title switch between challengers Nature Boy Buddy Rogers and NWA champ Pat O'Connor. The crowning of the National Wrestling Alliance's FIRST heel World Heavyweight Champion took place in front of a record breaking crowd of 38,662 fans 50 years after the first title defense in that venue. In 1911 Frank Gotch defeated George Hackenschmidt in the newly built Comiskey Park stadium before 30,000 fans. The Rogers-O'Connor attendance record stood for over two and a half decades until Wrestle Mania III in the Michigan "Silver Dome."

FROM MY COLLECTION:

Chicago Sun Times Articles on the title switch.

Vintage program sold at the show.

Entire "Wrestling Life" issue devoted to the title switch.

Back when most believed wrestling was real
                Doctor Warp Doctor Warp likes this.

Comment

• AEW is really cranking up the solid matches in the last few weeks. Really enjoying this stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by kara View Post

Back when most believed wrestling was real
                    When my son was around 12 I asked him if he wanted to see some wrestlers from my era. He agreed and I put on a video of the Rogers-O'Connor title switch in Comiskey Park. Having been brought up on Stone Cold, 'Taker, Kane, the Rock and the sports entertainment game I figured he would be bored stiff watching Rogers and O'Connor go at it. BTW, I always emphasized that wrestling was a work so he wouldn't go out and accidentally break some kids neck with a pile driver or something.

Anyway, the kid sat there for 30 minutes without moving. When the video ended he turned to me and said, "So, pop. Some of the matches were for real in your day." Out of the mouth of babes...!

The reason we believed wrestling was real back in the '50's and '60's was because it LOOKED like two guys actually fighting and not putting on an acrobatic show the way they do on WWE today.

Last edited by Batko10; 07-01-2023, 10:20 AM.
                    kara kara likes this.

Comment

• WOW did not think Roman would take an L ,, granted it was in a tag-team match ..But still............Great match BTW
                      Willy Wanker Willy Wanker likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X